Weather will be the

PNW_Bills_Fan

Up to the minute forecast: High of 32 with snow flurries. SD has not seen weather like this since last season. I like our chances. They're going to turn it over 2 more times than the Bills.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well it's only Tuesday, this can't be very accurate so let's not get our hopes up too soon.

851176[/snapback]

The forecast for Saturday is even worse with a high of 36 and high winds. I'm very confident that we're going to have some traditional Buffalo Bills weather for our SD guests.

Has any one done study on how warm weather teams do in cold weather climate.

I think this weekend has all the makings of an upset

850482[/snapback]

I would say that San Diego is a somewhat warm team. Not a true warm team, but I think weather will be a huge factor. Maybe it will snow in Buffalo too.

The Chargers were losers in the "Freezer Bowl"... :bag:

"The Freezer Bowl (January 10, 1982) was the 1981 AFC Championship Game between the San Diego Chargers and Cincinnati Bengals. The game was played in the coldest temperature in NFL history in terms of wind chill. Air temperature was -9°F (-23°C), but the wind chill was -59°F (-51°C). The game was played at Cincinnati's Riverfront Stadium."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freezer_Bowl

I would say that San Diego is a somewhat warm team.  Not a true warm team, but I think weather will be a huge factor.  Maybe it will snow in Buffalo too.

851198[/snapback]

While I'm hopeful the weather will have an impact this weekend (we're going to need all the help we can get against San Diego), I'm not convinced it's going to be the difference maker. :bag:

Look at it this way - with the exception of the fluke blizzard in October, in how many cold weather games have WE played this season? Moreover, age is getting to me, but perhaps someone can tell me if we even played in Buffalo in the few days following that blizzard. As I recall, the temperature popped right back up, resulting in a boatload of flooding in WNY and the Southern Tier. I can buy the argument that cold weather is USUALLY a great friend of the Bills, but we too have to get some acclimation to our "friend"! It's the end of November, and people here in the Mohawk Valley (usually a few degrees colder than Erie County, but not as windy) are walking around in sweatshirts with no jackets. This Bills team hasn't played in cold weather since last December, and most of the guys on THAT team aren't here anymore.

Talk to me about weather by about the Miami/Tennessee time frames. THAT'S a horse of a different color.

Still and all, there's simply NOTHING as effective as the combination of:

- cold, awful weather

- PACKED stadium

- warm-weather opponent

Who remembers the 1990 AFC title game with Jay Schroeder and the L.A. Limp-Wristed-Nancy-Boys? Now, THAT was a weather advantage. :huh:

How many of our rookies have played in cold weather?

851139[/snapback]

Whitner and Youboty are Ohio State guys, and Whitner's from Cleveland. Have to figure they've seen snow. (Of course, San Diego also has their share of Big 10 players, including four of five o-line starters and their kicker...)

Ko Simpson (South Carolina) and Kyle Williams(LSU)? Not so much. And hopefully Roscoe is beyond the hiding-when-the-ground-turns-white stage.

Honestly, I'm watching the wind forecast more closely than the temperature. Guarantee Rivers hasn't met anything like the "Hawk", unless NC State happened to play a game during a hurricane while he was there. Bills special teams should have a definite advantage if the breeze picks up >15 mph, because they're familiar with the RWS wind patterns.

Stop with the common sense!  :bag:  The weather will be a HUGE advantage for the Bills!

851473[/snapback]

Pshawww, more than a HUGE advantage, it is THE deciding factor.

Not trying to poke too much fun at the original poster, but weather may play a part, and inclimate weather should favor the Bills, but common, not the deciding factor.

Look at it this way - with the exception of the fluke blizzard in October, in how many cold weather games have WE played this season? 

It's a question of acclimation, not if the Bills have played in a cold weather game.

The Bills have been living in a region where the mean temp for the last month has been about 45 degrees. The Chargers have been living in a mean 60. It takes 1 - 4 days for partial acclimation, > 10 for full. The difference the Chargers are going to feel is going to be far worse than the Bills by a factor of 2. The weather is GOING to make a difference.

Stop with the common sense!  :bag:  The weather will be a HUGE advantage for the Bills!

