This Might Be An Unpopular Stance, But I Hope

Bill from NYC

There is PLENTY to play for.

1. The opportunity to finish the season with a .500 record.

2. To see how we respond after last week's heart breaker.

3. To see how we measure up against an elite team like Baltimore on the road.

4. For the integrity of the sport. The Ravens are playing for playoff seeding -- and it is only right and fair that we put forth a noble effort.

Imagine what kind of confidence this could build (especially after last week) to have the Bills go into Baltimore and upset the Ravens! Of course, I will be at that game, so I also want to see something other than an embarrassment.

I do agree that it may be worthwhile to see what Youboty has, which is more of an idcitment of McGee at CB than anything else... That is, I'd be curious about this even if we were still playing for something!

Youboty is the one guy in my mind who needs to see extensive playing time on Sunday. Not just in the nickel either. Get him out there in man coverage against a vet QB who knows how to pick on a rookie, and let's see what he's got.

Other than that, I want to see JP play coming off a tough loss against a top defense. Pats, Chargers, Bears, Colts...0-4 against 1st place teams...It would be nice to beat a top team to end the season...

This is the one I want to see. I would want to see Ashton start for McGee, or at least get tons of playing time. I wouldn't mind seeing Nall in the fourth quarter if the game isn't close, or some other people get a quarter of playing time (maybe a half), but not starting. Merz and Butler can get mop up time too. They haven't shown enough in practice to be ahead of Preston and Pennington, so I don't think part of a game against the Ravens is the magic bullet here.

4. For the integrity of the sport. The Ravens are playing for playoff seeding -- and it is only right and fair that we put forth a noble effort.

Imagine what kind of confidence this could build (especially after last week) to have the Bills go into Baltimore and upset the Ravens! Of course, I will be at that game, so I also want to see something other than an embarrassment.

I do agree that it may be worthwhile to see what Youboty has, which is more of an idcitment of McGee at CB than anything else... That is, I'd be curious about this even if we were still playing for something!

Exactly. You play to win. Period, end of story. Hopefully, we come out with a great game plan and show the Nation that we'll be a team to take seriously in 2007.

These guys play football, Bill. It's what they do. Any player who'd be satisfied to sit out the last game for eight months, so they don't get hurt, doesn't deserve a roster spot. Any coach who'd sit such a player doesn't deserve good players.

I disagree, but only because we are Bills Fans.

This team has a very good DE and finally, a LT. We have a WR who is something special, and a young QB who is showing us something. There is no reason to risk losing these players in positions that took many longyears to fill.

As it now stands, we will lose Nate Clements to free agency and replace him with a first round corner in all probability. :thumbsup: This will of course reduce us to a cornerback farm team or the NFL equivalent of the KC Royals, but that is another matter.

We have talent at the toughest positions to fill, and I see zero reason to risk losing these guys in a road game that means nothing. We also have players such as Nall, Merz, Butler, Davis, etc. who have seen little to no playing time. It would be to the Bills advantage to watch them play in a real game and evaluate them imo. Don't you want to see if Youboty can play after using a friggin 3rd rounder to get him? Maybe, just maybe if he is good, Marv can use later round picks to go after yet more corners and safeties.

As for the player WANTING to sit, I do agree, but of it was up to me they would not have a choice.

The backups can wait until preseason IMO. Overall, we still have a very young and inexperienced group of starters trying to find their way in a new offensive and defensive system. I'd much rather see how these starters respond to last week's embarrassment against a legit Super Bowl contender. Besides, if someone important breaks a leg or something, they'll have all offseason to heal <_< .

Though one thing I'll agree with you on, Bill, is that Merz and/or Butler should get extensive action in this game...mainly because I've grown tired of Preston and would prefer to see some new looks at RG.

Exactly! What is this about giving the guys some rest? Rest for what? Offseason golf? This team needs to jell. An extra game to help them do that will help next year a lot more than "rest".

on Sunday.

I hope to see a lot of Merz and Butler on the OL. Peters needs to sit. Evans could use a rest at WR. Go ahead, put in Davis, or even Aiken! Hargrove needs to see more time as well. We already know that AS can play. And how about Spikes sits this one out? He has worked hard to come back and more rest is clearly needed.

Most of all, I want to watch Nall at qb. He needs some snaps just in case.

This game vs. the Ravens means nothing. There is simply NO reason to risk injuries to our best players. Additionally, why NOT give a kid like Merz a chance to shine, or not play so well?

Imo the only thing we have to lose is our foundation due to needless risk.

Coach Jauron, put the kids and second stringers in the game! <_<

An excellent post. There are a lot of young players on the team who, for whatever reason, have had little or no playing time. The Bills need to play those guys against the Ravens. That way, we'll have a better idea as to what our needs are in free agency and the draft.

Thank you, very well spoken. Anyone who thinks differently is a tard.

An excellent post. There are a lot of young players on the team who, for whatever reason, have had little or no playing time. The Bills need to play those guys against the Ravens. That way, we'll have a better idea as to what our needs are in free agency and the draft.

1 throwaway game in week 17 is enough to evaluate young talent?

What makes you think that young talent is going to be any more motivated than the veterans?

What makes you think that young talent is going to be any more motivated than the veterans?

Some veterans will be of the mentality of 'pointless game'....

while some backups(young talent) might be of the mentality of 'I finally get to show what I've got.....It might be my only real opportunity for a while so.....I'm gonna go out there & KILL!!!!!"

Thank you, very well spoken. Anyone who thinks differently is a tard.

Is that right? :censored:

Bro, people have all sorts of opinions on TSW. Maybe you should take a step back before the name calling. There are posters here who have probably forgot more about football than you and I combined will ever know.

You might want to consider this before taking all knowing stances, dontcha think?