Attention Deficit Disorder

plenzmd1

It isn't "diet" per se, but have you ever looked at a label on a jar, can, hot pockets wrapper? By the time tykes get into organized out-of-home activities these days they've injested a pound or two of preservatives, additives, food colorings and other KhemiKals that their ancestors never ever encountered. Oh, but of course, the FDA has approved them. That makes them perfectly safe. The FDA approved thalidomide at one time too. They also approved irradiating babies for enlarged thymus glands at one point in time. Love Canal ever harm anyone?

Aussiew's experience is similar to mine in respects to my son. We researched Feingold and it was helpful - but not a miracle cure.

ADHD is a controversial subject. I'd recommend doing your own research and getting more than one opinion regarding diagnosis and treatment. And if I might add a word of caution, don't think the schools are going to offer much in the way of answers. At best they might offer some behavioral support and at worst they'll view your child as a port to a new revenue stream that supports some other program that will only marginally impact your child.

I'd be cautious about relying on ethical pharmaceuticals too. Let me just say - do your research.

You've taken the right approach (in my view) by asking others about their experience(s) with such matters. Opinions will vary widely, and at the end of the day it's you and your family that will be making the decisions.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am genuinely irritated with some of the replies in this thread.

It's not diet. It's not environment. ADHD is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. And the medication WON'T turn your child into a zombie. ADHD should be addressed by professionals, not parents. ADHD is seemingly "over-diagnosed" because it was almost NEVER diagnosed in the past. It wasn't understood by doctors and education professionals. It was assumed that it was a natural part of growing up.

What was the result? An entire generation, indeed generations, grew up struggling with what can be a debilitating DISEASE. An illness that robs people of the ability to function in society. That's what it is folk. It isn't little Johnny acting up. Little Johnny can't HELP but act up when his brain isn't behaving as it should.

You want to keep your kid off meds? That's your deal. But I'll guarantee when little Johnny's a teenager or older, he'll self-medicate to deal with the issues he's got. You don't want that, do you?

866413[/snapback]

ADHD and ADD are completely different things. The questions and response I think so far have been about ADD.

All too often children with Attention Deficit Disorder are mistakenly taken to have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, and as a result given medication to control hyperactivity that that don't need.

My wife is a primary school teacher, and through experience tells me that ADHD almost always required medication to control the hyperactivity, but ADD can often be addressed creatively in the classroom with different learning techniques and aids. An example:

A child in her class right now has 'classic signs' of ADD. He won't stop fiddling with his clothes, he can't sit in one position and listen to a story, his attention cannot be held on learning taks for extended periods. His behavious is not bad, and he is not disruptive. But he is not developing at the same rate as the other kids because he can't concentrate long enough for it all to sink in.

The simple solution my wife devised? She gave him a small piece of play-doh to mould in his hand during carpet sessions and desk based learning. The kid now sits still, listens, learns, and is developing at the expected rate. All because his ADD is now focussed on a small piece of play-doh, whoch free's his mind to learn. This is a pretty simple solution, but demonstrates how low-level a treatment can be.

The kid in her class with ADHD doesn't just fiddle when he's hyper - he runs around, under tables, screams, shouts, pulls hair, throws books, and will not calm down. Now a little ball of play-doh won't fix him, and a combo of medication and therapy is helping manage his problems.

But it's horses for courses, and alwayts worth getting the right diagnosis. ADD and ADHD are completely different animals and need to be considered differently.

It depends.  It will, only because ADHD is very overdiagnosed nowadays.  By which I mean: it will, in the numerous cases where ADHD is not actually ADHD. 

It's just too easy nowadays to want the "magic pill" that cures what ails you...particularly so when you're a teacher or school administrator that just wants the little brat to sit down and shut up, and it's so much easier to tell the parents "Your dear child needs Ritilan, sorry to say" than it is to deal with it with the meager tools at hand.  ADHD is a real illness...but not all ADHD diagnoses are really ADHD.

867145[/snapback]

I'll give you that, and that's why I said he ought to get a second opinion.

ADHD and ADD are completely different things.  The questions and response I think so far have been about ADD.

All too often children with Attention Deficit Disorder are mistakenly taken to have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, and as a result given medication to control hyperactivity that that don't need.

My wife is a primary school teacher, and through experience tells me that ADHD almost always required medication to control the hyperactivity, but ADD can often be addressed creatively in the classroom with different learning techniques and aids.  An example:

A child in her class right now has 'classic signs' of ADD.  He won't stop fiddling with his clothes, he can't sit in one position and listen to a story, his attention cannot be held on learning taks for extended periods.  His behavious is not bad, and he is not disruptive.  But he is not developing at the same rate as the other kids because he can't concentrate long enough for it all to sink in.

The simple solution my wife devised?  She gave him a small piece of play-doh to mould in his hand during carpet sessions and desk based learning.  The kid now sits still, listens, learns, and is developing at the expected rate.  All because his ADD is now focussed on a small piece of play-doh, whoch free's his mind to learn.  This is a pretty simple solution, but demonstrates how low-level a treatment can be.

The kid in her class with ADHD doesn't just fiddle when he's hyper - he runs around, under tables, screams, shouts, pulls hair, throws books, and will not calm down.  Now a little ball of play-doh won't fix him, and a combo of medication and therapy is helping manage his problems.

But it's horses for courses, and alwayts worth getting the right diagnosis.  ADD and ADHD are completely different animals and need to be considered differently.

867543[/snapback]

Well, ADD sans the hyperactivity can be just as debilitating and does sometimes require the meds. You're right. Not every approach will work the same with every person. Second opinions are a MUST when dealing with any medical issue.

I work with a woman that has 3 children. 2 boys 1 girl. ALL 3 were diagnosed with ADD. Personally I find this a little suspicious. I think the pharmaceutical companies invented a medicine that they needed a 'disease' for. Voila. ADD, ADHD, etc.

I work with a woman that has 3 children.  2 boys 1 girl.  ALL 3 were diagnosed with ADD.  Personally I find this a little suspicious.  I think the pharmaceutical companies invented a medicine that they needed a 'disease' for.  Voila. ADD, ADHD, etc.

867576[/snapback]

Suspicious? I dunno, it depends on how its transmitted.

Theres a gene which has been linked to ADHD.

• 3 weeks later...

Thougt I would give everyone an update here, not that anyone really cares. Anyway, we spoke with two seperate doctors and had two seperate consultations and both felt the same way, that the boy without a doubt had ADD. What we learned was that they no longer consider ADD and ADHD as two seperate things, it is just now referred to either ADD With or ADD without(kinda like ordering a philly cheesesteak).

Any way we looked at several options, and started him on a small dose of medication right before the holidays. Man, what a differance. I know it sounds small, but all of a sudden he wanted to practice writing his name, he became interested in drawing pictures, he wanted to listen to us read books to him and even asked much more focused questions about the book, and followed the story and plot(such as it is in books designed for 5 yr olds) like he was a differant kid.

He has just finished his second day back at school, and both his teacher and the counselor that has been working with him for the last two months on this say he has never been happier and more focused. They have said you can just see how proud he has been the last two days with his ability to concentrate and do the same the work as the other kids, in the same amount of time. I know only two days, but that is so great to hear from a parents standpoint. Just want to do whats right for the kid.

I will say his behavior has not changed, still a typical 5 yr old LOL, but again he really never had an issue with behaviour. They wanted us to start the meds before back to school just in case of any side affects, but we have seen none so far.

Anyway, wanted to give you all an update and thank you all for the replies.

None of my children had ADD, but my wife has been running a licensed home daycare for almost 25 years. I have seen all kinds of kids and all kinds of treatment.

Diane's (aussiew) advice was the best so far.

Your best route right now is gathering information. Good luck!

Check out this web site for some ideas and advice. Do not rush into anything, especially medication until you are sure all reasonable alternatives have been investigated.

link: Born to Explore

"If you decide to have your child assessed for ADD, do NOT use any school personnel or anyone connected with the school system because they are biased. Unfortunately, the public school system is rewarded by having difficult children labeled ADD in three ways.

First, the medicated child is easier to handle and less disruptive.

Second, the school receives money for each child thus labeled if special ed services are requested (that's why you probably can't get special services like tutoring unless your child is officially diagnosed with a learning disability).

And third, medicated children may do better on standardized test exams, making the school administrators and teachers look better. Long-term studies, however, show that medicated children do not actually learn more in the long run, even though they get better grades.

So while it is in the school's self interest to have your child diagnosed ADD and medicated, it may not be in your child's best interest. Parents should ultimately make this decision, not the school or even the doctors."

My wife is in education. ranging from special education, regular ed. to now an administrator. You are so wrong it is laughable the amount of your ignorance about education.

My wife is in education. ranging from special education, regular ed. to now an administrator. You are so wrong it is laughable the amount of your ignorance about education.

My wife is in education too. Does that make me an expert?

My wife is in education too. Does that make me an expert?

In a word yes, I talk with her about issues she has at school. I've heard the issues now from three different perspectives, special ed., regular ed., and administrator. To suggest that public school educators want all their kids on meds, so they are easy to control and they get more money for ADD kids so they have bigger budgets is insulting to educators and ludicrous. That is the issue I had about Rockpiles comments.

In a word yes, I talk with her about issues she has at school. I've heard the issues now from three different perspectives, special ed., regular ed., and administrator. To suggest that public school educators want all their kids on meds, so they are easy to control and they get more money for ADD kids so they have bigger budgets is insulting to educators and ludicrous. That is the issue I had about Rockpiles comments.

I think you're taking it too personally. While I don't think there is some great conspiracy here, there is too much logic presented to be dismissed. Besides, Rockpile's advice was to get educated and get multiple opinions. Not bad advice in any situation and certainly not worthy of insult.

Thougt I would give everyone an update here, not that anyone really cares. Anyway, we spoke with two seperate doctors and had two seperate consultations and both felt the same way, that the boy without a doubt had ADD. What we learned was that they no longer consider ADD and ADHD as two seperate things, it is just now referred to either ADD With or ADD without(kinda like ordering a philly cheesesteak).

Any way we looked at several options, and started him on a small dose of medication right before the holidays. Man, what a differance. I know it sounds small, but all of a sudden he wanted to practice writing his name, he became interested in drawing pictures, he wanted to listen to us read books to him and even asked much more focused questions about the book, and followed the story and plot(such as it is in books designed for 5 yr olds) like he was a differant kid.

He has just finished his second day back at school, and both his teacher and the counselor that has been working with him for the last two months on this say he has never been happier and more focused. They have said you can just see how proud he has been the last two days with his ability to concentrate and do the same the work as the other kids, in the same amount of time. I know only two days, but that is so great to hear from a parents standpoint. Just want to do whats right for the kid.

I will say his behavior has not changed, still a typical 5 yr old LOL, but again he really never had an issue with behaviour. They wanted us to start the meds before back to school just in case of any side affects, but we have seen none so far.

Anyway, wanted to give you all an update and thank you all for the replies.

I just read this thread through for the first time. First, a 5 year old can't demonstrate an inability to learn over long period of time, because, well, he's five. Wait a few more years. It's not like he won't be able to catch up. Second, chances are, if he truly has ADHD, he will not grow out of it. He may learn to compensate, and function well enough. If he cannot, he is on meds for life. ADHD is genetic, and mostly in boys. It wasn't diagnosed, but it obviously has gone back in my family to at least to my great-grandfather.

My mother is a teacher who tends toward pushing ADHD. She could not care less about getting funding. She simply wants her kids to succeed.

Here's another thought. How long did it take to make the diagnosis?

Well, let me put it to you this way. To get into his current school, several hrs of testing is required. Within the first two months of school, his teacher approached us about the possibility, as his test scores were very high yet he was not keeping up, and was getting frustated, etc, which just did not jibe with his test scores. So it has really been about a 4 month process. started the process of evaluation in early November

BTW, not to sound like an ass, but his school his recognized as a top school in the Mid-atlantic and several people move from DC just sos thier kids can go. And there is absolutely no motivation for them to push this diagnosis. As I mentioned, he has been working with a counselor for quite some time, who is full time at the school. And if the kid is just a problem they no longer wish to deal with, they politley ask them to leave. The waiting list to get into the school assures them they are in no danger of a spot going empty.There is no state funding here, so any extra attention comes right from the school. The faculty at this school is top notch, from K all the way to 12. Thats why I pay a friggen kings ransom for them to go there.

Wanted to start this thread to give some awareness to the issue. My gut tells me, that like me, we have all seen some some Primetime or 20/20 report talking about over medication, and lordy, been on 20/20, gotta be true. My first reaction was "what are you kidding me, easy way out!!!! But after hrs of research on line of reputable medical journals , web sites, etc devoted to ADD, it is my opinion this is a severaly UNDER diagnosed problem.

My daughter is in education too. It is discouraging to hear about the resistance she faces when trying to educate her students - from the students, other teachers, parents, and administrators.

I am very happy that your wife is one of the truly dedicated ones, not one who just likes the holidays, summer vacation and pension plan. Tell her that as a student, parent (and now grandparent), I appreciate what she is doing.

I have observed teachers who were fantastic and I have observed school superintendents making $125K a year (10 years ago) whose idea of a commencement address was to simply read essays by Irma Bombeck and Kurt Vonnegut, instead of contributing something original and personal to "fire up" the graduates.

I have observed children with ADD type behavior, where one required medical attention and another just needed to learn "no means no". The parents had not communicated that effectively.

I am ignorant about a lot of things. Aren't we all? I just posted a link to one train of thought I found interesting.

Anyway, plenzmd1 - I hope things continue to work so well for your boy. Children are such a blessing, we take them for granted sometimes.

Happy New Year! :rolleyes:

My daughter is in education too. It is discouraging to hear about the resistance she faces when trying to educate her students - from the students, other teachers, parents, and administrators.

I am very happy that your wife is one of the truly dedicated ones, not one who just likes the holidays, summer vacation and pension plan. Tell her that as a student, parent (and now grandparent), I appreciate what she is doing.

I have observed teachers who were fantastic and I have observed school superintendents making $125K a year (10 years ago) whose idea of a commencement address was to simply read essays by Irma Bombeck and Kurt Vonnegut, instead of contributing something original and personal to "fire up" the graduates.

I have observed children with ADD type behavior, where one required medical attention and another just needed to learn "no means no". The parents had not communicated that effectively.

I am ignorant about a lot of things. Aren't we all? I just posted a link to one train of thought I found interesting.

Anyway, plenzmd1 - I hope things continue to work so well for your boy. Children are such a blessing, we take them for granted sometimes.

Happy New Year! :rolleyes:

Thank you for the well wishes Sir, it is appreciated.

There are so many conflicting opinions on this subject when you really start to research will make your head spin. It is really tough to know what to do. One good thing is his pediatrcian has written several articles that have been published, as well as spoken at confrences ,about the subject, that I feel comfortable with his(as well as the others docs) diagnosis. He was really forthcomimg and directed us to several resources that approached it from all angles, not only his.