851473[/snapback]

Sorry about that, but it's this "reality" thing that I haven't been able to escape for all these years. :huh:

In seriousness, I'm warming to Lori's idea above regarding the wind. This should indeed help our punting game....I'm not so sure it's going to help the FG unit, as THAT'S kicking from a fixed position. Once that ball is snapped, well, that's it. Punters, on the other hand, can move around, angle, change directions.

The wind should be a friggin' eye-opener to Rivers. Per an earlier response to this thread, I did live in San Diego for a couple of years, and it's the most benign climate in the U.S. Barely a breath of wind to riffle the smog. This having been said, it should play into our favor, because while JP is not accustomed to playing in snow THIS YEAR (and, like driving, you need to relearn this skill every winter), he IS accustomed to playing in a setting where the wind knocks the ball around silly-like.

What's it mean? Run, run, run for both teams. Hope the field doesn't get too slick. THAT'S what you want to watch for. Outside sweeps and sharp cutbacks are going to be.......interesting.

Sorry about that, but it's this "reality" thing that I haven't been able to escape for all these years. :bag:

In seriousness, I'm warming to Lori's idea above regarding the wind.  This should indeed help our punting game....I'm not so sure it's going to help the FG unit, as THAT'S kicking from a fixed position.  Once that ball is snapped, well, that's it.  Punters, on the other hand, can move around, angle, change directions.

Not entirely true. The kicker is kicking from a chosen spot (assuming the wind isn't bad enough to affect the snap), and the goalposts are relatively stationary... but once Kaeding stands on that field for the first time in his life, stares directly into a 20mph breeze, and sees the streamers on top of the scoreboard-end posts blowing in different directions, we'll see just how good he is. Lindell, as previously noted, has kicked in RWS often enough to know how the ball is likely to react... and to tell Jauron/April whether or not kicking into the scoreboard end is feasible.

Just checked weather.com; they're currently forecasting 30mph N Friday, 20mph W Saturday, 10mph W Sunday. While the west wind sets up the scoreboard-to-tunnel "windtunnel" effect, 10mph is on the light side. Still, something to keep an eye on...

Sidenote: Joe Namath once went 2-25 in a "wind" game at Rich. Fergy completed exactly ZERO passes that afternoon, but the Bills won. And that game was in SEPTEMBER. Fear the Hawk.

Sidenote: Joe Namath once went 2-25 in a "wind" game at Rich. Fergy completed exactly ZERO passes that afternoon, but the Bills won. And that game was in SEPTEMBER. Fear the Hawk.

851541[/snapback]

Occasionally, a team wins the toss and sacrifices a possession in order to have the wind in their favor in the 4th quarter.

Didn't Bledsoe or somebody on the Bills pick the wrong goal in an OT game? Not sure...

How do you figure that>>???  It dosent snow in Seattle? :bag:  Weather had nothing to do with it. They were both in their "elements".

850668[/snapback]

Normally it does not snow in Seattle. That is a big misconception people have because they think it rains so much it also does snow, when in fact they rarel see snow.

Other than that. The edge as far as weather goes means nothin at all. If thats the case and its windy and nobody can throw the ball the obvious edge goes to San Diego. But if we play like we have lately there is no reason why we should not win this game. If we stop LT and make Rivers beat us that will be our best chance. We alos have to get td's in the red zone no more being conservative and settling for field goals. We have to put up points on these guys.

Whitner and Youboty are Ohio State guys, and Whitner's from Cleveland. Have to figure they've seen snow. (Of course, San Diego also has their share of Big 10 players, including four of five o-line starters and their kicker...)

Ko Simpson (South Carolina) and Kyle Williams(LSU)? Not so much. And hopefully Roscoe is beyond the hiding-when-the-ground-turns-white stage.

Honestly, I'm watching the wind forecast more closely than the temperature. Guarantee Rivers hasn't met anything like the "Hawk", unless NC State happened to play a game during a hurricane while he was there. Bills special teams should have a definite advantage if the breeze picks up >15 mph, because they're familiar with the RWS wind patterns.

851467[/snapback]

Thanks! Lori. :blink:

How many of our rookies have played in cold weather?

Good point cablelady!

Looking at where most of our current starters played in college and the fact that we've hardly had a weather element game in the past two seasons. Are we truly a "cold weather" team right now?