Attention Deficit Disorder

plenzmd1

Thank you for the well wishes Sir, it is appreciated.

There are so many conflicting opinions on this subject when you really start to research will make your head spin. It is really tough to know what to do. One good thing is his pediatrcian has written several articles that have been published, as well as spoken at confrences ,about the subject, that I feel comfortable with his(as well as the others docs) diagnosis. He was really forthcomimg and directed us to several resources that approached it from all angles, not only his.

Just to add another thought process, how did you do personally in grade school ? If you don't remember hopefully one of your parents are available to ask how you did. The reason why I mention this is my Mom saved all of my report cards and gave them to me a few years ago. It was funny to see that my son is performing exactly how I did in grade school and now in middle school. So I now don't stress because of his grades because I know he will be great once he gets into high school and beyond into college. I really didn't hit the switch and excel until college, I coasted thru grade school , middle school and started turning it on in grade 11 & 12.

If you can get insight how you did in grade school it may provide guidance on how to handle your son's situation.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter is in education too. It is discouraging to hear about the resistance she faces when trying to educate her students - from the students, other teachers, parents, and administrators.

I am very happy that your wife is one of the truly dedicated ones, not one who just likes the holidays, summer vacation and pension plan. Tell her that as a student, parent (and now grandparent), I appreciate what she is doing.

I have observed teachers who were fantastic and I have observed school superintendents making $125K a year (10 years ago) whose idea of a commencement address was to simply read essays by Irma Bombeck and Kurt Vonnegut, instead of contributing something original and personal to "fire up" the graduates.

I have observed children with ADD type behavior, where one required medical attention and another just needed to learn "no means no". The parents had not communicated that effectively.

I am ignorant about a lot of things. Aren't we all? I just posted a link to one train of thought I found interesting.

Anyway, plenzmd1 - I hope things continue to work so well for your boy. Children are such a blessing, we take them for granted sometimes.

Happy New Year! :rolleyes:

Thanks Rockpile I will pass it along to my wife. I hope you were not offended by the word 'ignorance' because I didn't mean it in the sometimes used negative coonotation, but the words intended meaning , that there is a lack of full understanding about a subject. I am ignorant in a great number of topics, but education is one where I have a deeper insight than the average person because of my wife's profession and my own kids going thu school. Which has provided me a with a view of education from many different angles.

Thanks Rockpile I will pass it along to my wife. I hope you were not offended by the word 'ignorance' because I didn't mean it in the sometimes used negative coonotation, but the words intended meaning , that there is a lack of full understanding about a subject. I am ignorant in a great number of topics, but education is one where I have a deeper insight than the average person because of my wife's profession and my own kids going thu school. Which has provided me a with a view of education from many different angles.

I have to admit that I read it a couple times before I decided whether or not to take offense.

I decided not to let it bother me. :wallbash:

Keep in mind I have four children (one daughter is a teacher and another daughter home schooled three of her children until grade five) and my wife has run a NY certified home daycare for almost 25 years, so I have a little experience with children too.

The more I think I know, the more ignorant I prove to be. :rolleyes:

Perhaps...but you know about Vegemite. So that puts you in the top percentile of the educated :wallbash:

Lackawanna - the land down under!

BTW: I think the prompt should be "Press 1 if you do NOT speak English". :rolleyes:

Happy New Year, Sweetie. :bag:

My son was diagnosed with ADD in the 3rd grade. We both suffered for almost two years, I watched him through meds that turned him into a zombi. I finally did a lot of research on sugar and artificial coloring etc. Totally changed his diet to add a lot of fresh vegetables, whole grains and little sugar. I disobeyed the doctor and stopped his meds. I didn't go back to another doctor for another year and by that time he seemed to be magically "healed".

OK so flame me. Just feel that the labels they put on our kids may not always be right.

Please, definitely get a 2nd opinion.

Sounds like a pretty smart solution to me. 100 years from now people will shake their heads when they talk about how much disgusting artificial crap was put into foods in our time and how many health problems resulted. But as long as the Novartis sales rep keeps taking Dr. Onthetake out to the country club for a round of golf and dinner at Ruth's Chris every quarter, don't expect many doctors to prescribe a natural approach to the problem.

ADD does not exist. Its some thing some psychiatrist made up so he had an excuse to give out some more drugs and dismiss his patient, and make some green in the proccess.

Really???? People actually think ADD is a real thing?

DON'T RUIN A CHILDS LIFE BY FORCING DRUGS UPON THEM WHILE THEY ARE TOO YOUNG TO KNOW HOW TO SAY NO!!!!!!!

A childhood friend of mine had the supposed "ADD" as a child. His parents made him take some sort of drug for it. He used the ADD as a crutch and an excuse for the rest of his life. What was once a very smart child with plenty of potential, is now one messed up adult who blames his problems on everything else.

Every male has ADD, none of us pay attention to anything. It is not a disorder though. It should be called "Male pattern addention deficit", because every guy ever has no attention span at all.

I suggest you live a few days in the shoes of some parents and I'm pretty sure your mind would be changed. I know firsthand how much the pharma companies try to promote diseases, but to say that ADD doesn't exist is plain dumb.

ADD does not exist. Its some thing some psychiatrist made up so he had an excuse to give out some more drugs and dismiss his patient, and make some green in the proccess.

Really???? People actually think ADD is a real thing?

DON'T RUIN A CHILDS LIFE BY FORCING DRUGS UPON THEM WHILE THEY ARE TOO YOUNG TO KNOW HOW TO SAY NO!!!!!!!

A childhood friend of mine had the supposed "ADD" as a child. His parents made him take some sort of drug for it. He used the ADD as a crutch and an excuse for the rest of his life. What was once a very smart child with plenty of potential, is now one messed up adult who blames his problems on everything else.

Every male has ADD, none of us pay attention to anything. It is not a disorder though. It should be called "Male pattern addention deficit", because every guy ever has no attention span at all.

Guess I don't exist then either.