Anybody have a problem with X-mas

The Rising

Does anybody have a problem with X-mas used instead of Christmas or is it just me?  I would like to see people using C-mas instead.

868275[/snapback]

No. Not only is "X" an appropriate symbol for crucifixion (the typical Roman crucifixion cross was actually X-shaped; Jesus' crucifixion was very atypical), but it's also the Greek letter χ, as in "χριστοσ", which is "Christ" in Greek.

So if you have a problem with it, the problem's yours. The abbreviation is entirely appropriate.

No.  Not only is "X" an appropriate symbol for crucifixion (the typical Roman crucifixion cross was actually X-shaped; Jesus' crucifixion was very atypical), but it's also the Greek letter χ, as in "χριστοσ", which is "Christ" in Greek.

So if you have a problem with it, the problem's yours.  The abbreviation is entirely appropriate.

868325[/snapback]

I guess the question is ... are stores/people using X-mas as an abbreviation for Christ, or as an abbreviation to take Christ out, not knowing that X could very well represent him? I would guess the latter.

I guess the question is ... are stores/people using X-mas as an abbreviation for Christ, or as an abbreviation to take Christ out, not knowing that X could very well represent him? I would guess the latter.

868328[/snapback]

I would guess that stores see people who DO know what the abbreviations mean using it, and say "Hey, that'll save ad space!"

The complaint about "X-mas" meaning you're "crossing out Christ" is old (I first heard it when I was six, which I'm pretty sure is before you were born). It predates the modern PC bull sh-- attitude of "Must not offend non-Christians with Christian holidays". It is NOT some grand conspiracy against your Savior, God-boy. :thumbdown:

Does anybody have a problem with X-mas used instead of Christmas or is it just me?  I would like to see people using C-mas instead.

868275[/snapback]

X-mas has been in use years before all of the PC BS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas

http://www.crivoice.org/symbols/xmasorigin.html

I find the whole argument somewhat comical. Christmas is a Christian holiday. It will always be a Christian holiday regardless of what some overly PC tool has to say about it. Ramadan will always be Muslim, Hanukkah will always be Jewish. The holiday season will always be the period of the year in which those of various faith celebrate their respective event.

I'll always see it as dinner followed by midnight mass, wrapped up with presents in the AM. I don't care how others see it or if they choose to see it at all. As a matter of fact, if someone uses it as a reason to pull close to family for a few days out of the year, that's great in and of itself, beliefs aside.

-Jeff

I prefer Christmas than X-Mas.

What I would really like to see are the department stores putting the words "Merry Christmas" on their shopping bags like they used to. But that will never happen again.

Also I do'nt like the term Winter Break for schools. It should be Christmas Vacation. Which is really what it is. Otherwise they'd have Winter Break in January or February too.

The "Merry Holidays" and the "Holiday Tree" stuff annoys me, but "X-mas" isn't a result of the overly PC crowd. It's been around for centuries. It's the addition of the PC stuff that makes you see it in a negative light.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Xmas-LH...es_Phillips.jpg

-Jeff

I really wouldn't let this bother me if I were you. Just say "Christmas" and don't worry about what someone else says. And even if this was some sort of PC disaster (which it's not), complaining about it is so backwards.

The easily offended complaining about a problem created by the easily offended... :thumbdown:

I find the whole argument somewhat comical.  Christmas is a Christian holiday. It will always be a Christian holiday regardless of what some overly PC tool has to say about it.  Ramadan will always be Muslim, Hanukkah will always be Jewish.  The holiday season will always be the period of the year in which those of various faith celebrate their respective event.

868577[/snapback]

The "War on Christmas" posse will be at your house @ 8 p.m. to correct you in your usage of the "holiday" word. :thumbdown:

To me, what certain groups in this country want is akin to 5 people co-writing a book, and one person wanting only his name on the cover. "Happy Holidays" is cognizant of all of the different celebrations w/o singling one out as being 'more equal' than the rest. This is made much more an issue in the do-nothing-and-repeat-yourself media and on political soapboxes to instigate a 'wedge issue' than it is on Main Street.

What I would really like to see are the department stores putting the words "Merry Christmas" on their shopping bags like they used to. But that will never happen again.

868649[/snapback]

That will never happen again b/c those BIG, BAD stores don't want to spend 5x their budget just to make bags and put up decorations for every persuasion. Let's get them, those damn CAPITALISTS!

I would guess that stores see people who DO know what the abbreviations mean using it, and say "Hey, that'll save ad space!" 

The complaint about "X-mas" meaning you're "crossing out Christ" is old (I first heard it when I was six, which I'm pretty sure is before you were born).  It predates the modern PC bull sh-- attitude of "Must not offend non-Christians with Christian holidays".  It is NOT some grand conspiracy against your Savior, God-boy.  :thumbdown:

868560[/snapback]

I never said it was ...

Also I do'nt like the term Winter Break for schools. It should be Christmas Vacation. Which is really what it is. Otherwise they'd have Winter Break in January or February too.

868649[/snapback]

Ahhh... They do... Make that some do... :nana:

My nephews in MA get a week off in Feb... Their "Holiday break" is a week shorter than the "normal" one celebrated elsewhere/previously/traditionally...

:rolleyes::nana:

No.  Not only is "X" an appropriate symbol for crucifixion (the typical Roman crucifixion cross was actually X-shaped; Jesus' crucifixion was very atypical), but it's also the Greek letter χ, as in "χριστοσ", which is "Christ" in Greek.

So if you have a problem with it, the problem's yours.  The abbreviation is entirely appropriate.

868325[/snapback]

I didn't know all of that.....thanks, good post.

I really don't see the problem at all. The complaints tend to be along the lines of....."it's taking Christ out of Christmas.".....or....."it's disrespectful." Is it? How exactly?

It's only disrespectful if one chooses to see it that way. What difference to you as an individual does it make if somebody else abbreviates the word Christmas? Is it OK to abbreviate Jesus Christ to JC....or to simply Christ....or Jesus? It cannot be considered blasphemy since it is in no way taking the Lords name in vain so......what exactly is the problem?

868325[/snapback]

I agree. I might call it Christmas out of habit, but I don't give a rat's ass what other people call it, and X-mas does have the meanings you spell out. I can't imaging Jesus is losing a lot of sleep over this issue.

I agree.  I might call it Christmas out of habit, but I don't give a rat's ass what other people call it, and X-mas does have the meanings you spell out.  I can't imaging Jesus is losing a lot of sleep over this issue.

870648[/snapback]

Jesus can lose sleep? I never considered it.

Jesus can lose sleep? I never considered it.

870704[/snapback]

:P:lol:

Watch out all you righties... Close your eyes if you don't want to be offended...

Being a man and carpenter... He probably had certain choices for tools, just like automobiles today??? On that note:

My son thinks he (Jesus) would drive a Land Rover... :lol:

Myself, thinks he is a "Jeep guy"... x2 B-)

My wife? Got him in a VW MicroBus... :unsure::lol:

:P  :lol:

Watch out all you righties... Close your eyes if you don't want to be offended...

Being a man and carpenter...  He probably had certain choices for tools, just like automobiles today???  On that note:

My son thinks he (Jesus) would drive a Land Rover... :lol:

Myself, thinks he is a "Jeep guy"... x2 B-)

My wife?  Got him in a VW MicroBus... :unsure:  :lol:

870728[/snapback]

Right...because nothing says "single Jewish male" like a VW MicroBus... :lol: