Lee Evans on Fox Radio

Ramius

Lee Evans is down at Fox Sports Radio's Super Week in the Bahamas, and he's been interviewed a couple of times this passed week. A lot fo the questions are about the Super Bowl, Indy, Chicago, and his days at Wisconsin, but they've had a few Bills related quesitons.

What was the reason for your huge increase in numbers this year?

Lee: Being Jp's main target, and being the X WR in a lot of play calls. He liked knowing the ball was coming his way and that he was the firs toption on many plays. Allowed him to make plays when the ball is being thrown to him. Also said that this year's new offensive system really help him play up to his abilities.

What was the biggest difference in JP this year?

Lee: Said in the second half of the seaosn, JP really became a leader on the field. Was more confident, atking charge in the huddle, leading the team, and the players really started to trust his abilities. The game winning TD pass (hou) gave him a ton of confidence.

Also, Lee mentioned that the team loves that JP is willing to stand in the pocket and take a hit to deliver the ball. Says he knows JP can run, but standing in there to make a play with his arm means a lot more to the team than running around does.

i've said it before - this off-season's number 1 goal should be getting jp and evans signed long-term......we know they are good, we know they can perform, and we need them long-term.........waiting only leads to the price increasing.......

the bills need to do a better job at retaining their own, and it starts with these two......i hope they're working hard on extensions for both of them

I'd LOVE for the Bills to get JP some help in the form of a true #2 WR and a real TE (Royal is a #2 TE), but the DL, OG, and CB spots need to be taken care of first.

The biggest help for JP right now would be a couple of guards who can actually play at a high level.

The biggest help for JP right now would be a couple of guards who can actually play at a high level.

I totally agree. A great TE or a great WR2 are equal in my book. It's only a slight difference as to how your offense works. But a great guard (or better yet TWO great guards) help you do everything better.

Actually if I had to pinpoint one position on offense, it would be TE. A good one can make all the difference.

Not to jump too much on the Royal bandwagon, but I think we started to see how much potential Royal has as a receiving TE (we already know he's a great blocker) once the offensive system opened up a bit the second half of the season and allowed him to actually run pass patterns.

I'm not worried at all about our TE situation, except perhaps what might happen if Royal goes down.

I wouldn't rate Royal in the top-16 of TE's, which means he's average to below.

Go take a look at some of the early round picks at tight end the last few years and tell me how many are rated in the top half of the league. Picking tight ends is one of the biggest crap shoots in the league. I can remember when this board desperately wanted the Bills to draft Kyle Brady. There is Schockey and Heap that have panned out. Do you really think Jeramy "oops" Stevens is much of an upgrade on Royals.

Finally, almost everyone rates tight ends on how many catches they make and yards they gain, when in fact on 3 plays out of 4 they are offensive linemen. How they block is probably more important than how many they catch.

Finally, almost everyone rates tight ends on how many catches they make and yards they gain, when in fact on 3 plays out of 4 they are offensive linemen. How they block is probably more important than how many they catch.

Exactly. And I've read more than once about how Royal is possibly the best blocking TE in the league. Aside from the colossal blunder he made in the Tennessee game, I'm fairly sold on his receiving skills, too.

Exactly. And I've read more than once about how Royal is possibly the best blocking TE in the league. Aside from the colossal blunder he made in the Tennessee game, I'm fairly sold on his receiving skills, too.

i'd have to add, his costly sack in the Indy game too :unsure:

Did you here when he was one with Rodney (Cheap Shot) Harrison?

Harrison was asking to sign with the Pats when his contract was up, because their current receivers stink.

Hands off, you filthy bastard!

Lee Evans is down at Fox Sports Radio's Super Week in the Bahamas, and he's been interviewed a couple of times this passed week. A lot fo the questions are about the Super Bowl, Indy, Chicago, and his days at Wisconsin, but they've had a few Bills related quesitons.

What was the reason for your huge increase in numbers this year?

Lee: Being Jp's main target, and being the X WR in a lot of play calls. He liked knowing the ball was coming his way and that he was the firs toption on many plays. Allowed him to make plays when the ball is being thrown to him. Also said that this year's new offensive system really help him play up to his abilities.

What was the biggest difference in JP this year?

Lee: Said in the second half of the seaosn, JP really became a leader on the field. Was more confident, atking charge in the huddle, leading the team, and the players really started to trust his abilities. The game winning TD pass (hou) gave him a ton of confidence.

Also, Lee mentioned that the team loves that JP is willing to stand in the pocket and take a hit to deliver the ball. Says he knows JP can run, but standing in there to make a play with his arm means a lot more to the team than running around does.

And yet this board is infested with Vick homers who think that mobile QB's will and can win. This year we have 2 more very immobile signal callers in the SB. Whodathunkit?

And yet this board is infested with Vick homers who think that mobile QB's will and can win. This year we have 2 more very immobile signal callers in the SB. Whodathunkit?

Thats because standing in the pocket making plays and winning doesnt get you on highlite reels, but running around, making people miss, and scoring a few scrambling TD's while losing does.

And the hot pocket mentality of this board says that we're onyl good if we make highlites or are on ESPN.

Thats because standing in the pocket making plays and winning doesnt get you on highlite reels, but running around, making people miss, and scoring a few scrambling TD's while losing does.

And the hot pocket mentality of this board says that we're onyl good if we make highlites or are on ESPN.

Yeah, Manning (both of 'em), Brady, Palmer never get any time on Sportscenter. :ph34r: