Another bad column

RJsackedagain

Take the best QB in NFL history, (you name him) put him behind the current Bills O-line, and watch him turn to crap...just like every single QB we've had in the last ten years. 

We've had a parade of QB's and they all fail.  Is it the QB or the O-line?

PTR

837155[/snapback]

Actually, PTR, you don't have to take the best QB in NFL history to disprove your point. Take Kelly Holcomb, not even a top 200 qb! Last year, behind an offensive line that everyone thought was the worst they had seen (until this years), Holcomb was able to make plays to move the ball with some consistancy, while Losman failed miserably.

Look, we all know the O-line has its' problems, but you are nuts if you think Losman is not adding to their woes. People who are claiming he never has any time to throw, are not watcing objectively. He just can't read defenses fast enough, at this point in his career, behind a mediocre line, to be an effective QB for the Buffalo Bills. You really think Payton Manning would look as ineffective?

I am not even abdicating benching Losman. I am just saying, he is as at leat as much responsible for his play as the O-line is. Its' not his fault, he has a lot to learn. He was a very raw prospect, coming into the leauge. There were only 3 teams that would have likely picked him in the first round. The Bills were one, while Green Bay (knowing he wouldn't play for some time) and Baltimore were the others. Most teams had him projected as a third or fourth round draft pick at best. A lot of the problems JP is having don't seem to have a lot to do with protection, but as much to do with just playing the position at the NFL level. I know, at the risk of an internet crucifixion, JP is still locking onto his receivers, he has little touch on short passes, and is throwing the long ball like he is just as concerened about getting picked off, as he is connecting with his reciever.

I can't think of many O-lines in the NFL that would give him the ideal protection every play, to help him succeed. The Buffalo Bills, right now, are just a bad match for where JP is in his development. Fans are not going to be patient enough to see him evolve, and it is likely no NFL franchise is going to have that kind of patience. It doesn't exist in the NFL anymore. At some point, depsite the suckiness of the team around him, JP has to make some plays. We saw him make one against Green Bay. He has to use theses next 7 weeks to really step it up, or, I am afraid, he won't be starting for the Bills next year. Those are just the harsh realities of pro-sports.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's wrong with the column? Well, you must be happy with crappy QB play in Buffalo then for the past decade.

Quinn is the real deal, not some smuck like Cade McNown, David Klinger or Akili Smith who went high in the draft because he had one good season in college playing in a certain system.

The first thing the Bills offense needs is a QB. ... The Bills got Kelly and built around him. The Bengals got Palmer and are now building around him. The Cowboys got Aikman and built around him. The Colts got Manning and built around him. Yada Yada Yada. ... You don't pass up a franchise quarterback my friend -- EVER!

I've had enough of the crap here like JP, Rob, Drew, Todd, AVP (who is a nice guy and probably a great guy to drink beer with, but not an NFL QB), Billy Joe, Holcomb, Nall, Travis Brown, Mike Cawley, Pete Gonzalez ...... About the only guy who could play since Kelly was the midget Flutie (and I'm not a fan of him but he had game).

A Franchise QB is the Bills top priority!!!!

837150[/snapback]

well done, couldnt agree more.

I don't think there's a single franchise QB in this draft.

Stanton -- Terribly inconsistent. Probably the best tools guy but how can anyone draft him high after this senior season? He's been coached by John L Smith for the past four years!

Brohm (if he comes out) -- Like him, but too injury prone to be a high pick

Russell (if he comes out) -- not mobile, does things too slow, inconsistent in big games, needs a stout line to survive. Incredible gun though.

Troy Smith -- Like him but we got to do a wait-and-see on his height. He might measure in at 5'11" at the combine.

If we use our first round pick on a QB, I'll vomit. If there is no stud offensive lineman, no stud defensive lineman, no stud wideout, and no stud linebacker available, then go QB  :lol:

837145[/snapback]

Go for the best talent available in the 1st round.....Go for OL on 2nd and 3rd round even if they are reaches.

...says the man who won a Super Bowl with third-rounder Jeff Hostetler at QB, then let him walk and subsequently wasted their 1993 first-round pick by drafting Dave Brown in the 1992 supplemental draft...

