Grade D. Preston and T. Pennington

OnTheRocks

I saw the game but was down with the flu and couldn't really focus on anything in particular.

I like what the OLine has done since the shake up moving Peters to the left side and Gandy to Guard.

Can anyone give a grade on how Preston and Pennington looked yesterday?

Do they look like they have a chance to stick there as starters next year or are they posers?

I can't break down tape like a lot of the very good OL posters on the site but I do know that there is a helluva lot more to being a good offensive line than the sum of its individual parts. A lot of a tackle's production is often directly related to the guard next to him. The chemistry of a line is as important as the individual's talent. The coaching and offensive philosophy is paramount. The ability of the offensive braintrust to use the kinds of plays that the linemen individually and collectively can make, and at the right times, often determines the quality of the play. The play of the QB and RB and WRs and TEs also has a lot to do with how a line looks.

A simple look at Willis' TD is a perfect example. Contrary to a lot of nonsense IMO around here of him rarely running hard or hitting holes, that play was a combination of a lot of factors. They practiced that play all week, specifically for the Jets. They had two TEs on the left side in an unbalanced line. The TEs made great blocks and the linemen all did their individual and collective jobs in unison. The hole wasn't immediate but Willis saw it develop and then exploded through the crease and into the secondary.

Pennington looked lost to me in the first couple games but has really come on. The coaches have a little more confidence running right in the last two games it seems to me, which says a lot. They haven't been clearly abused, which seems obvious. I wouldn't at all say we don't need to draft OL in the first few rounds but I am excited to see how this collective unit plays the last three games against some decent defenses.

Clearly the line as a whole has played better. Pennington started very shaky but now I notice very little disruption from his man, he may be a 7th round gem after all. As for Preston, I'll eat a little crow, you can get by with him, but I'll say by the end of the year, he'd be the most replaceable of the 5. My signature usually tells how I currently feel about the Oline and what I wish could happen. Updates occur with regularity sometimes :( but I think it may last to the end of the year this time. :P

I can't break down tape like a lot of the very good OL posters on the site but I do know that there is a helluva lot more to being a good offensive line than the sum of its individual parts. A lot of a tackle's production is often directly related to the guard next to him. The chemistry of a line is as important as the individual's talent. The coaching and offensive philosophy is paramount. The ability of the offensive braintrust to use the kinds of plays that the linemen individually and collectively can make, and at the right times, often determines the quality of the play. The play of the QB and RB and WRs and TEs also has a lot to do with how a line looks.

A simple look at Willis' TD is a perfect example. Contrary to a lot of nonsense IMO around here of him rarely running hard or hitting holes, that play was a combination of a lot of factors. They practiced that play all week, specifically for the Jets. They had two TEs on the left side in an unbalanced line. The TEs made great blocks and the linemen all did their individual and collective jobs in unison. The hole wasn't immediate but Willis saw it develop and then exploded through the crease and into the secondary. 

Pennington looked lost to me in the first couple games but has really come on. The coaches have a little more confidence running right in the last two games it seems to me, which says a lot. They haven't been clearly abused, which seems obvious. I wouldn't at all say we don't need to draft OL in the first few rounds but I am excited to see how this collective unit plays the last three games against some decent defenses.

862983[/snapback]

Pennington is getting a lot of help. On most passing plays, the back is going over to help him right from the snap unless there is someone screaming in unblocked elsewhere. That is what makes the play of the other guys, especially Peters, that much more impressive. They are mostly holding down the fort on their own with no one backing them up.

The pass protection has been excellent compared to what it was in the first half of the season but at the same time, they haven't done much of anything to open holes in the run game. They did against the Jets but they did that earlier with Reyes and Villarial.

There is certainly reason to be optimistic with this line but at the same time, for us to be a real contender, the line still needs to be upgraded or play better.

The pass protection has been excellent compared to what it was in the first half of the season but at the same time, they haven't done much of anything to open holes in the run game.

863095[/snapback]

Yep. Preston needs to be replaced with a roadgrading OG if the Bills want to ever have a consistent running game. I would go ahead and kick Pennington to the curb, too, but I'm not sure the Bills have the resources (draft picks, $$$) to afford to not give him a chance to develop because he does have upside due to strength / body size. OG needs to be upgraded, though, because it's relatively cheap to do so (say, a second rounder, if we go the draft route).

I saw the game but was down with the flu and couldn't really focus on anything in particular.

862972[/snapback]

That is one of the finest quotes ever.......were you "under the weather" to take notes or something?????

I like what the OLine has done since the shake up moving Peters to the left side and Gandy to Guard. 

Can anyone give a grade on how Preston and Pennington looked yesterday?

Do they look like they have a chance to stick there as starters next year or are they posers?

862972[/snapback]

An OL is the closest thing to an orchestra the game has. Playing together means a lot...and it pays to get the bench some playing time in a game, when one can.

I thought Terrance did rather well for himself yesterday. His aunt and cousin came up to our Bills Bar and watched the game with us, and they said that as a 7th round rookie tackle he was a little bit surprised to be thrust into the starting line-up so soon, but he's adjusting pretty quickly. They also said he's "loving Buffalo" which is a good sign!

Pennington is coming along nicely. I think O Tackel is one of the toughest positions to learn in the NFL. He did look lost, but I think he is progressing rapidly. I think we are good with L&R Tackel and L Guard. The center and right guard seem to be doing well, but we might need someone in those spots.

Obviously Peters is a lock, and I think Fowler needs to stay because he is good, and that's a good position to get continuity.

I think Preston is the first to be replaced. He is a good multi-position backup, but not going to make the difference and excel.

I'm really rooting for Pennington to blossom, because I'd love to have RT locked down for a while. At 6'7", 325, and 23 years old, all that is missing is the actual football playing part :thumbsup:, so I think he clearly has more upside than Preston or Gandy.

Gandy has been more solid than I expected, but lacks much upside. He can stay there if we can't get two guards who are better than he is, or if we decide Pennington isn't the guy, and we don't want to turn over three linemen.

So for now I'd say Preston, thanks for filling in, head back to the bench until someone else gets hurt. Pennington, keep working hard because we would love to pencil you in at RT with a better guard next to you if you can progress in these next three weeks. Gandy, keep at it, because while you aren't great, we might just put our energy into other positions and tolerate pretty good.

Also, I think Butler and Merz can both be thrown in the mix, but it is hard to picture either starting at this point. Both are young enough that they could surprise and progress, so I don't see any point in picking up lower round linemen at this point. So a day 1 RG unless free agency finds us a gem, and consider all the RT and LG options and weigh them against what we have and what we give up at other positions to get them.

Also, something interesting to do (although not always great angles) is to watch the BuffaloBills.com cam of the game focusing only one lineman the whole time through.