Are Certain Positions Better For Rookies?

Astrobot

The success of Gore in SF and Bush in NO makes me wonder if certain positions are better off being filled through FA, where you need acquired savvy (quarterback, middle linebacker) and others being filled through draft, where speed, raw athleticism and relentlessness (DE, DT, RB) can make a difference earlier in the player's career.

This kind of thinking would be necessary in one's draft/FA strategy. You might keep London Fletcher for his savvy, bring along a drafted Angelo Crowell, but be more willing to sign a FA for your #1 middle linebacker. You might let Nate go because it's easier to bring a CB up to speed. You might draft DE this year and sign a year-4 or -5 linebacker FA for the same reason. Just wondering.

RB is the easiest for sure. IMO, second are DT and WR. You simply don't have to learn as much new stuff or responsibilities to be effective.

867368[/snapback]

CB, DE, and RB are probably the easiest for rooks to pick up right away and succeed. Rook WR's can put up big numbers, but lots of times it takes a WR 3 years to get acclimated and fully learn a system and route's etc.

CB and RB are almost purely based on athleticism, making it extremely easy.

The success of Gore in SF and Bush in NO makes me wonder if certain positions are better off being filled through FA, where you need acquired savvy (quarterback, middle linebacker) and others being filled through draft, where speed, raw athleticism and relentlessness (DE, DT, RB) can make a difference earlier in the player's career.

867355[/snapback]

1 QB- Longest

2. OL/DL-

3. CB/WR-

4. MLB/TE-

5. RB's- Shortest

RB is the easiest for sure. IMO, second are DT and WR. You simply don't have to learn as much new stuff or responsibilities to be effective.

867368[/snapback]

I disagree. True you can bring in a RB who can be athletic and productive, however, to get them involved in the offense overall most have to learn blocking assignments and route running. I think those are some of the hardest things for a running back really to learn and kills the career of a lot of them due to no mental capacity.

WR, CB, outside LB are probably the easiest to get up to speed with.

867360[/snapback]

WR is the hardest....If you look at the NFL, most of the top WR picks takes a few years to understand the NFL.....Very few exceptions where WR have begun to explode right from day one.

CB, LB and RB are the easiest to learn in the NFL.

I disagree.  True you can bring in a RB who can be athletic and productive, however, to get them involved in the offense overall most have to learn blocking assignments and route running.  I think those are some of the hardest things for a running back really to learn and kills the career of a  lot of them due to no mental capacity.

867615[/snapback]

I agree with that completely. But all positions take three years to really be an all around great player, which is what you are saying. It takes that long for WRs to block and to understand the zones and learn all the tricks. It takes that long for CBs to learn to play off blocks and defend the run as good as the pass and to handle the game's best receivers. There are few exceptions to all positions. What I meant was, a RB you can just throw in there day one and teach him five plays and he can be very productive and run for 100 yards. Look at Sam Gado last year. He had little experience in college let alone pros. That position you don't have to understand the offense or the defense to play and run and catch swing passes and dump offs and you can start right away. You will never have all the intricacies down for years.