Michael Myers DT, FA Denver

Mikie2times

I don't have a ton of game viewing experience on Myers but his Bio's make him look like a possible fit for us. He's been a starter everywhere he played and Denver's run defense improved dramatically when he came on (Denver also brought other DL help that year). He's not a long term solution at DT, but might be a solid pick up that buys McCargo, Williams and any 2007 draft pick developmental time. He also seems to be the type of affordable signing we've come to expect from the Bills.

Thoughts?

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=4...;contentID=4194

4. Michael Myers, DL, Alabama

4th Round (100 overall)

6-2½, 285, 5.11

Bio: Came to Alabama from Hinds Community College (Miss.) in 1996 and started from Game Two on. Was a two-time junior-college All-American and an All-Southeastern Conference performer at Alabama in '96, when he also garnered first-team All-America honors from The Sporting News. Ended the '96 season with 62 tackles and a team-high 13 tackles for loss and eight sacks. Had five tackles and half a sack in the '97 opener vs. Houston and then was kicked off the football team because of his involvement with an agent. Myers allegedly accepted hotel expenses from one agent and money from another and then allegedly did not come clean when initially asked about the charges. Was invited to the Senior Bowl after the Alabama coaching staff gave Senior Bowl officials their blessings for the move.

Positives: Good athlete. Runs well. Exceptionally quick. Fine quickness off the mark. Can get into gaps quickly. Penetrates. Can be very disruptive to an offense. Will generally beat one blocker with his initial move. Can make the big play. Was helped by the Alabama coaches, who recommended that the Senior Bowl allow him to play in their game after the '97 season to give him another game under his belt.

Negatives: Played in only one game in '97 and played just a little over a year of major-college ball. Undersized. Short for end and small for tackle. Plays better inside than out on the edge but is light for a tackle. Can't anchor that well. Will struggle at times if he does not beat the blocker with his initial move. Has a tendency to play too upright at times. Had inconsistent production in '96 and really struggled against some big linemen at times. Also seemed to wear down when the opposition kept putting big bodies on him. May not be that smart and instinctive on the field and has shown some poor judgment off the field. Did not work out that well at the scouting combine.

Summary: The type of player who can be effective in the right type of defense if used correctly but would be a big mistake for teams that would ask him to play head up on the tackle and to guard two gaps. Needs to be used a lot like the Vikings use John Randle and the Buccaneers use Warren Sapp to realize his potential.

His draft bio mentions something about a incident in college. Do you have any knowledge of these issues following him to the pro's? Sometimes an increase in maturity can wipe away those problems, but as we know sometimes these guys never mature. Hopefully he's got his stuff together because he seems like a player that could help for couple seasons and come at a decent price.

I met him, fifteen years ago. I was told there was nothing left. No reason, no conscience, no understanding; even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, good or evil, right or wrong. I met this six-year-old child, with this blank, pale, emotionless face and, the blackest eyes... the devil's eyes! I spent eight years trying to reach him, and then another seven trying to keep him locked up because I realized what was living behind that boy's eyes was purely and simply... evil!

SCHWINNGGGGGGGGG

A sphincter says what????

I think Denver is going to let a lot of their DL go--toward the end of the year there were some disparaging comments from Coach Shanahan and they fired their D Coord.

....I also think we need NT's more than 3 tackles and I think Meyers is more of a 3...I think the 3 position can be ably filled by Tripplett and Williams--but the nose is a total question mark -- Anderson sat the last game as a healthy inactive-Jason Jefferson may develop but I still don't think he is even a rotation talent for the long haul and McCargo, while starting to show talent, is coming off an injury that has a high chance of recurrence (Broken Foot--he's had it twice). Williams played a lot of NT the last game and did well--but we are wasting his talent there I believe--he is going to be a really good 3 and part of the run stopping solution..I think we need 2 NT's (one Vet free agent and one draftee) -- other's I know disagree... but I think we blow up the position--let McCargo compete and bring in 2 others....

SCHWINNGGGGGGGGG

A sphincter says what????

I think Denver is going to let a lot of their DL go--toward the end of the year there were some disparaging comments from Coach Shanahan and they fired their D Coord.

....I also think we need NT's more than 3 tackles and I think Meyers is more of a 3...I think the 3 position can be ably filled by Tripplett and Williams--but the nose is a total question mark -- Anderson sat the last game as a healthy inactive-Jason Jefferson may develop but I still don't think he is even a rotation talent for the long haul and McCargo, while starting to show talent, is coming off an injury that has a high chance of recurrence (Broken Foot--he's had it twice). Williams played a lot of NT the last game and did well--but we are wasting his talent there I believe--he is going to be a really good 3 and part of the run stopping solution..I think we need 2 NT's (one Vet free agent and one draftee) -- other's I know disagree... but I think we blow up the position--let McCargo compete and bring in 2 others....

It's funny because I studied redzone's list of free agent DTs and didn't see Myers name at all but remember thinking he was someone would should of pursued a few years ago. You'd think with his size that Myers be a three. Yet he's been a pretty strong tackler in Denver as he's registered over 30 tackles a season. I agree we need a vet NT and those on my short list are Ian Scott and Alvin McKinley (I know he's played DE the last two seasons but prior to that he was a DT and did play NT in college and is a very strong tackler). Yet I seem to recall that the Bills felt in training camp that in time McCargo could develop into a NT. Of course only time will tell. As to me a healthy McCargo, Triplett, Insert Free Agent, and Williams is a good rotational group of DTs so don't feel a need to draft anyone as let's not forget that Denney and Kelsay have also played DT as well.

I met him, fifteen years ago. I was told there was nothing left. No reason, no conscience, no understanding; even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, good or evil, right or wrong. I met this six-year-old child, with this blank, pale, emotionless face and, the blackest eyes... the devil's eyes! I spent eight years trying to reach him, and then another seven trying to keep him locked up because I realized what was living behind that boy's eyes was purely and simply... evil!

Wouldn't it be cool if he were knocked to the ground after a play, and raised the upper half of his body up, and turned his head, like he did after Jamie Lee stabbed him in the neck, and thought he was dead?

Kinda of like the Undertaker used to do.

Wouldn't it be cool if he were knocked to the ground after a play, and raised the upper half of his body up, and turned his head, like he did after Jamie Lee stabbed him in the neck, and thought he was dead?

Actually, Undertaker still does that

They could play that creepy piano key as he's rising whilst the music rises to its crescendo as he approaches the QB.

They could play that creepy piano key as he's rising whilst the music rises to its crescendo as he approaches the QB.

The Halloween Music would be cool to introduce the starting defense to.

Image them slowy coming out of smokey, back lighted tunnel to the Halloween theme.

Then the mood would be ruined when someone runs for 250 yards on us.

The Halloween Music would be cool to introduce the starting defense to.

Image them slowy coming out of smokey, back lighted tunnel to the Halloween theme.

Then the mood would be ruined when someone runs for 250 yards on us.

<_<