JaMarcus Russell and Calvin Johnson entering draft

There is no way we can let BOTH clements and KT walk. Ideally we will sign both of them, but we definitely should have one of them in the fold before too long. Too many very good linemen offensive and defensive to pass them up in the first or second round.

Okay then, say the Bills resign just KT. Would you be comfortable with McGee, Youboty, and KT as your top-3 CB's?

We're in a decent position right now. I think we can take the best player available, whether that player is a DT, LB, OL, CB, TE, WR or even possibly DE or RB (if peterson falls). The only positions completely silly to think about addressing in the first round, IMO, are QB, FB, C, FS, SS, P & PK. Best player available. Even if it is Peterson. Lets see what FA brings.

Okay then Bill, if/when Clements and possibly K. Thomas walk, do you think the Bills should go into next season with who they have, sign an average CB, draft one later in the draft?

That is a great question; one I would expect from someone with as much insight as you have about this football team. :rolleyes: I will try to answer it precisely as asked.....

The first round defensive back merry-go round has not worked. I must also ask, what was the point in drafting Youboty if not to possibly replace Nate? Do we absolutely have to draft a corner in the 1st round if Nate walks? If you think so, why?

I am taking the position that the Bills are small, play in outdoors in the cold, and need to get stronger. Imvro, I think that a stronger OL in the middle would help the entire football team on both sides. I also believe that a bigger/better DT would do the same.

The Bills need to get back to basics in terms of running the football, and stopping the opposing team from running the football. In a perfect world, we would re-sign Nate, AND pay Steinbach what he wants. The cap space IS there. If we did this, we would be able to draft a kid like Willis, who shows good play, and what I think is good character. The kid must have come up hard, and was thanking his foster parents while receiving the Butkis Award. How cool is that?

I really don't think that we are far away from being a very good team. The development of JP and Peters were monumental. I hope that Mr. Wilson believes this as well, and goes all out to bring us a winner in 07. :lol:

I wouldn't be worried about Kiwaukee Thomas, Anthony Thomas, Andre Davis etc, those guys we won't have any problem with.

I just think that if we lose Clements then we need to get a veteran in there, we can't afford to get any younger in the secondary, I'd rather see the pick used on a linebacker or an offensive weapon, or Alan Branch I hear he's pretty good, and big.

I'm not so sure. This could cause a cornerback to fall further down.

Bill, I think you need to get over the Bills picking Whitner at #8, and be thankful that the pick actually worked out. Last year going into the draft the Bills had already signed Fowler for the center spot and Reyes for the guard spot. They were not going to draft a player on the offense. They wanted to give JP a shot at the QB position, so they bypassed the available QBs. They had to chose between a Ngata/Bunkley for the DT position or a Whitner at the safety position. In their opinion Ngata did not fit their scheme and may be the background research on Bunkley turned out bad. They went with the safe pick of picking Whitner after Huff was off the board.

They could have got Ernie Simms at the LB position, but it was not a big need at that point.

This years draft is going to be again dictated by what the Bills do in FA....If they go and sign a LB (Thomas from Baltimore or Briggs from Chicago or Mitchell from KC) then they are going to be looking down at the DT and Cornerback spot. If they re-sign clements then CB is not a priority as they will groom Youbouty in. If they do sign a Ian Scott or Corey Redding for the DT position I don't see how they are going to go DT in the 1st round....

What they can get in FA is going to determine their draft board for the 1st two rounds...

As we charted a few months ago what we do every month of the NFL 12-month season, now is the time to talk about who we are going to re-sign and let go....

Happy New Year.

The first round defensive back merry-go round has not worked. I must also ask, what was the point in drafting Youboty if not to possibly replace Nate? Do we absolutely have to draft a corner in the 1st round if Nate walks? If you think so, why?

Because Youboty wasn't NFL ready when he entered the draft (which is why a guy with his talent fell that far down in the draft) and he only played significantly in one game last year. Do you really expect this raw prospect to step into a starter's role next year and be successful? I sure don't. If Nate walks the team needs a CB. Perhaps they can find one in FA or perhaps they'll have to use a high draft pick. If this team goes into next season without addressing a replacement for Nate they are in big trouble.