Why NFL Replay does not work....

AnthonyF

Plenty of reasons, but there is one glaring reason more so then others.....

The Ref should not be going over to a small screen and being forced to overturn a call by HIS crew... One Ref has not overturned a call this year and probably 90% of calls are also upheld if you were to check the records. These guys are not that good.....

Like the NHL, they go upstairs, review with slow motion and closeups and make the right call....

And while I'm at it....

Also do not make up rules (like heal on Sunday).

As for pass interference and claiming the ball was tipped, that is an outright lie. You make the interfernece call and then confer whether it was tipped. If then there is a coach's challenge, that too can be reviewed (tipped).

Add to that having the defensive player carry you ob, that too should be reviewable as it is a very easy call....

The NFL refs are a complete joke...

The Ref should not be going over to a small screen and being forced to overturn a call by HIS crew...  One Ref has not overturned a call this year and probably 90% of calls are also upheld if you were to check the records.  These guys are not that good.....

Like the NHL, they go upstairs, review with slow motion and closeups and make the right call....

And while I'm at it....

As for pass interference and claiming the ball was tipped, that is an outright lie.  You make the interfernece call and then confer whether it was tipped.  If then there is a coach's challenge, that too can be reviewed (tipped).

Add to that having the defensive player carry you ob, that too should be reviewable as it is a very easy call....

857967[/snapback]

Was that the 20 yarder to Evans? I can't remember who was on the receiving end.

I was on the other side of the stadium so I didn't have the greatest view. What I saw was a pass whose flightpath acted like the ball had some topspin. I didn't see anyone in position to tip it, but of course they didn't show a replay which showed the whole flight of the ball. Are you sure?

The Ref should not be going over to a small screen and being forced to overturn a call by HIS crew...  One Ref has not overturned a call this year and probably 90% of calls are also upheld if you were to check the records.  These guys are not that good.....

And while I'm at it....

As for pass interference and claiming the ball was tipped, that is an outright lie.  You make the interfernece call and then confer whether it was tipped.  If then there is a coach's challenge, that too can be reviewed (tipped).

857967[/snapback]

Two things. One the rule about the heal was absolutely correct and i've seen it called quite a few times, but the defender pushing peerless out of bounds is a judgment call and there is no definitive rule on that play.

The pass was to Reed. The play right after the Price non catch.

I saw the play in slow motion and didn't look to be tipped. A defender jumped up but looked to have missed it. The other defender who hit Reed had no way of seeing it was tipped either, it was a quick play.

It doesn't work, becacuse the NFL never wanted it. Therefore, they designed a system that was so flawed they figured it'd be voted out in no time.

Just a few design flaws for starters: it's too restrictive. Only certain plays in certain circumstances can be reviewed. The coach (who is on the sidelines often half a field from the play) decides which plays to review and has to sacrifice time outs to do so. They only get a limited number of chances to review plays. The whole notion of make a call first, then decide if there's overwhelming evidence to overturn your own call. Therefore, they all too often rely on their initial on the field call rather than believing what the camera clearly shows. Relying on TV cameras for the replay footage; cameras that are often out of place or not providing footage to coaches quick enough to make a proper decision. Completely stopping everything on the field for entirely too long so the ref can go to special display to do the review. Why not just have a ref in the booth, upstairs do the review?

i think another reason it dosn't work is because you get reasons like well the whistle already blew and that play is not reviewable.i mean if a ref blows a call i think all plays should be reviewable.who cares if it stops the game for 3 minutes if they get it right i think that would be more important.go bills!

i think another reason it dosn't work is because you get reasons like well the whistle already blew and that play is not reviewable.i mean if a ref blows a call i think all plays should be reviewable.who cares if it stops the game for 3 minutes if they get it right i think that would be more important.go bills!

858382[/snapback]

Like the play where ED HOCHULI ruled JP's knee was down when he completed a first down pass to Cieslak. That got ruled a sack and was complete BS. That play needs to be reviewed, but they can't because the whistle was blown dead.

.....and probably 90% of calls are also upheld if you were to check the records.  These guys are not that good.....

857967[/snapback]

IIRC there was a directive to the refs this season to only overturn a call if it is absolutely definitive that the original call was wrong. Any doubt at all....any doubts....& the call is suppose to stay as called. I personally think this is exactly how it should be.

858382[/snapback]

I think the new rule allows for fumbles to be reviewed after the whistle?

There are still too many "one way streets"... Progress is still not reviewable... See Chi-Arz game this year.

I love when people bring up conspiracy theories like this.  :doh:

858398[/snapback]

I never said conspiracy. I just implied that the current system is so poorly designed that it seems as though it was designed to fail.

Is that such a stretch of the imagination? The league was on record as being very much against replay review. Not to mention, that in this modern age, you're telling me that they can't review more plays, more easily, and more efficiently? Of course they can. So that begs the question, why don't they?

ssshhhh.....they might be listening. :doh:

858401[/snapback]

Yeah. The NFL is gonna shut down this message board because we know the secret! Haha ... :lol:

There is no conspiracy... They are inadvertantly "pushing" outcomes...

It is severely flawed.

858403[/snapback]

What do you mean "pushing" outcomes? Im sorry man, but there would be wayyy too many people having to keep quit. If the NFL was pushing wins, I cant help but think that the Colts would have won the SB the year that Manning broke those single season records and was league MVP.

I never said conspiracy.  I just implied that the current system is so poorly designed that it seems as though it was designed to fail. 

Is that such a stretch of the imagination?  The league was on record as being very much against replay review.  Not to mention, that in this modern age, you're telling me that they can't review more plays, more easily, and more efficiently? Of course they can.  So that begs the question, why don't they?

858408[/snapback]

No its not a huge stretch of the imagination ... but neither is us not landing on the moon. To answer your question, why dont they? I dont know. Maybe because it would take WAY too much time if every play was reviewable, and especially if ANOTHER referee had to do the reviewing (any remember the Sabres game a few weeks back where it took them about 10 minutes to review a call. that was painfuly long)

You guys are talking about a multi billion dollar a year company (in a sense). If they were altering (or 'pushing') the outcome of games in their favor there could be some HUGE consequences.

How about this. As we know every week the NFL grades the referee’s performance. In most cases letters are sent to the teams explaining which calls were incorrect. Instead of some apology letter why not make the total number of bad calls part of the playoff and draft tiebreakers. It doesn't have to be a really high tiebreaker, just something that could help make up for the bad calls. By the way I don't think they would ever consider being so fair.

.....Instead of some apology letter why not make the total number of bad calls part of the playoff and draft tiebreakers. It doesn't have to be a really high tiebreaker, just something that could help make up for the bad calls......

My reaction was...."They'd never do it because......um.....well.....actually that's a very good idea." :doh: