For Those Who Still Have Faith

:D

It must be sad to have such conviction in your negativity.

840580[/snapback]

It's not sad at all, embracing reality is actually quite enlightening. If you want the Bills to continue to piss on your leg and tell you its raining, that is fine, congradulations.

Am I a pro scout or talent evaluator? No. But I have watched a lot of football over the years, as I'm sure we all have. If you want to think that in todays day and age that coaches and GMs are THAT much smarter than you or I, you can. The fact or the matter is I have never seen a 3rd year pro QB play so poorly and ever amount to a hill of beans. If you want Kyle Boller or Joey Harrington as your QB, then fine, you're all set.

Nall is not a starter in this league, if he were good enough to start the coaches wouldn't have him third on the depth chart.

Exactly!! Nall and Holcomb both are career back up QB's. Back up being defined as one who waits for the starter to go down then has an oppertunity to play and does nothing spectacular. We all saw it last year with KH. JP was benched KH comes in and had 1 or 2 nice plays per game but for the most part he was very boring to watch. Sure we won a few with him but I seem to remember a certain game when KH got his bell rung by a KC defender and JP came in and opened up a can.

If you honestly think we would be better off with KH or CN at QB then you may want to think about lining up a bunch of cement mixers in front of them to give them time to check down and throw. If you think JP is bad that would just be a massacre with the current O-line.

JP's play this season has exposed the o-line for what it is. The defense has a harder time getting through airport security to actually get to the game than they do getting to our QB. The coaching staff wanted to keep JP in the pocket and read his defense's He tried that and I don't think even the guy that did the micro-machines commercials in the 80's could read that fast.

I have read that JP is a one read QB.. There is a reason for this. His bad decisions are not all on him. The coaching staff, O-line and his "deep threats" are all as responsible for the poor play of our offense these days as JP. When your QB comes to the line prior to the snap and says to himself this play isn't going to work because I can only get 3 steps into a 5 step drop. I would like to see the o-line give him a good 4 or 5 seconds or so to get into the backfield to start his check down process rather than the average 1.8 or so he has been getting.

Now the chains have come off and the coaching staff has decided to let JP roll out more rather than take a beating we should see the chains move more. Jp is very capable of creating plays with his feet and he can buy himself the time the O-line just cant provide.

I honestly want to know your thoughts. If he gets adequate time behind the line the next 4 weeks and totally stinks up the joint while losing 4 more games, do you still want to keep him in the rest of the season without getting a look at Nall?

Would you at least want to see if Nall does any better so the off season is not a complete question mark again? Again, for those that think something will click in JPs head, what would your boiling point be (if any)? This question could just have easily been directed at the coaching staff.

840267[/snapback]

2 or 3 weeks with Nall behind center would prove absolutely nothing. It takes more than a few weeks to evaluate a QB. Advocates of giving Nall a chance 'to prove himself' in a few weeks are contradicting themselves by allowing Losman to prove it in 12 or 13 weeks. If the results were good or bad, you would not have enough datapoints to draw a proper conclusion. If nall couldn't win the job in camp, what chance does he have on the field? Face the facts...there is not a viable alternative on the bench.

I give him the whole season. Then I ask whether he really sucked or did he look bad because the team was losing and playing poorly around him. There have been games this season where he sucked big time. The Indianapolis game was not one of them. He had a good completion percentage and did not turn the ball over. "But," his detractors say, " he only attempted 12 passes. The coaching staff doesn't trust him." No one has beaten the Colts this season, but the teams that came closest, Denver, Tennessee, and Buffalo are the teams that focussed most on the run and attempted the fewest number of passes. Add to that the fact that Buffalo's line sucks, and the game plan versus Indianapolis was less about not trusting Losman and more about doing what works best against a terrific team. If fans had not already decided they hated Losman before the game, they might actually have been impressed with Fairchild's strategy.

If Losman does not look good the rest of the way and decide to go in a different direction for next year, I'm OK with their decision, but if instead they decide to bolster the offensive line and retain Losman, that does not bother me a bit, except that I'm getting a little tired of all the negative Nancies.

JP has the end of NEXT season to see if he pans out. Then we will know for sure.

840740[/snapback]

I think that JP is showing the promise and progress that he will get the keys to the camper for next season too. I don't think this is decided yet, but is how I feel the next seven games will unfold. This off season can be about addressing other areas on the team especially the trenches and improving other positions where possible. But if JP stinks up the joint over the next seven games and it is clear we can do better with another option this winter, we make that move this off season instead of after 2007.

JP has the end of NEXT season to see if he pans out. Then we will know for sure.

840740[/snapback]

Apparently we already know for sure.....which is such a shame since it means spending high draft picks and at least 3 more years to 'know for sure' if the next guy has 'it'. Unfortunately though, DJ & Co. are not acting like they already 'know for sure' & are obviously wasting valuable development time for the 5th year pro Nall. :lol:

I'm going to renew my JP Losman Bandwagon card for a couple more weeks if Jauron is saying that he's going to turn him loose.

840340[/snapback]

I don't mind seeing him run a bit more, maybe roll out a bit to keep the defense honest, but Losman needs the work in the pocket. Losman was a shotgun QB in college and didn't get a lot of work reading defenses and came in far, far greener than Manning or Rivers and nowhere near the talent of Roethlisberger. He might just as well take his lumps now and hopefully learn how to play the position from the pocket because he already knows how to run. With this cast, running and gunning will mean turnovers, blowout losses and more exposure to injury. I like the post bye-week conservative approach. Protect the football and learn how to get it done in the pocket.

