Losman can play in this league...

The_Real

Sorry no fantasy teams and don't care.  You're missing the point.  I am happy we are winning and playing much better.  However I still think we have JP on way too short a leash.  Example 3rd and 6 from the 24 up 28-13 and we run the ball.  We play scared that he will get sacked or throw an int.

863142[/snapback]

Really? Or maybe we were playing to, I don't know, win?

There was 8 minutes and 48 seconds left on the clock on this play. By running the ball, the field goal was kicked with 8:04 left to play, and thus put the Bills up by a 3 score margin instead of a 2 score margin with 8 minutes left.

It is not necessarily the case that they didn't have faith in JP or they are keeping him on a short leash. Actually, I think it is the case that the Bills are very confident in their defense's ability to stop the Jets' offense at that point.

You run the ball, take 30 seconds off the clock to aid the defense, and then go up by 3 scores. Then you give the ball to the Jets offense, who hasn't beaten you at all in the 2nd half, and dare them to win the game.

If this team had an offense that was much more prolific than its defense, in the same situation, then you throw the football. However, you said it yourself - we are 30th in passing. Aiding the better of the two units, the defense, to win it at that point is a smart decision, not a stupid one.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You DON'T risk a sack or pick in that situation because if you get the field goal, which we did, it becomes a three score lead. See...in the NFL, if you score more than the other team, you win. If you are ahead by two scores, and you have a chance to move ahead by three scores, you don't do something foolish.

That's not playing scared. It's playing smart. I appreciate that you're lying in bed at night hugging your Jim Kelly doll and wondering why Vanilla Ice isn't still cranking out albums, but before the team can start giving you stats to make you happy, they have to learn how to win.

Please, Anthony...when a guy like me has to point this very, very basic stuff out to someone, then it's a pretty clear sign you either don't know anything about the game or you're just trying to bust balls.

863159[/snapback]

Vanilla Ice isn't cutting albums? :thumbsup::beer:

I have agreed with everything and am happy we are winning.  I however do not think it is unreasonable to see whether we have a Desoto or a Ferrari at QB....  If it is a Ferrari, we're driving 20 in the passing lane.  For a desoto I guess we are doing quite well....

863430[/snapback]

You are making this waaaaay too complicated. Evaluate how well he throws, not how much he throws.

Losman is 18th in passing yardage because he is 20th in passing attempts. The fact is, he's 12th in YPA, 10th in Comp. PCT, and 13th in TD PCT. Those are all statistics that are all independent of passing attempts, and that is where Losman gets to show that he is a pretty decent NFL quarterback.

Yardage by itself is not very meaningful. Look at the top ten in yardage, it is littered with underperformers such as Jon Kitna (3rd), Favre (6th), Roethlisberger (7th), and E. Manning (10th).

Look at the passing attempt leaders: Favre (1st), Kitna (2nd), Bulger (5th), E. Manning (6th), B. Johnson (8th), and Delhomme (10th). These are not QBs from teams that are winning many ball games....

I don't blame JP, but again we have less the 200 yards passing and that to me is Mendoza line for QB's (or in this case offensive coordinators).  That makes 9 of 13 games under 200 yards passing and 4-5 games with under 15 passes....

862985[/snapback]

Do you care to show any proof that winning percentage is significantly improved with 200+ passing yards? or you just don't care about winning and only like fancy stats? :thumbsup:

For your information, the weekly passing yard leaders this season are

Week 14: Weinke 423 yards

Week 13: Manning 351 yards

Week 12: Leinart 405 yards

Week 11: Brees 510 yards

Week 10: Palmer 440 yards

Week 9: Roethlisberger 433 yards

Week 8: Brees 383 yards

Week 7: Harrington 414 yards

Week 6: Delhomme 365 yards

Week 5: McNabb 354 yards

Week 4: Brees 349 yards

Week 3: Kitna 342 yards

Week 2: Manning 400 yards

Week 1: Pennington 319 yards

And the final scores of these games are:

Week 14: Weinke 423 yards (L, 13-27)

