Who was your best teacher in school?

any grade. Why did you like the teacher and what did they teach. Did a teacher ever make you like a topic you previously hated? Just wondering

851649[/snapback]

Washington Elementary School, Kenmore NY 1969 Mrs. Farnham 5th grade

All I know is she was kind and caring and what impressed me was sometime during the school year, her house had burned down, She and her family had lost everything, but she never missed a day (that I recall), never complained, always came in with a big smile and words of encouragement. She made the biggest impression on me growing up.

Sue Potrikus, Liverpool High School Math teacher...got my ass through summer school geometry, then had her for trig...one of the best teachers in liverpool, ask anyone from there that was around during her tenure...she was the tops.

Dr. Franklin B Krohn, a marketing prof at Fredonia was another outstanding teacher...thanks to both of them specifically and all of them generally!

any grade. Why did you like the teacher and what did they teach. Did a teacher ever make you like a topic you previously hated? Just wondering

851649[/snapback]

Mrs. Piantadosi, 2nd grade, 1987. She was HOT HOT HOT!

In college (Rutgers), Donna Toma who taught Adolescent Pysch and Abnormal Psych. Awesome teacher, and we later found out that her dad and my grandfather were partners in the Newark Police Department.

Sr. Vincent...St Teresa's seventh grade

College...Leslie Fiedler...taught Whitman...the man was by far the smartest and most literate man I've ever met. His "Love and Death in the American Novel" was the basis for American Literary Criticism for a generation. Just died recently. One of my classmates in that class was Wolf Blitzer.

Law School...Heywood Burns...great criminal law and procedure prof., later dean of CUNY Law School, and died a few years ago in Africa where he was helping draft a new constitution for one of the countries. Ken Joyce, Property, was a strong second here.

Kendale Elem. 4th and 5th grade, Mrs. Dolores Potter. She made me love reading, and while I didn't get into a literature career, her enthusiasm into reading made me like it, like books and stories, and reading is never a bad trait to have.

And then in College, George Dawson and Randy Spaid had the biggest impact on the teacher that I've become. I couldn't do what I do now without their molding my techniques.

High School - Howard Van Scoter (pronouced Scooter) - Regents Physics. I swear each class was like being at a comedy club. The guy was always on.

College - Dr. Wimp - Differential Equations. Taught the subject in such a way as the entire class would seem to go "aahhhh" like the kids in "Better Off Dead". If he was the prof in all my college classes, I would have gratuated SCL.

Maybe you need to have a funny name?

Elementary School: 3rd Grade - Mrs. Ainsle (ain-slee) Just in case you were wondering. She was an older "gray hair in a bonnet" type, but she was kind and an excellent teacher.

Jr.-Sr. High: Mr. Martin. English. English class was tough for me....but he required me to take a regents level class because he knew if I applied myself I would pass. I always liked teachers that set the bar high.

College: Mr. Jones. Biology. His first name was Jim. I kidded him about his name all the time. I hated the class, but I like him very much.

Geometry - Frontier Central - Mr. Baldelli. I heard he became a prick after they made him principal though.

Accounting - RIT - Peter Ciacia - He had to be good to make accounting fun!

My favorite teachers now are both my daughters - one home-schooled three kids and they are now top of the class in public schools. The other is Babyrock - elementary ed (5th grade) and Varsity cheerleading. :blink:

Lew-Port High School:

Math - Mrs. Mathews, Pre-Calculus - Nicest woman ever, made everything seem so simple. I'm actually taking Calc I in college now and I go back to her for help, she makes it that easy.

Social Studies - Every teacher from 6th-8th grade, as well as 11th-12th grade (Mr. Brennan, Mr. Sicoli, Mr. Bollinger, Mrs. D'Anna and Mr. Townsend, in order)

As you can tell, I really enjoyed my history classes in high school, and I can see now why Lew-Port has one of the most highly regarded Social Studies departments in WNY.

Stella Niagara Military Academy: Sister Mary Margret. She always made learning fun, but could be a mean a SOB if you pissed her off. We used to call her Sister Knuckles, because her hands looked like a boxers hands. Ugly son of a gun too.