Who are the 8 retards...

eball

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's the point.

Which is what makes it pathetic. These moron writers think "nobody is good enough" so they take a stupid stance that prevents someone who clearly deserves unanimous selection from receiving same.

VABills didn't think he should be unanimous. :thumbdown:

I don't think I do.

At no point during his career did Jr. dominante the game. When you look at players like Rice and Gossage who at points in thier careers where dominant. Rice's numbers over a ten year period were without equal and Gossage helped change the roll of the releif pitcher.

Tha'ts not to say Jr. is not a HOF 'er. It's just when you talk "unanimous"? That player should have been at some point the best player at his position or the best player in baseball. I'm not sure he ever was.

Pathetic. I'd like to know what these morons are trying to prove. If Ripken isn't a unanimous 1st ballot guy, no one ever will be.

Well, you have three of the eight. I'm not saying anymore on this. Its just to ridicules. Good luck on this one eball. :thumbdown:

Pathetic. I'd like to know what these morons are trying to prove. If Ripken isn't a unanimous 1st ballot guy, no one ever will be.

You take away coming to work everyday, and he really hasn't done much to stick out from the pack. He rarely, if ever, was the best player in the game in his era. I don't know, without the streak, would he even get in at all?

Ripken is a career .274 hitter in 21 seasons. He only hit over .300 in 4 of those seasons (the other was a partial season). He's a player that pretty much averaged 20 HR's and 80's in his career. He did get the 3,000 hit mark though. He was the greatest moral player the game has ever seen.

However, without the streak, was he really all that "great"?

You take away coming to work everyday, and he really hasn't done much to stick out from the pack. He rarely, if ever, was the best player in the game in his era. I don't know, without the streak, would he even get in at all?

Name 2 better offensive shortstops that preceded Ripken. You can't.

Bill Mazeroski, is considered by a ton of writers, players, etc, the best defensive second baseman of all time. Why didn't that alone get him into the hall? He had to be voted in by the senior committee. There aren't many defensive gurus, if any, in the hall. Without the streak, Ripken would be in the middle of a major debate on whether he'd ever get in.

Didn't Jr play third and short? How about Molitor and Yount for players of that era? Brett was also was better at third.

"preceded" Ernie Banks comes to mind. Wagner hit .327. But I don't count any players stats before Jackie Robinson arrived.

I'm not saying he doesn't belong in. But he's not close to being the 'Best Player Ever'. I'm not sure he is top 50.

I've always had a problem with the writers that don't vote a guy first ballot on some sort of principle. My favorite player of all-time is Mike Schmidt. Bill James once said that people got on Schmidt because he didn't hit .300. James argued that if he had, he would have been the greatest player of all time (a title he bestowed, at the time, on Hank Aaron). The week Schmidt was voted in, Bob Ryan was on the "Sports Reporters". His parting shot was a warning to the people of America that there were 16 insane men walking the streets freely, with the thought in their addled heads that somehow Mike Schmidt didn't deserve to be in the HOF. I thought of that today when I saw the Ripken and Gwynn weren't on all the ballots.

But that's just me.

Didn't Jr play third and short? How about Molitor and Yount for players of that era? Brett was also was better at third.

Ripken wasn't even the best player in Orioles history at 3rd. Don't get me started.