Week 13: Manning 351 yards (L, 17-20)

Week 12: Leinart 405 yards (L, 26-31)

Week 11: Brees 510 yards (L, 16-31)

Week 10: Palmer 440 yards (L, 41-49)

Week 9: Roethlisberger 433 yards (L, 20-31)

Week 8: Brees 383 yards (L, 22-35)

Week 7: Harrington 414 yards (L, 24-34)

Week 6: Delhomme 365 yards (W, 23-21)

Week 5: McNabb 354 yards (W, 38-24)

Week 4: Brees 349 yards (L, 18-21)

Week 3: Kitna 342 yards (L, 24-31)

Week 2: Manning 400 yards (W, 43-24)

Week 1: Pennington 319 yards (W, 23-16)

Overall: 4W 10L

You are making this waaaaay too complicated. Evaluate how well he throws, not how much he throws.

Losman is 18th in passing yardage because he is 20th in passing attempts. The fact is, he's 12th in YPA, 10th in Comp. PCT, and 13th in TD PCT. Those are all statistics that are all independent of passing attempts, and that is where Losman gets to show that he is a pretty decent NFL quarterback.

Yardage by itself is not very meaningful. Look at the top ten in yardage, it is littered with underperformers such as Jon Kitna (3rd), Favre (6th), Roethlisberger (7th), and E. Manning (10th).

Look at the passing attempt leaders: Favre (1st), Kitna (2nd), Bulger (5th), E. Manning (6th), B. Johnson (8th), and Delhomme (10th). These are not QBs from teams that are winning many ball games....

863471[/snapback]

You make a convincing case that Losman has been playing well. But don't get the annointing oil out just yet.

I have agreed with everything and am happy we are winning.  I however do not think it is unreasonable to see whether we have a Desoto or a Ferrari at QB....  If it is a Ferrari, we're driving 20 in the passing lane.  For a desoto I guess we are doing quite well....

863430[/snapback]

If you put it like that, your answer will never come for as long as there is a compentent coaching staff in place. The will game plan will always dictate the way offense attacts in accordence to the weakness of the opposing defense. Once either team is loosing by double digits, that may dictate a change ie more passes or more running. Its a team sport. It doesnt matter if you have a ferrari or desoto, you get a flat tire or two your slowing down.

What I do know, is JP can lead the team back and win, he is a team player and spreads the ball around. But most of all he is progressing! Them are the things that I care about.

If I want to annoint J.P. Losman as pretty decent, damn it, I will annoint him as pretty decent!  :thumbsup:

863558[/snapback]

Well, if you're going to annoint him anyway, you may as well do it right. Don't pinch pennies on the cheap oil--get the good stuff. Wear proper robes or something. Properly plan and execute the ceremony. Be sure to send a DVD of said ceremony to Bill Parcells, just to get a reaction.

....However again we seem to love to get carried away with JP when he threw all of 15 times....

862872[/snapback]

HOU 38 passes WIN

JAX 28 passes WIN

SD 37 passes LOSS

What exactly have you been watching the last 4 weeks????

.....We are cheering and delirious with glee (some of us at least) with JP controlling the game as opposed to winning it.......

862985[/snapback]

What about against HOU & JAX?

He won those two for us.

What games have you been watching the last 4 weeks???

.....However I still think we have JP on way too short a leash.......

863142[/snapback]

But before the HOU game we were told that the leash would be taken off....AND IT WAS!!!!!

What games have you been watching the last 4 weeks???

We are 30th in passing....  Sorry if I am not happy with that....

863009[/snapback]

Look at our offence in two sections.....pre-HOU....& post-HOU.

I refer to the HOU game because that is where the Offence was opened up more.

Pre-HOU....we netted an average of 139.4 passing yards/game

post-HOU....we netted an average of 203.3 passing yards/game

That means we'd be about 16th in passing over the last 4 weeks....or to put it differently....since we cut JPs leash.

Again I ask you....what games have you been watching the past 4 weeks??? :thumbsup::beer::(