new member; frequent reader

jimmyv.

Bills Fans,

Long time Bills addict and fan (since '64), have read messages on this board for past several years, those of you who are tech. and computer savy (sp?), please have patience with this older member, who will turn 60 this year. Believe me, nothing more than I would like is to see Bills finally crowned as champs; they were back in mid '60's, but NFL old guard doesn't recognize achievements of those teams...a shame, as I recall the late Paul Christman (old QB from champion NFL cardinals in '47) broadcasting Bills games back in '60's and telling Curt Gowdy, main play by play man, that the DL of the Bills in '64 was best line in pro football.

Anyway, enough digressing...focus of off season needs to be both lines and LB corp, as primary needs. I have opinions on what the Bills need to do in later posts...Just want to say hello to everyone and hope this team can get back to playoffs and win it all!! and soon...as I'm not getting any younger.

Thanks

I became a fan in '64 too - but you have a few years on me. :flirt:

You are right, with the exception of Billy Shaw, the Hall of Fame has ignored many from the AFL.

Bills Fans,

Long time Bills addict and fan (since '64), have read messages on this board for past several years, those of you who are tech. and computer savy (sp?), please have patience with this older member, who will turn 60 this year. Believe me, nothing more than I would like is to see Bills finally crowned as champs; they were back in mid '60's, but NFL old guard doesn't recognize achievements of those teams...a shame, as I recall the late Paul Christman (old QB from champion NFL cardinals in '47) broadcasting Bills games back in '60's and telling Curt Gowdy, main play by play man, that the DL of the Bills in '64 was best line in pro football.

Anyway, enough digressing...focus of off season needs to be both lines and LB corp, as primary needs. I have opinions on what the Bills need to do in later posts...Just want to say hello to everyone and hope this team can get back to playoffs and win it all!! and soon...as I'm not getting any younger.

Thanks

Bills Fans,

Thanks

I'm adding you to my "old man who only wants to talk about how the past was better than the present" file.

Bills Fans,

Thanks

welcome aboard you old fart.

you don't eat crayonz do you??

Welcome aboard!

Your knowledge of Bills lore should do wonders for us here!

Thanks, everyone. Maybe, I can start by saying that Bills need to build their D with solid linemen, that can hold up against the run and rush the passer...I know it's easier said than done, but if there's ever a question as to whom they should pick in draft, DL or DB, it's a no brainer. Good linemen compensate for average backs, but reverse does not hold. In draft, the Bills need to focus on DL first and foremost. Right now, they only have one decent one in Schoebel, and a few journeymen, backups at all others. If there's a DT at #12, who is round 1 rated, nab him. They also need to sign a good, big run stuffer at DT. In this scenario, they can then move Triplett to DE. If, however, there is a talented pass rushing DE at #12, who is much higher rated than any DT, then can't pass that up, as you can never have enough pass rushers. Part of the major reason why NE has been dominant over past decade is that they have 3 #1 draft picks on their DL. Sad part is that Bills could have had two of them (Warren and Wilfork), if they had not made the deals they did in past. I hope that Levy is aware of his blunder in last draft, for failing to take Ngata when he had the chance, and addresses this issue in FA and draft both.

Most important players on any team, in my opinion, are QB and DL. Before I get hammered on this point, I realized that that obviously you need supporting cast, but, most important are those two positions. I think we have QB finally resolved, now we have to get DL in order.

Thanks, everyone. Maybe, I can start by saying that Bills need to build their D with solid linemen, that can hold up against the run and rush the passer...I know it's easier said than done, but if there's ever a question as to whom they should pick in draft, DL or DB, it's a no brainer. Good linemen compensate for average backs, but reverse does not hold. In draft, the Bills need to focus on DL first and foremost. Right now, they only have one decent one in Schoebel, and a few journeymen, backups at all others. If there's a DT at #12, who is round 1 rated, nab him. They also need to sign a good, big run stuffer at DT. In this scenario, they can then move Triplett to DE. If, however, there is a talented pass rushing DE at #12, who is much higher rated than any DT, then can't pass that up, as you can never have enough pass rushers. Part of the major reason why NE has been dominant over past decade is that they have 3 #1 draft picks on their DL. Sad part is that Bills could have had two of them (Warren and Wilfork), if they had not made the deals they did in past. I hope that Levy is aware of his blunder in last draft, for failing to take Ngata when he had the chance, and addresses this issue in FA and draft both.

Most important players on any team, in my opinion, are QB and DL. Before I get hammered on this point, I realized that that obviously you need supporting cast, but, most important are those two positions. I think we have QB finally resolved, now we have to get DL in order.

I can't say i disagree. i wanted DL last year, but am happy with the whitner pick. i now realize that rome wasn't built in a day.

Thanks

Welcome on board, sir. As you have been a lurker you must be well aware of the personalities and points of view. Great to add another one.

just please tell me you think we need a better middle linebacker than london fletcher. please. i'm not asking for a first-rounder. just an upgrade. somehow.

I agree an uprgrade at MLB is needed; we need to get bigger, stronger, and younger at this position. In ideal world, if we had top notch DL, I think Fletcher would be fine, as we had a pretty high rated run D a few years ago when Pat W. and Sam A were here, but Fletch is getting on in years, and from value stand point, it would be hard to justify breaking the bank to re-sign him. So, I would have no problem with Bills drafting a first day LB in draft.