David Carr trade bait

RLflutie7

Stabler, no?

Actually, Dan Pastorini. Plunkett went from NE to SF for a few years, then onto the apparent scrap heap in Oakland. Pastorini got hurt in 1980 (Pastorini started the game against the Bills that year, the first home game in years not to be blacked out), Plunkett took over and led the Raiders to Super Bowl XV. It's a great story.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, no one here apparently remembers that Charlie C's first action as GM was to throw a huge salary at LT Tony Boselli, which naturally made all of the O-Line Fundamentalists nod in solemn agreement and call Casserly a genius.

Boselli though was washed up--bad shoulder--and so much for that first big move.

the texans have to be one of the dumbest teams out there. first passing on Bush, now wanting to trade carr.

They gave Carr a HUGE roster bonus at the begining of last season. if they didnt like him then they should have cut him loose bfore then. so they give him a ton of money (eating up even more cap space) and now 1 season later want to drop him?

Carr is one of the few stars on that team. They have a good QB/WR team going and they want to screw that up? ive watched some texans games, thier offense (with carr) is what keeps that team in the game, even with their horrable O-Line.

With my luck he will be traded to the Miami dolphins for a 5th rounder and become a damn probowler.

people call him a bust because he was the 1st overall pick and cant get his team to the playoffs. but thats not all his fault. he was drafted by an expansion team. they aquired good WRs but there is only so much you can do with out at least a decent O-Line or defense. Fans are tired of seeing their team lose and it looks like they are willing to use one of their best players as a scapegoat. Their GM and head coach should be balmed. where are the quality FA signings? have they even tried to get an O-Line? its just sad.

As to the Reggie Bush issue, if they take Bush, who's the "Deuce" they have that will get 20-25 carries a game and allow Bush to be effective as a flanker, which is basically what he is there? Oh, and who's their Colston? Horn? Henderson?

Then again, Bush could probably carry that team alone to another 5-6 wins. All he'd have to do is run outside (since he has trouble running in between tackles) and he could get to the corner faster than the defense. It's that simple.

As to the Reggie Bush issue, if they take Bush, who's the "Deuce" they have that will get 20-25 carries a game and allow Bush to be effective as a flanker, which is basically what he is there? Oh, and who's their Colston? Horn? Henderson?

Then again, Bush could probably carry that team alone to another 5-6 wins. All he'd have to do is run outside (since he has trouble running in between tackles) and he could get to the corner faster than the defense. It's that simple.

They have a lot of skill on that offense in NO, no doubt. I do think if Davis hadn't gotten hurt, he and Bush would have made a great 1-2 punch.

Hold on a second here....Carr did not succeed because his O-Line gave him zero time...

Just like when RJ got sacked too often here...Flutie stepped right in and the sacks disappeared...

Same with Drew in New England and Brady stepped into the same situation and the sacks went down considerably..

Nah, has nothing to do much with QB presence in the pocket.

Carr = Richer RJ

the texans have to be one of the dumbest teams out there. first passing on Bush, now wanting to trade carr.

They gave Carr a HUGE roster bonus at the begining of last season. if they didnt like him then they should have cut him loose bfore then. so they give him a ton of money (eating up even more cap space) and now 1 season later want to drop him?

This Carr episode reminds me so much of the Rob Johnson Fiasco....

TD and GW come in and make Rob johnson the starter and cut ties with Flutie.

The new regime in Houston comes in and pays the big roster bonus and keep David Carr

During the Season,

Rob Johnson struggled to learn the WCO and the Bills finished a bad 3-13.

David Carr struggled to grasp the new offense and even though they made a late rally, they still finished under .500.

A year later,

Rob Johnson is sent packing and TD and GW replaced him with Drew Bledsoe by trading their 1st round pick.

David Carr is on his way out and is likely to be replaced by another retread Jake Plummer.

Two years later,

Drew Bledsoe after having a pro-bowl type 1/2 season had his season unwound when the Bills met the Patriots. The Patriots showed why Bledsoe is not a NFL caliber QB and showed why the Bills will never win against them under Bledsoe.

