Will the Rams go after Chris Kelsay

ganesh

Rams | In need of another pass-rushing DE

Wed, 24 Jan 2007 09:40:45 -0800

Nick Wagoner, of StLouisRams.com, reports the St. Louis Rams are in the market for another pass rusher at defensive end heading into the offseason this year, according to defensive coordinator Jim Haslett. "Anytime you have a guy with 13 sacks and you can keep a guy that has double digit sacks every year, they are hard to find and Leonard (Little) will tell you he has been double teamed and chipped all year," Haslett said. "So we have to find another guy that can get some pressure, too.

Looks like the Rams need a second DE. Considering how void the DE position is in FA (other than Dwight Freeney), may be the Rams will throw more money at Kelsay than the bills can afford....We might lose a quality rotational DE....

I wouldn't be heartbroken at losing Kelsay. I really like what I have seen from Hargrove so if we have him and Denney on the other side, I'm more than ok with that.

I would. The man is a legit pass rusher who is entering smack into his prime.

The thing is, it will probably take Schobel money to sign him. Were it up to me, they would re-sign Kelsay and extend Schobel. I know that TD extended AS not long ago, but he made the probowl, and Ralph will have to do SOMETHING with his cap allotment. Might as well strengthen the team long term.

DE was far from the Bills problem last season. I would be more than happy to enter the season with Schobel, Kelsay, Denney, and Hargrove. These players provide pass rushing ability and depth at a position that is very hard to fill.

We're now worried about being outbid for our fourth best defensive end?

With the way Denney played and with Hargrove emerging, I don't think it would be the end of the world if he wasn't retained.

But I think calling him our 4th best DE is pushing it. He is the #2 DE on our team, luckily the other two aren't far behind.

The thing is, it will probably take Schobel money to sign him. Were it up to me, they would re-sign Kelsay and extend Schobel. I know that TD extended AS not long ago, but he made the probowl, and Ralph will have to do SOMETHING with his cap allotment. Might as well strengthen the team long term.

DE was far from the Bills problem last season. I would be more than happy to enter the season with Schobel, Kelsay, Denney, and Hargrove. These players provide pass rushing ability and depth at a position that is very hard to fill.

Wholly Agree....It is one thing to let go of a Nate Clements because he will be out of our price range...but you have to get your depth players re-signed even if it means he will want big money. The colts paid their 3rd WR #2 equivalent money, because he was that good....

With the way Denney played and with Hargrove emerging, I don't think it would be the end of the world if he wasn't retained.

But I think calling him our 4th best DE is pushing it. He is the #2 DE on our team, luckily the other two aren't far behind.

Denney had one good game in the season against the Dolphins....Otherwise he was ok.....Chris was a far more consistent pass rusher....

Wholly Agree....It is one thing to let go of a Nate Clements because he will be out of our price range...but you have to get your depth players re-signed even if it means he will want big money. The colts paid their 3rd WR #2 equivalent money, because he was that good....

But do you see my point about Schobel? The man re-signed with us before the cap went crazy. It would be rough, and perhaps cause bad feelings to pay him less than Kelsay.

Honestly, I think it will cost in the neighborhood of 30 million for 5 or 6 years to sign Kelsay. How about you?

PS: Would someone please explain to me why Hargrove is a better DE than Kelsay? :thumbdown:

Denney had one good game in the season against the Dolphins....Otherwise he was ok.....Chris was a far more consistent pass rusher....

With all due respect, I think that Denney is pretty good too. :thumbdown:

A few years ago, he seemed a step behind on the pass rush. Somehow, he now seems to bring more pressure. I also am fond of his fundementals. He has very long arms and keeps them raised, resulting in quite a few blocked passes.

I dare say that our DE corps (as is) is among the top in the NFL. I know, the Bears are awesome, but how many other teams have this kind of depth and skill?

Agree 100% Bill. I dont think alot of people realize how good Kelsay was last year. The guy plays the run and he pass very well and will continue to get better as he learns the Cover 2. He definetly wants to stay and thats half the battle. The guy is solid and need to be signed long term.

But do you see my point about Schobel? The man re-signed with us before the cap went crazy. It would be rough, and perhaps cause bad feelings to pay him less than Kelsay.

Honestly, I think it will cost in the neighborhood of 30 million for 5 or 6 years to sign Kelsay. How about you?

PS: Would someone please explain to me why Hargrove is a better DE than Kelsay? :thumbdown:

No, I think it's too soon to re-sign Schobel. This is when the team gets it's payoff for reducing the player's risk of injury when re-upping with a signing bonus. I think everyone understands salaries are going up and he was not slighted. That said, I DO think we should offer to renegotiate before the last year of his contract.

Perhaps this equity issue can work both ways. Maybe if Kelsay really does want to stay, he will accept "Schobel-level" pay. I think he'd get as much or more on the open maket, but matching Schobel may be enough to get him to sign here.

Agree 100% Bill. I dont think alot of people realize how good Kelsay was last year. The guy plays the run and he pass very well and will continue to get better as he learns the Cover 2. He definetly wants to stay and thats half the battle. The guy is solid and need to be signed long term.

You guys are getting me riled up. :)

Think about this......we have a franchise tag, but Marv promised not to use it on Clements. :thumbdown:

I wouldn't mind (for 1 season), but most people object to using it on Fletcher. Where WILL the money be spent? Why on earth should we just say goodbye to a productive player? Again, DE is a VERY hard position to fill. The Bears got Mark Anderson in the 5th in the 06 draft, but I make the contention that you can't count on this because it almost never happens.

With 36-40 million in cap space, I see no excuse to lose a good player like Kelsay.

I agree...But it is going to be impossible for Wilson to re-do his contract especially when the contracts for JP, Evans, McGahee, McGee, will all be up for renewal and the fact that we still have many holes to plug (starting positions) at DT, CB, and LB.

I see Schoebel getting an extension may be after a few of these guys are done...

Maybe we could trade them Hargrove for a pick?

He jumps up and down alot- and people seem to like that.

Does he have pass rushing skills? With the Bill's I haven't seen much yet.

Um actually we traded a draft pick to the Rams this year for Hargrove.

Why would they trade for him back?

You guys are getting me riled up. :)

Think about this......we have a franchise tag, but Marv promised not to use it on Clements. :thumbdown:

I wouldn't mind (for 1 season), but most people object to using it on Fletcher. Where WILL the money be spent? Why on earth should we just say goodbye to a productive player? Again, DE is a VERY hard position to fill. The Bears got Mark Anderson in the 5th in the 06 draft, but I make the contention that you can't count on this because it almost never happens.

With 36-40 million in cap space, I see no excuse to lose a good player like Kelsay.

I see your point about the tag. First off Marv should never played the hand the way he did by saying he promised not to tag Nate. This is his biggest mistake to date. But say we let Nate walk and grab a sufficeint corner to replace him, now if we really focus on revamping the middle of our front seven it will make the secondarys job that much easier. We need to be able to stop the run, firsy and foremost. That is why I would not mind trading up to grab a guy like Branch who will be there forever. Look at Henderson and Stroud for Jax. no matter what LB they plug in there he is always successful because of the big DT's. This is the real recipe we need to follow.