I don't mind seeing him run a bit more, maybe roll out a bit to keep the defense honest, but Losman needs the work in the pocket.  Losman was a shotgun QB  in college and didn't get a lot of work reading defenses and came in far, far greener than Manning or Rivers and nowhere near the talent of Roethlisberger.  He might just as well take his lumps now and hopefully learn how to play the position from the pocket because he already knows how to run.  With this cast, running and gunning will mean turnovers, blowout losses and more exposure to injury.  I like the post bye-week conservative approach.  Protect the football and learn how to get it done in the pocket.

840998[/snapback]

That's been my problem with JP all along. Yes, he''s a great athelete and could improvise in college. But it's his ability to read defenses and learn the NFL game that I have questioned (and he hasn't proved me wrong yet) that I have questioned

Am I a "JP Hater". By TSW standards, yes I am.

But in my defense I didn't like the pick to begin with and he hasn't proven me wrong yet :lol:

Go JP. I hope you prove me wrong.

But if he doesn't don't feel bad when I tell you enablers that I told you so

That's been my problem with JP all along.  Yes, he''s a great athelete and could improvise in college.  But it's his ability to read defenses and learn the NFL game that I have questioned (and he hasn't proved me wrong yet) that I have questioned

Am I a "JP Hater".  By TSW standards, yes I am.

But in my defense I didn't like the pick to begin with and he hasn't proven me wrong yet :lol:

Go JP.  I hope you prove me wrong. 

But if he doesn't don't feel bad when I tell you enablers that I told you so

841050[/snapback]

Well, the enablers are the people working in the front office of OBD and not those who sit in the stands.

If given enough time in all likelihood JP might turn out to be nothing greater than a decent journeyman QB. But because this team is so bereft of talent on the Offensive side of the ball in order to be successful right now it needs a HOF QB ala John Elway, Man Darino, Dan Fouts, or Steve Young to compensate. What it's got is... well let's just say he's something less than that.

Each passing week JP reveals more of himself - which is to say there's less of him left that would demonstrate anything to warrant a belief that he will develop into a top notch NFL QB. Hell, most of us would love to see him take to the field and turn into a HOFer. Those that not so quietly root for his demise are bitter and emotionally twisted.

Marv and Company don't have to justify JP as a pick. If he fails, he'll belong on TD's trash heap of miasma. However, they would have to justify using him beyond this year. So, unless the dood from South California quickly gets his neural synapses firing in order, he's playing himself out of a job come January.

This situation is a little like Chuck Knox kicking Gary Anderson off the team because he didn't have confidence in the rookie and didn't want him to cost his Bills squad a playoff berth. Only the investment that OBD (collectively) has in JP wouldn't allow anything less than a full season of play in the No. 1 QB position. Unfortunately it looks more and more every week like JP is "playing at" being a No 1 QB.

JMHO - NTYA (not that you asked)

840740[/snapback]

I think you have to start him until he has one *full* season behind a *good* offensive line - say, with at least one pro-bowler. That assumes we still have talent at RB and WR too; if not, it wouldn't be fair to judge him.

No matter how much we write...the only way we see Nall is a JP injury..

It would be more productive to ask can JP improve the next seven weeks under far less than optimal circumstances and position himself as a solid number 1 for next year..areas I will look for...

1) Lock On--there are a lot of plays even when he has time where he is locked onto one receiver and never comes off--Evans is the most frequent lock on target...If he did not have such a great arm--this is usually has consequence in INTs...signs of improvement here are more use of the TE and RB

2) Protection of the ball--this has gotten better the last two weeks but the offensive playcalling has been more bland than the pasta in plain butter my 22 month old son loves...can we open up a bit and still avoid the turnovers...

3) Sensing of the rush before the play--I haven't seen him make a hot read in probably 4 weeks---there is just no sense of a blitz or mismatch and an audible...its almost like watching a human sacrifice on a blitz knowing that he won't adjust...Smart QB's do this...QB's that have longevity in the NFL must do this...

If we start to see some of this--he goes into training camp 07 a solid number 1 -- if not more competition is brought in--there is no way he is cut; there is no way he doesn't get a chance to compete no matter how bad the next seven games go...if you want reality--this is it...

No matter how much we write...the only way we see Nall is a JP injury..

It would be more productive to ask can JP improve the next seven weeks under far less than optimal circumstances and position himself as a solid number 1 for next year..areas I will look for...

1) Lock On--there are a lot of plays even when he has time where he is locked onto one receiver and never comes off--Evans is the most frequent lock on target...If he did not have such a great arm--this is usually has consequence in INTs...signs of improvement here are more use of the TE and RB

2) Protection of the ball--this has gotten better the last two weeks but the offensive playcalling has been more bland than the pasta in plain butter my 22 month old son loves...can we open up a bit and still avoid the turnovers...

3) Sensing of the rush before the play--I haven't seen him make a hot read in probably 4 weeks---there is just no sense of a blitz or mismatch and an audible...its almost like watching a human sacrifice on a blitz knowing that he won't adjust...Smart QB's do this...QB's that have longevity in the NFL must do this...

If we start to see some of this--he goes into training camp 07 a solid number 1 -- if not more competition is brought in--there is no way he is cut; there is no way he doesn't get a chance to compete no matter how bad the next seven games go...if you want reality--this is it...

841155[/snapback]

1) Lock on--did a nice job today of finding the secondary receiver--but had more time...B+ on this one

2) Protection of the ball--The Interception was an unforgiveable throw--have to put a sideline pattern up a little taller than that--you want the receiver to be the only one to catch it in that case--close to the goal--all else was pretty darn good though-- B-

3) Sensing the rush--great job on the first TD throw--got rid of it at the last possible millisecond and made the big play; last drive was also impressive--but still not enough use of changing the play-- B

A solid start to the final seven games -- string a couple of these together and Marv and Coach Jauron may cross--"acquire a QB to compete for the starting job" off the off-season list...