Jake Plummer will make a couple of 4th qtr comebacks and make everyone think he is this years version of Jeff Garcia, but will prove in the end that he is no better than a Drew Bledsoe and will eventually be sent packing.

Hold on a second here....Carr did not succeed because his O-Line gave him zero time...

Just like when RJ got sacked too often here...Flutie stepped right in and the sacks disappeared...

Same with Drew in New England and Brady stepped into the same situation and the sacks went down considerably..

Nah, has nothing to do much with QB presence in the pocket.

Carr = Richer RJ

I'm guessing you're not comparing the situations of David Carr and Tom Brady, right?

They did? They have one excellent receiver in Andre Johnson. I'm not sure who else at this rate is or was good. Corey Bradford? Jabar Gaffney? Jermaine Lewis? A declining Moulds? Jerome Mathis?

Point being he hasn't been working with much besides Johnson.

Probably the better point is that whomever the receivers were it was awfully difficult for Carr to find time to throw to them.

Also, think what Reggie Bush could have meant to this team, especially since Domnick Davis was out for the year and they had to play scrubs like Lundy, and Gadko.

Yeah, and so did the opponent's concern with us throwing deep or to the opposite side of the field. Though it took a few games for teams to figure this out.

Carr is a great example of my theory on how many hits a QB can take. He's taken more than his share and I doubt he'll ever overcome it.

Thanks Rich, Lori, and 34-78-83.

Your theory has merit, but I could see a team tossing a lone 3rd for him - forget those 4 and 5 additionals - too costly then.

The man the Bengals brought in under a what-if-Palmer-is-dead hypothesis, Anthony Wright, might get some FA action. He certainly did well in his pre-season outings. He's certainly available for bidders - B'gals recently re-signed last season's inactive Doug Johnson.

I find it odd that you can have that great a completion percentage and not otherwise better numbers (e.g., more TD's, fewer picks).

More Td's / Fewer picks often comes from not playing from behind like 80% of the time as much as it comes from the skill of the QB. When you are behind you are forced to take more risks.

More Td's / Fewer picks often comes from not playing from behind like 80% of the time as much as it comes from the skill of the QB. When you are behind you are forced to take more risks.

but wouldn't that then affect his completion percentage too? more risks = lower completion percentage.

I always thought what separated a good QB from a great one is his ability in the red zone. I wonder if that's Carr's missing link and that's why his TD's are so low.

Also, think what Reggie Bush could have meant to this team, especially since Domnick Davis was out for the year and they had to play scrubs like Lundy, and Gadko.

What could Reggie Bush do? Especially w/out the services of a big back like Deuce McAllister to be productive w/ 20-25 carries a game? And w/out wideouts like Marques Colston, Joe Horn, and Devery Henderson to get down the field?

I like Bush's ability and all, but the guy simply is not an every down back. If Houston would've taken him and tried to use him as such, they'd be no better than they are now.

:P

Stabler, yes. Plunkett was actually out of football for a year before signing with Oakland in '79, the Snake's last season there...

I never thought this would ever happen, but I have to correct you on this one (probably the 1st & last time ever). Plunkett was released by the 49ers on August 28, 1978 & signed with the Raiders on September 12, 1978. He was active for 14 games, but never played in any of those games during the 1978 season.

I'm not sure why people make so many excuses about Carr. Among them I've heard are these:

1) No o-line

2) No legitimate #2 receiver

3) No star RB

4) No change-of-pace RB

5) No great TE target

6) No prototypical slot guy

7) No help from the defense

You can make the same excuses for just about every QB in the league. No team has every component in place.

I like Carr and I agree

I'm not sure why people make so many excuses about Carr. Among them I've heard are these:

1) No o-line

2) No legitimate #2 receiver

3) No star RB

4) No change-of-pace RB

5) No great TE target

6) No prototypical slot guy

7) No help from the defense

You can make the same excuses for just about every QB in the league. No team has every component in place.

Yup. No perfect deck of cards is ever in place for any QB. Sometimes one has to step up through all the adversity and obstacles. Carr hasn't done that.