Congratulations Larry Coker, on a great win last

ACor58

not "a coach" "The Coach" Welcome to South Fla, Mr. Spurrier!!!!!

I wasn't as shocked with the firing as I was with the timing. My guess is that the U already has a coach in their sights and wants to move at him sooner rather than later.

846909[/snapback]

Worst kept secret of the year. 

Coker won't be out of coaching long.  As for Miami, I see them going after Greg Schiano of Rutgers.

846916[/snapback]

Schiano is on record as saying he is a Jersey guy and did not want the job, but that was before his squad mailed it in against Cincinatti.

Butch Davis took the Mich St. job and I am sure Spurrier squashed the rumors while coker was still in the job out of professional respect

Not sure how accurate this is, but they say Butch Davis and Steve Spurrier have already turned down the job.

846919[/snapback]

I have mixed emotions about this.  Coker is a classy guy and deserves a better fate. 

846912[/snapback]

He DESERVES to be fired. He should have done the CLASSY thing and stepped down after last season, when his bad recruiting, inability to motivate or be creative began to show. Instead, he axed some assistants to save his job. I knew he sucked, but I thought he'd be a stand-up guy too, until then. But instead he hung around for another year, hired some awful assistants and delayed quality recruiting for another year. You know you are a bad coach when you inherit the premier program in college football, in the best recruiting area in the country, and by the time your recruits take over the program is .500. Pathetic. I will not miss that basset hound looking doofus one bit.

I'd love to see them hire Kragthorpe. He'd be the best hire the U has had since Jimmy Johnson.

Looks like Rutgers coach is the lead guy. Hope you enjoyed chopping wood this season Ed.

847187[/snapback]

For Schiano to take the Miami job would be a step backward.

Miami is not a plum job.

They have horrible facilities, no on-campus stadium. They play in the decrepit orange bowl. Many of the coaches they let go or wiht ties to South Florida are now cherry picking the top talent from Miami under the Hurricanes nose

Schiano has better facitlities at Rutgers and is the only major college football program in the NY area. Not to mention he is treated like a god for bringing back football to NYC.

NO way he goes back to Miami.

The guy that could change the direction in a hurry is Spurrier. they should break the bank to get the BAll Coach.

He DESERVES to be fired.  He should have done the CLASSY thing and stepped down after last season, when his bad recruiting, inability to motivate or be creative began to show.  Instead, he axed some assistants to save his job.  I knew he sucked, but I thought he'd be a stand-up guy too, until then.  But instead he hung around for another year, hired some awful assistants and delayed quality recruiting for another year.  You know you are a bad coach when you inherit the premier program in college football, in the best recruiting area in the country, and by the time your recruits take over the program is .500.  Pathetic.  I will not miss that basset hound looking doofus one bit.

I'd love to see them hire Kragthorpe. He'd be the best hire the U has had since Jimmy Johnson.

847076[/snapback]

If you do not think that he is a classy guy, watch the clip of his press conference on ESPN.com.

By the way, one of the guys he hired was Rich Olson who was a UM offensive coordinator when the Canes won one of their national championships in the early 90's.

As for recruiting, one thing that Coker did was save the recruiting class when Davis left the Canes in a lurch about a week before national signing day. That is one reason Davis had no chance of being re-hired.

It is true that we lost some recruits that we should have had the past couple of years, and I disagree with the firing of Art Kehoe last year. Nevertheless, if Coker is one thing, he is a classy guy. Another thing to keep in mind is that the Canes/Coker lost several players to the NFL. It is tough to rebound when many of your stars leave early for the NFL.

Thats the first time I've heard someone claim that Coker is classy.

Yeah, he was real classy, only suspending his players for a game against Duke after the FIU game earlier this year. :angry:

847209[/snapback]

Your information is incorrect. Reddick was suspended indefinitely and only returned recently. [How many games did the Bills suspend Whitner?]

Further, if you really knew about Coker, you would know that he even suspended the starting RB for missing study hall. Ryan Moore (the Canes best receiver was suspended for the bowl game last year and most of this season). How many LSU players were suspended for swinging helmets at Canes players' heads after the Peach Bowl last year (even though at least one player had to go to the hospital)?