Parcells retires

taterhill

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder who they are going to hire because it seems as though the coaches left available aren't really that strong. I could see Jones opening up the wallet to overpay for the services of Cowher.

Cowher is under contract with the Rooneys for another year.....Dallas would have to give draft picks up to Pittsburgh to get Cowher.

Nice of him to take two weeks to figure this all out and allowing some of the available coaching candidates to be taken off the board.

The difference between a Bill Cowher and a Bill Parcells. Cowher dealt his resignation with respect and dignity.

There is WAY more to it than that. I suspect that Parcells only took the Dallas job because he was on the losing end (what a surprise) of a nasty divorce. Parcells barely has patience to hold a press conference, let alone take advice from his pipsqueak, billionaire owner.

Burning credibility? Tell ya what.....I like Jauron, and the job he did last season, but if Bill Parcells was to be the Coach/GM of the Bills, we would probably be deep in the playoffs in a season or 2. In fact, I would bet on it.

That may indeed be true, Bill, and I would not presume to challenge your football knowledge. I imagined that there were some personal reasons for him taking what was really a no-win job, since I doubted even at his best that he would win a SB in Dallas in the time he had before he lost interest....

In general, though, I think Parcells, for all of his talent, is a good example of how dangerous it can be to assume that a "genius" coach will be able to repeat earlier success at will. Sure, he was able to rebuild bad teams, which is no small feat, but that is not what he was hired for in those last places, where people expected a return to SB glory.So many things go into winning championships, including dumb luck and the arrangement of the stars (would Bill Belichick have become a genius without Tom Brady, for example? he was not much of a genius in Cleveland... Jimmy Satan was much less of a genius with Damon Huard than he was with Troy Aikman... Steve Spurrier found that without a recruiting edge it was hard to Fun or Gun...). I am thus not as confident that Bill could wave his wand to put the Bills in the playoffs. With a couple of good decisions, Jauron will have the Bills in the playoffs in a season or 2 anyway. Or not. :worthy: A bad coach can screw up a good team, but even a mediocre coach can win with a good team. Furthermore, even a great coach can still fail to win championships if the Football Gods don't play fair. Unless your only definition of a great coach is one who has won championships, which would render all other discussion about what it takes to be a great coach moot and tautological.

I think this is also a lesson for any team that decides they want to throw big zeroes at Bill Cowher, but that is another story.

Burning credibility? Tell ya what.....I like Jauron, and the job he did last season, but if Bill Parcells was to be the Coach/GM of the Bills, we would probably be deep in the playoffs in a season or 2. In fact, I would bet on it.

Bill, the day Parcells picked Bledsoe from the streets, the Cowboys were not going to go too far...That is a credibility problem...I don't think the Bills problems is all due to head coaching....In fact probably very little....There is very little talent in Buffalo and that is due to so many issues...players not wanting to play here....players not wanting to re-sign here....etc...I very much doubt give the SAME hand as Jauron was given, Bill Parcells would have had any different impact on this team....I am not even sure if Parcells would have been this patient with JP as Jauron was....It is very unlikely this shaky team would have made the playoffs....

Bill, the day Parcells picked Bledsoe from the streets, the Cowboys were not going to go too far...That is a credibility problem...I don't think the Bills problems is all due to head coaching....In fact probably very little....There is very little talent in Buffalo and that is due to so many issues...players not wanting to play here....players not wanting to re-sign here....etc...I very much doubt give the SAME hand as Jauron was given, Bill Parcells would have had any different impact on this team....I am not even sure if Parcells would have been this patient with JP as Jauron was....It is very unlikely this shaky team would have made the playoffs....

Parcells' Cowboys went from having three straight 5 win seasons to 10-6 or so and into the playoffs the first year. He's a great coach. But RJ not that RJ is right, a lot of things have to come together to win championships and the best coaches are not going to always win. In fact, they rarely win it all. How many Super Bowls has the coach with the most ever won, 3 or 4?

I heard it will be Wade Phillips.

I seriously heard this same report last week, when Parcells first hinted at retirement. It would make sense on a number of levels, given that the Cowboys are currently running a 3-4 scheme -- and fans out in Dallas will probably warm a little easier to Wade than Buffalo fans ever did. Note without comment: we play them next year.

Parcells' Cowboys went from having three straight 5 win seasons to 10-6 or so and into the playoffs the first year. He's a great coach. But RJ not that RJ is right, a lot of things have to come together to win championships and the best coaches are not going to always win. In fact, they rarely win it all. How many Super Bowls has the coach with the most ever won, 3 or 4?

Exactly. Chuck Noll won 4 SB championships, as did Bill Walsh. Joe Gibbs has 3.

Vince Lombardi won 4 NFL championships overall, I believe, including the 2 SBs.

Don Shula had a 2-3 record in Super Bowls, and he was someone who actually succeeded with a variety of personnel and styles, which to my mind is the true measure of great coaching.