Let's Be Clear On What We Want

Tolstoy

All this draft talk is beginning to bother me. Some of us are wishing that the Bills lose so they get the highest draft pick possible. Let me tell you this: that would be the worst thing for the Bills.

What they need is a surge now. They need the young players to emerge: JP, Preston, Pennington, Parrish, Whitner, Simpson etc. If the Bills are going anywhere next year--it won't be because of draft picks they get in June. It will be because some of the aforementioned players become stars.

So let's all get beind our team to beat the stinking Jets today. No traitors in our midst!

I'm looking at todays game for a measuring guide on this years team. I'm very interested in how they respond to a Jets team that is on the rise with a first year head coach.

Yes, I do agree with you. Let's see how are youngsters respond today and the rest of this year.

I'm looking at todays game for a measuring guide on this years team. I'm very interested in how they respond to a Jets team that is on the rise with a first year head coach.

Yes, I do agree with you. Let's see how are youngsters respond today and the rest of this year.

861401[/snapback]

Right on!

Maybe this is the wrong thread to throw this into, but...

The Jets were a missed field goal away from the championship game in 2004. Last year, their QB went down for the season and they never regrouped. I'm not saying I predicted the Jets would be in good position for a wild card, but I'm not surprised by it. This isn't a team on the rise. This is a team that's been there and is intent on going back.

Maybe this is the wrong thread to throw this into, but...

The Jets were a missed field goal away from the championship game in 2004.  Last year, their QB went down for the season and they never regrouped.  I'm not saying I predicted the Jets would be in good position for a wild card, but I'm not surprised by it.  This isn't a team on the rise.  This is a team that's been there and is intent on going back.

861413[/snapback]

True, and they cut ties with their weakest link - Sperm Edwards. He's a Hip-Hop version of Rich Kotite and now KC's problem.

Frankly Pennington's performance this year is nothing short of amazing to me. I never thought he had a strong arm, and I've seen nothing to convince me otherwise this year. But, just the fact that he can throw even those loopy lobs that he does this soon after a major reconstruction is remarkable to me. He is a field general to be reconned with. If JP had the field presence that Chud does, we wouldn't be discussing the next Draft as much as we currently are.

The other two things that Gangrene did right in the Off Season were to hire a HC from the Billy Goat's tree. I have to admit thought, I wasn't sold on him - until the season started. But he looks more and more like the real deal and he's going to be there for a long, long time. And, who could mention the JESTS and the Off Season without giving a hat-tip to Bill from NYC? The Dog-Assed Jets had one of the best drafts of OL talent I've seen in years. Makes Pittzberg drool and puts the lie to Oakland's team of talent evaluators.

This will be only the third Bills game I'll be able to watch this year. I have only modest hope that it will be an enjoyable game to view.

Of course, this is just my opinion. If I've offended anyone, please contact Gloria Aldred and have her contact my attorney and maybe we could have sushi together on neutral turf.

Great post, Nanker!

Your Best lines:

--Sperm Edwards. He's a Hip-Hop version of Rich Kotite

-- please contact Gloria Aldred and have her contact my attorney and maybe we could have sushi together on neutral turf.

Anyway, this is a measuring stick game for sure. We lost last game on the Justin Miller special teams play. That has been stuck in their craw since then. They'll show up today.

Sullivan wrote a great column today with the same sentiments.

What hasn't been mentioned is that getting to 8-8 or 9-7 is very important when courting free agents & telling them they can be on a team on the rise. TD was able to sell that to Takeo & Sam Adams after Drew's 1st season. Players like these won't come to a 6-10 team.

Last year, at the time of the Bengals game, was a totally different scenario. First it was the 2nd to last game of the season. At 4-10, the season was already down the drain, the idiot coach was playing veterans who had no chance of being contributors to a future championship team and getting rid of the coach & gm was a priority. I was openly rooting for a loss because we had a shot at a premium pick (which would have meant Ferguson) and the future would be better with a total tear down of the team's management.

