Why NFL Replay does not work....

AnthonyF

The NFL replay system is not designed to have a perfect game called, it's designed to have a better game called. The more calls the system gets right, the closer the game is to being perfectly called. It's like trying to be a good person, you cannot be perfect but if you try to be, you become closer. So it's a great system, just not perfect.

There are also certain elements of the replay designed specifically NOT to get the right call. Those elements are designed like certain laws (re: cops cannot barge into your house without a warrant) to prevent abuses of the system, like playing after the whistle. The Refs, and the NFL, and reasonable fans understand those kinds of things must be there, otherwise all hell would break loose with the system. You cannot, for example, tell players to stop immediately when they hear a whistle, and then award a replay change or possession change after a whistle has occurred. That is going to make players play after the whistle.

The system is constantly being tweaked to get it closer to being perfect. It has flaws, it could be a little bit better, but it's a great overall system.

The NFL replay system is not designed to have a perfect game called, it's designed to have a better game called. The more calls the system gets right, the closer the game is to being perfectly called. It's like trying to be a good person, you cannot be perfect but if you try to be, you become closer. So it's a great system, just not perfect.

There are also certain elements of the replay designed specifically NOT to get the right call. Those elements are designed like certain laws (re: cops cannot barge into your house without a warrant) to prevent abuses of the system, like playing after the whistle. The Refs, and the NFL, and reasonable fans understand those kinds of things must be there, otherwise all hell would break loose with the system. You cannot, for example, tell players to stop immediately when they hear a whistle, and then award a replay change or possession change after a whistle has occurred. That is going to make players play after the whistle.

The system is constantly being tweaked to get it closer to being perfect. It has flaws, it could be a little bit better, but it's a great overall system.

858493[/snapback]

Just think about how crappy the league was when there was no replay....you got boned and had zero recourse....at least there is a chance to make a wrong call right...

one thing they should do is ensure that there are an equal number of cameras at all games, this was there is consistency when it comes to a number of angles during the review process...that could have definately assisted us in this past week's games... had it been televised more angles would have been available to prove the officials blew many calls...

858493[/snapback]

Ding, ding, ding we have a winner!!! :doh:

It doesn't work because the NFL tries to do it on the cheap instead of doing it right. Why should they depend on the TV network's cameras which aren't there to get the best view of plays, but to show the coolest angle?

If the NFL was serious about this, they'd install their own cameras on each sideline, goal line, end zone line. Then they'd have the ability to zoom in and see where a foot/ball was. The technology exists.

They'd also review from the booth any change of pessesion (fumble, pick, punt, etc). Do away with the goofy challenge system. If the ideas is to get the calls right, whey can they only look at one per half IF the team asks for it. Goofy. I say do it right, or get rid of it. I'd be perfectly happy if they just got rid of it all together. There's enough dead time in football as it is. I don't think we need more.

The NFL is the only professional league with part time officials. Al of these guys go to work at their real jobs Monday morning. They ahev the same work stresses as the rest of us. How much time do you have during the week to review game film?

I say make the NFL officials full time like every other league. That way they have no other responsibilties during the week except reviewing film, grading their own performance 1 on 1 with the league office rather than via memo, god forbid going to the opthamologist (I couldn't help it). It's farcical to me that the people who have the most control over the outcome of a game have the least formal training and least attachment to the league itself.

If you think it is so easy why don't you get out there and try it smart ass.  It's not as easy as you think it is while you are sitting in your Barcalounger.   :)

858450[/snapback]

Bingo! Heck reffing a high school game can be challenging. Think about how fast an NFL play happens. You have to be fast with those calls. I cant tell you how many times I thought a receiver caught a ball and a ref called it incomplete and when they slowed it down, the ball actually did touch the ground. Its a tough job and they are good at it.

858493[/snapback]

Great post.

The NFL is the only professional league with part time officials.  Al of these guys go to work at their real jobs Monday morning.  They ahev the same work stresses as the rest of us.  How much time do you have during the week to review game film?

I say make the NFL officials full time like every other league.  That way they have no other responsibilties during the week except reviewing film, grading their own performance 1 on 1 with the league office rather than via memo, god forbid going to the opthamologist (I couldn't help it).  It's farcical to me that the people who have the most control over the outcome of a game have the least formal training and least attachment to the league itself.

858931[/snapback]

I agree and I posted in another thread about this a few months back.

ON THE OTHER HAND:

NFL Refs make between $1,500 and $4,300 per game ... thats a lot of money for 3 hours of work.

The NFL is the only professional league with part time officials.  Al of these guys go to work at their real jobs Monday morning.  They ahev the same work stresses as the rest of us.  How much time do you have during the week to review game film?

I say make the NFL officials full time like every other league.  That way they have no other responsibilties during the week except reviewing film, grading their own performance 1 on 1 with the league office rather than via memo, god forbid going to the opthamologist (I couldn't help it).  It's farcical to me that the people who have the most control over the outcome of a game have the least formal training and least attachment to the league itself.

858931[/snapback]

I don't think this makes much difference. They make the right call most of the time. It will NEVER be perfect. A bigger problem is the complexity of the NFL rules. Simplify the rules and call them consistently. My example is the horse collar rule. Good rule put in to prevent injury. However it's worded that a players feet must come out from under him etc. Just make the rule that if you grab the collar, it's a penalty, period. The rules are too complicated. Loosen up the PI rule too. And another thing, why can't you advance a muff? That's a dumb rule.