That's life

LevysEraII

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets try and not turn this into a "The Bills are moving" thread like every other thread on this board. Lets discuss possible owners for the future, and what plans YOU would make if you were Ralph Wilson before he dies.

Personally if I were running the show, I would try to get Tom Golisano to become a half owner of the Bills right now. Then upon the death of Ralph Wilson, Golisano would take over the full reins of the team.

Who else has a suggestion?

864656[/snapback]

OK. So I tried to start a thread that does NOT include the thoughts of 'we are moving' and the mods put that thread into a 'we are moving' thread :w00t:

The poorest Rich man in the world........poor guy.....I can only imagine the agony he must be going through, i mean to have an initial investment of $40,000 now be worth upwards of $750 Million.....The hardships he must endure

864017[/snapback]

Ralph will never see that $750 million unless he sells the team. Assuming he holds onto it, that $750 million number doesn't mean anything.

It means something.  I think I'm better off with a $750M asset, even if it's not liquid, than not.

865061[/snapback]

It could be a $1B or more asset if he was willing to sell the team to an owner in LA. Let's not be stupid here.

Guess what? Many other owners would have moved by now. Wilson may have his flaws but at least he has kept the team here and fought to give small market teams a fighting chance.

Wilson is not the problem, the NFL is. I hope Bills fans don't realize this too late.

It could be a $1B or more asset if he was willing to sell the team to an owner in LA. Let's not be stupid here.

Guess what? Many other owners would have moved by now. Wilson may have his flaws but at least he has kept the team here and fought to give small market teams a fighting chance.

Wilson is not the problem, the NFL is. I hope Bills fans don't realize this too late.

865066[/snapback]

You are right, a lot of owners might have moved this franchise long ago...we can argue all we want about how much virtue he has, as an NFL owner.

You are not right, however, that the NFL is the problem, not Ralph.

Whether we like it or not, the NFL is huge, the ultimate corporate sport. Ralph helped turn it into that, and has reaped tons of reward for that. Now, he is warning us that it ain't gonna last much longer, instead of thinking of ways to ensure that it does. It may suck, it may not be fair to a city like Buffalo, but it is the way it is.

If the Bills, and the NFL are too big for Ralph at his age, why not try to secure local ownership (while he is alive to do it), or at least a local co-owner, who is up to the challanges of the modern age NFL? It is not going to get smaller...Ralph is the problem right now.

You are right, a lot of owners might have moved this franchise long ago...we can argue all we want about how much virtue he has, as an NFL owner. 

You are not right, however, that the NFL is the problem, not Ralph. 

Whether we like it or not, the NFL is huge, the ultimate corporate sport.  Ralph helped turn it into that, and has reaped tons of reward for that.  Now, he is warning us that it ain't gonna last much longer, instead of thinking of ways to ensure that it does.  It may suck, it may not be fair to a city like Buffalo, but it is the way it is. 

If the Bills, and the NFL are too big for Ralph at his age, why not try to secure local ownership (while he is alive to do it), or at least a local co-owner, who is up to the challanges of the modern age NFL.  It is not going to get smaller...Ralph is the problem right now.

865106[/snapback]

I dont know of any local person who is worth atleast a billion other than Golisano. Do you?

OK, and where would the rest of the ownership be made of?

865116[/snapback]

Anyone anywhere. There are hundreds of stinking rich guys all over the place that would love to be part/minority owners of a team. I personally know of a couple groups who are interested in purchasing the Bills. Right now, they are not up for sale as far as I know.

Anyone anywhere. There are hundreds of stinking rich guys all over the place that would love to be part/minority owners of a team. I personally know of a couple groups who are interested in purchasing the Bills. Right now, they are not up for sale as far as I know.

865119[/snapback]

... and Golisano would still be the majority owner at 35% ???

Bottom line is that the NFL Corporate side sucks. They want to move a team to LA for only one reason money through TV rights. Fact is that the fan base there sucks beyond belief.

Well, if they move.. I am and will be officially done with the NFL.

What would it take to sell the bills to the public like the Packers?

865190[/snapback]

The NFL closed the door on that option.

NFL Rules On Community Team Ownership

Roots, Roots, Roots for the Home Team

Despite the undeniable long-term success of community-owned teams, they don't exist at the major league level outside of Green Bay. The reason is that all major leagues formally or informally prohibit public ownership. The NFL formally outlawed public ownership in 1961, the same year it instituted a radical revenue-sharing policy. Major League Baseball outlawed public ownership through an informal resolution passed in the mid-1980s...

... and Golisano would still be the majority owner at 35% ???

865136[/snapback]

Sure. Or they could make someone a managing partner, who would run the team like an owner would.

Oh, and I suppose today's news proves all these greedy owners want to get The Bills out of Buffalo and into LA. You know, the big markets where the big money is.

NFL | Los Angeles might not receive a team soon

Tue, 12 Dec 2006 21:36:25 -0800

The Associated Press reports NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said Los Angeles might not receive a franchise soon. The league had hoped to put an expansion team there in 2002, but the franchise went to Houston after civic leaders and potential ownership groups could not agree on a stadium site. "I think there has been a misunderstanding in the past that we have to be in Los Angeles. I think we've proven that we don't have to be in Los Angeles. Los Angeles is a wonderful community. It's got great sports fans. It's got great football fans. It's got great NFL fans. We want to be back there. But only on the basis of being successful for the community and for the NFL," Goodell said.