Attention Deficit Disorder

plenzmd1

Allright, I am going to preface this by saying I would really like responses from people who have dealt with their own kids and ADD. Please no rants about what has the world come to, all the kid needs is a good quick kick in the ass etc. Sorry to try and preempt those replies, just I see it coming.

Anyway, here's my situation. My son goes to a private school that requires testing before admittance (he is in kindergarten) and he tested very high on his ability to learn and how he understands concepts. However, the boy has, and always has had, exhibited all the classic signs of ADD, and after extensive testing, consults with doctor, teachers, counselors etc, it has been determined he has ADD. BTW, he is having issues in school that these tests indicate he should not be having.

We have a consultation scheduled with his doctor next Wed, and I have not even begun to research our options. Any personal experience and how you moved forward is greatly appreciated.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allright, I am going to preface this by saying I would really like responses from people who have dealt with their own kids and ADD. Please no rants about what has the world come to, all the kid needs is a good quick kick in the ass etc. Sorry to try and preempt those replies, just I see it coming.

Anyway, here's my situation. My son goes to a private school that requires testing before admittance (he is in kindergarten) and he tested very high on his ability to learn and how he understands concepts. However, the boy has, and always has had, exhibited all the classic signs of ADD, and after extensive testing, consults with doctor, teachers, counselors etc, it has been determined he has ADD. BTW, he is having issues in school that these tests indicate he should not be having.

We have a consultation scheduled with his doctor next Wed, and I have not even begun to research our options. Any personal experience and how you moved forward is greatly appreciated.

866057[/snapback]

This is not funny. Hopefully there will be some good responses to your question. Best of luck.

Just make sure, what ever you do, get a second opinion.

I just know that it takes really, really extensive study to make a diagnosis, and even then ADD is severely overdiagnosed in this country b/c it is a quick answer to parents' concerns about their children in an era where people want quick answers rather than the right answers.

Having 'classic signs' doesn't mean much for most any illness/condition, i.e. abdominal pain, nausea, jaundice could be describing like 150 possible things. My brother was in the hospital for 3 weeks this past summer with that before the doctors guessed at a ruptured appendix after having already ruled it out 10 times before. Doctors don't know everything; often it's an educated guessing game.... just remember that 50% of them graduated in the bottom half of their class.

And even if it is, ADD doesn't mean your child is destined to be stupid or something. There are medications that have good results, and many who decide not to use the pills and do alternative therapies. Lots of kids manage to do quite well; just takes more patience, discipline and hard work. Good luck.

I just know that it takes really, really extensive study to make a diagnosis, and even then ADD is severely overdiagnosed in this country b/c it is a quick answer to parents' concerns about their children in an era where people want quick answers rather than the right answers.

Having 'classic signs' doesn't mean much for most any illness/condition, i.e. abdominal pain, nausea, jaundice could be describing like 150 possible things. My brother was in the hospital for 3 weeks this past summer with that before the doctors guessed at a ruptured appendix after having already ruled it out 10 times before. Doctors don't know everything; often it's an educated guessing game.... just remember that 50% of them graduated in the bottom half of their class.

And even if it is, ADD doesn't mean your child is destined to be stupid or something. There are medications that have good results, and many who decide not to use the pills and do alternative therapies. Lots of kids manage to do quite well; just takes more patience, discipline and hard work. Good luck.

866166[/snapback]

The one thing I am not worried about is his smarts, he is my kid after all :thumbsup: Seriously, his smarts are fine, how we get him to tap into those there smarts is the issue!!!!

My son was diagnosed with ADD in the 3rd grade. We both suffered for almost two years, I watched him through meds that turned him into a zombi. I finally did a lot of research on sugar and artificial coloring etc. Totally changed his diet to add a lot of fresh vegetables, whole grains and little sugar. I disobeyed the doctor and stopped his meds. I didn't go back to another doctor for another year and by that time he seemed to be magically "healed".

OK so flame me. Just feel that the labels they put on our kids may not always be right.

Please, definitely get a 2nd opinion.

My son was diagnosed with ADD in the 3rd grade.  We both suffered for almost two years, I watched him through meds that turned him into a zombi.  I finally did a lot of research on sugar and artificial coloring etc.  Totally changed his diet to add a lot of fresh vegetables, whole grains and little sugar.  I disobeyed the doctor and stopped his meds.  I didn't go back to another doctor for another year and by that time he seemed to be magically "healed".

OK so flame me. Just feel that the labels they put on our kids may not always be right.

Please, definitely get a 2nd opinion.

866210[/snapback]

ADD is misdiagnosed a lot. Multiple screenings are needed to get a proper diagnosis. Sounds like the doctor didn't really do a great job.

That being said,w hat medicine did they put him on that made him a zombie? ADD meds are usually stimulants, so I find that reaction rather strange.

South Park solution for ADD

866217[/snapback]

:thumbsup: i was trying to find that clip but you beat me to the punchline

but seriously, if the doctor's solution is to just medicate him with ritalin or some other miracle drug you might want to seek a second opinion. therapy/counseling may be a healthier (however more expensive) and better long term option

:thumbsup: i was trying to find that clip but you beat me to the punchline

but seriously, if the doctor's solution is to just medicate him with ritalin or some other miracle drug you might want to seek a second opinion.  therapy/counseling may be a healthier (however more expensive) and better long term option

866241[/snapback]

See, now that is my first reaction, and what I have been trying to do for nigh on six years. But I am honestly starting to believe him when he says" i dunno why I did that", the kid really is a good kid at heart. His behavior in his class is really good, its just how is he learning thats the issue!!!

Anyway, I appreciate the responces to this thread. As I said, just starting to research, so any experience is much appreciated.

None of my children had ADD, but my wife has been running a licensed home daycare for almost 25 years. I have seen all kinds of kids and all kinds of treatment.

Diane's (aussiew) advice was the best so far.

Your best route right now is gathering information. Good luck!

Check out this web site for some ideas and advice. Do not rush into anything, especially medication until you are sure all reasonable alternatives have been investigated.

link: Born to Explore

"If you decide to have your child assessed for ADD, do NOT use any school personnel or anyone connected with the school system because they are biased. Unfortunately, the public school system is rewarded by having difficult children labeled ADD in three ways.

First, the medicated child is easier to handle and less disruptive.

Second, the school receives money for each child thus labeled if special ed services are requested (that's why you probably can't get special services like tutoring unless your child is officially diagnosed with a learning disability).

And third, medicated children may do better on standardized test exams, making the school administrators and teachers look better. Long-term studies, however, show that medicated children do not actually learn more in the long run, even though they get better grades.

So while it is in the school's self interest to have your child diagnosed ADD and medicated, it may not be in your child's best interest. Parents should ultimately make this decision, not the school or even the doctors."

See, now that is my first reaction, and what I have been trying to do for nigh on six years. But I am honestly starting to believe him when he says" i dunno why I did that", the kid really is a good kid at heart. His behavior in his class is really good, its just how is he  learning thats the issue!!!

Anyway, I appreciate the responces to this thread. As I said, just starting to research, so any experience is much appreciated.

866260[/snapback]

Yep, and the classic stigma of ADD with classroom behavior has been changing.

Plenz, My 6 yr niece was diagnosed with ADD and was recently put on Strattera. She is a much happier little person on it, was like her body was screaming out for it. She was hard to be around very moody, would not listen, hard to reason with, uncontrollable, could not play playing quietly or keep focused long enough to complete any little task.

Now on the Strattera her personally has allowed to come out, her mood has brightened, you can actually have a conversation with her and she has actually sat in one place long enough to discover that she has a talent for art.

Hope this helps!