Terrible Football Story on ESPN.com

taterhill

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not clear to me why (if the testimony at the time was that the girl was consentual and initiated) the jury didn't acquit.

There is something not said in the ESPN article.

Basically - this is a bit of a tearaway kid who smoked dope and drank and shagged girls at the age of 17 (and younger presumably) whom we are being asked to look favourably on because someday he might have had a chance to play pro football, or at the least Division 1 College football?

I don't agree that on the balance of the ESPN article he should be doing time, but all I am saying is that something is off with the stance they take. Just because he plays football doesn't mean there is no fire where there is smoke.

It's not clear to me why (if the testimony at the time was that the girl was consentual and initiated) the jury didn't acquit.

Basically - this is a bit of a tearaway kid who smoked dope and drank and shagged girls at the age of 17 (and younger presumably) whom we are being asked to look favourably on because someday he might have had a chance to play pro football, or at the least Division 1 College football?

I don't agree that on the balance of the ESPN article he should be doing time, but all I am saying is that something is off with the stance they take. Just because he plays football doesn't mean there is no fire where there is smoke.

But the kid was apparently a good student and not a lost soul like many others. The real problem here is the complete double-standard (the noted case of the teacher -- a real child molester, getting 90 days in comparison!) -- this kid is not in jail because he was doing this stuff, because I'd wager at least 50% of kids are engaged in some sexual activity in high school; probably way more. And more than half certainly experiment with alcohol and pot.

He is in jail because he was caught, and he didn't want to be branded a child molester. There HAS to be some kind of distinction made between consensual activity btw people of the same general age, vs. a significantly older person (and I'm talking 4-5+ years) taking advantage of a younger one. And in fact, in this new law, there WAS, but they didn't change it retroactively. Which is supremely messed up.

It has nothing to do with football. Football was perhaps part of his promise and the reason ESPN took special interest in the case, but football makes this no more or less wrong. It's wrong, period.

Something is off about what? The fact that a black high school senior got a BJ from a girl who willingly gave it, and got 10 years in prison, yet the white teacher who had sex with an underage student got 90 days?

If this isnt a case of cut and dry backwoods southern hick ass racism, i dont know what is.

I think the gist of what this article is saying is that this kid is being made an example of by a state's archaic laws and the egos of the prosecuting attorney. The entire article made me sick. A kid gets a BJ and has to pay for it for 10 years of his life? So that a lawyer can feel good about himself. Good to see that Georgians are on the cutting edge of the law. It's no wonder so many people have little to no faith in the legal system.

That prosecutor has the biggest ego drive going i've seen in a long long time. He is sitting there feeling proud of himself that he has the power over this kids life and all he has to do is come beg to him. Not do what's right and give him his life back, he wants the kid to beg for it. He is the definition of a tool.

Something is off about what? The fact that a black high school senior got a BJ from a girl who willingly gave it, and got 10 years in prison, yet the white teacher who had sex with an underage student got 90 days?

If this isnt a case of cut and dry backwoods southern hick ass racism, i dont know what is.

100% Racism.

"We can set aside his sentence," Barker says. "Legally, it's still possible for us to set aside his sentence and give him a new sentence to a lesser charge. But it's up to us. He has no control over it."

Now, if Wilson wants a shot at getting out, he must throw himself at the prosecutors' feet and ask for mercy, which he might or might not receive. Joseph Heller would love this. If Wilson would only admit to being a child molester, he could stop receiving the punishment of one. Maybe.

"Well," Barker says, "the one person who can change things at this point is Genarlow. The ball's in his court."

Does this begin to make sense for you now Nick? The prosecutor and the DA want the young man to figuratively (or perhaps literaly) kneel at their feet and beg for mercy. He needs to "take his medicine." Since actual whipping is out of the question these fine upstanding Christians will have to make do with virtual whipping.

That prosecutor has the biggest ego drive going i've seen in a long long time. He is sitting there feeling proud of himself that he has the power over this kids life and all he has to do is come beg to him. Not do what's right and give him his life back, he wants the kid to beg for it. He is the definition of a tool.

When people make jokes wishing lawyers would just die off, this guy is your prime example. On the plus side, ESPN bringing this to national attention may put a lot of heat on Georgia. No one likes negative publicity and if this case was to really make the rounds of media, there would be action and fast.

Hopefully, this kid's future isn't already compromised. Talk about the system failing someone....

I think the gist of what this article is saying is that this kid is being made an example of by a state's archaic laws and the egos of the prosecuting attorney. The entire article made me sick. A kid gets a BJ and has to pay for it for 10 years of his life? So that a lawyer can feel good about himself. Good to see that Georgians are on the cutting edge of the law. It's no wonder so many people have little to no faith in the legal system.

Good post! This article reminds me of that idiotic DA from the Duke Rape case. They see this as a way to make themselves look tough and instead it makes this look like an !@#$. :thumbdown:

Im so pissed off about this. I wrote the writer to see what is up...got a generated reply. I guess I wasn't the only one who took this as an afront. It is even worse that the Supreme Court of Georgia was divided among racial lines. F*^king Georgia. Talk about backwards. I wish I could personally free him. I am surprised there were no riots or mobs taking to the streets.

It's without question an injustice. Anybody else sick of the fact that women/girls pleaded for equality but yet, everytime they hit a guy,and get hit back, they go and call the cops and scream abuse? Or if some stupid little 15 year old slob like the one we read about feels like going to a party, getting drunk, high and screws 2-3 guys, and wakes up feeling bad about it, she can scream rape and put good men behind bars, for really doing nothing wrong but being men? So the kid smoked pot, big deal, nowaways that is the LEAST of our concerns out on these streets, there are far worse dealings going down on the corners. He did well in school and in society, isn't that all you can really ask of a young man? 10 years? Pfff, unreal. These girls today man, they get away with murder

The white teacher was female. That makes a huge difference. It's not (just) old-fashioned Southern racism, it's nationwide sexism.

If he was a male teacher, you'd better believe he'd still be sitting in jail.

Most states have a Romeo and Julliet laws regarding this scenerio that would have excused this. You could throw 50% of teenagers around the same age in Jail for the same thing. Thats why it's ridiculous for this kid to be in jail. He should have gotten jail time for the marijuana, alcohol and giving it to a minor, probably not the blowjob.