Now, with the new management in place, losing down the stretch is not a good option. If you look at giant leaps that most teams with coaches in their 2nd season make, it is after showing improvement in the final part of the previous season. Progress is visable at the end of 1 season & carries over to the next. The best cases usually involve the 2nd season of a new coaching staff that got it together after the mid season point of their 1st year with the team.

Great post, Nanker!

Your Best lines:

--Sperm Edwards. He's a Hip-Hop version of Rich Kotite

-- please contact Gloria Aldred and have her contact my attorney and maybe we could have sushi together on neutral turf.

Anyway, this is a measuring stick game for sure. We lost last game on the Justin Miller special teams play. That has been stuck in their craw since then. They'll show up today.

861441[/snapback]

Thanks. I agree most with your last paragraph. :(

All this draft talk is beginning to bother me. Some of us are wishing that the Bills lose so they get the highest draft pick possible.  Let me tell you this: that would be the worst thing for the Bills.

What they need is a surge now.  They need the young players to emerge: JP, Preston, Pennington, Parrish, Whitner, Simpson etc.  If the Bills are going anywhere next year--it won't be because of draft picks they get in June.  It will be because some of the aforementioned players become stars.

So let's all get beind our team to beat the stinking Jets today.  No traitors in our midst!

861398[/snapback]

I agree in principle. When the Buffalo Bills Football Team is playing, winning comes first, let alone when they are playing the jests.

At the same time, I don't think that posters should be discouraged from talking draft (not that you are trying to do so). There are posters here who spend countless hours evaluating the draft; some even watch film, and I love to hear what they have to say. Some of these people are literal experts (NOT ME). :(

In this sense, sometimes I enjoy the offseason on TBD more than the regular season. During free agency and the draft, hope runs wild (at least to me).

Other than wanting the Bills to lose, it's all good. :doh::doh:

I have said many times before, but will say here in agreement with Tolstoy and others:

50 shares of a winning experience in a game (or maybe 35 for the guys coming back the next season) are worth more than the one or two spots on the draft slot a loss gets you. The only exception to this might be a week 15 or 16 game by a team picking in the top 4 in an imbalanced group (the difference between Julius Peppers and Mike Williams, or Petyon Manning and Ryan Leaf), and even then I have my doubts whether it is instead a crap shoot.

Winning is a really valuable experience for all players and teams, especially young teams. Moving from 13 to 9 in a draft has a small, uncertain, and somewhat random effect on a team. I'll take the winning every day of the week, and twice on Sundays. :(

I agree in principle. When the Buffalo Bills Football Team is playing, winning comes first, let alone when they are playing the jests.

At the same time, I don't think that posters should be discouraged from talking draft (not that you are trying to do so). There are posters here who spend countless hours evaluating the draft; some even watch film, and I love to hear what they have to say. Some of these people are literal experts (NOT ME).  :(

In this sense, sometimes I enjoy the offseason on TBD more than the regular season. During free agency and the draft, hope runs wild (at least to me).

Other than wanting the Bills to lose, it's all good.  :doh:  :doh:

861473[/snapback]

Good point. I also like the draft talk, and would not want to discourage it at all. What prompted my message above was that I actually caught myself thinking about the draft, and hoping we get the lowest pick possible. That's when I woke up and realized I was hoping for something not at all good for this team. They need to win. Period.

Good point.  I also like the draft talk, and would not want to discourage it at all.  What prompted my message above was that I actually caught myself thinking about the draft, and hoping we get the lowest pick possible.  That's when I woke up and realized I was hoping for something not at all good for this team.  They need to win. Period.

861547[/snapback]

In my opinion, we are good to go at LT, DE and QB, or so it would appear. These positions traditionally go very early, so a top 5 pick becomes less of a need, or so I think.

If we are looking at a RT, OG, or LB, these guys can be had later on, and I am talikng about great ones. As I recall, Faneca was a #26, and DeMeco Ryans went in the 2nd. Notice that I left out the secondary.

The Bills will have the cap space, and a golden opportunity to improve this team in 07. What we WON'T have is any excuses, because our needs are clear.