837859[/snapback]

That is a horrible arguement against my point. If the bills & the giants played 10 times that year the bills would of won 9 of them with their franchise qb.

You cant be serious bringing David Brown into the discusion. If he entered the regular draft, he would of been a 3rd round pick at best.

Yeah, G Young & Ernie Accorsi know a little bit about passing on a franchise Qb. They had a chance to get a guy named John Elway. Dont think they didnt regret that.

Actually, PTR, you don't have to take the best QB in NFL history to disprove your point.  Take Kelly Holcomb, not even a  top 200 qb!  Last year, behind an offensive line that everyone thought was the worst they had seen (until this years), Holcomb was able to make plays to move the ball with some consistancy, while Losman failed miserably. 

Look, we all know the O-line has its' problems, but you are nuts if you think Losman is not adding to their woes.  People who are claiming he never has any time to throw, are not watcing objectively.  He just can't read defenses fast enough, at this point in his career, behind a mediocre line, to be an effective QB for the Buffalo Bills.  You really think Payton Manning would look as ineffective?

I am not even abdicating benching Losman.  I am just saying, he is as at leat as much responsible for his play as the O-line is.  Its' not his fault, he has a lot to learn. He was a very raw prospect, coming into the leauge.  There were only 3 teams that would have likely picked him in the first round.  The Bills were one, while Green Bay (knowing he wouldn't play for some time) and Baltimore were the others.  Most teams had him projected as a third or fourth round draft pick at best.  A lot of the problems JP is having don't seem to have a lot to do with protection, but as much to do with just playing the position at the NFL level.  I know, at the risk of an internet crucifixion, JP is still locking onto his receivers, he has little touch on short passes, and is throwing the long ball like he is just as concerened about getting picked off, as he is connecting with his reciever. 

I can't think of many O-lines in the NFL that would give him the ideal protection every play, to help him succeed.  The Buffalo Bills, right now, are just a bad match for where JP is in his development.  Fans are not going to be patient enough to see him evolve, and it is likely no NFL franchise is going to have that kind of patience.  It doesn't exist in the NFL anymore.  At some point, depsite the suckiness of the team around him, JP has to make some plays.  We saw him make one against Green Bay.  He has to use theses next 7 weeks to really step it up, or, I am afraid, he won't be starting for the Bills next year.  Those are just the harsh realities of pro-sports.

837872[/snapback]

You make some nice points but I just don't see the Bills getting rid of JP before his contract expires. Does that mean they won't draft another QB., not IMO it doesn't.

The point you make about locking onto rec.'s is nonsense, they all lock onto rec.'s, go back and watch the great Brett Farve against the Bills 2 weeks ago, he spent the entire game locking onto rec.'s , by my casual count he dump-off to the backs or T-end 3 times. Picks and tipped balls were all caused by Brett locking onto his rec.'s........Knowing, and inticipating the exact moment to throw the ball and where to place it, is much more important than not locking on, the primary reciever.

Whats wrong with the column? Or are you being sarcastic. Seems like the guys got a pretty good handle on the deal.

837146[/snapback]

Exactly...I think the reporter is absolutely dead on. We can have a real break next year...watching Brady Quinn get knocked on his ass instead of JP Losman. Maybe we can draft another qb the year after that!!! :lol:

It seemed to workout alright for San Diego.

837742[/snapback]

But the football gods don't like the Bills; just our luck JP plays good, get hurt and resigns and plays like a top 5 QB; maybe for the Dolphins or Pats while Quinn comes in and plays like Todd Collins!

Why is Quinn a franchise QB though?  I don't think he is, and at least one ND fan on here (Bart) has commented that he wouldn't take Quinn high in the first round.  I'd like to hear from other ND fans as well.  I just don't think he's accurate enough and as Badol pointed out above, he's very shaky under pressure.

My favorite QB prospect this year (for the draft value) is actually John Beck from BYU.  You can probably pick him in the third round because he's only 6'2" but he has an absolute gun, is deadly accurate, and makes quick decisions.  Best arm strength in the draft, I think.  Gotta see how he plays at Utah (their huge rivalry game) and in their bowl game.  If he tears it up in those two games, I think he's the guy I would want the Bills to draft (if they were going to draft a QB at all).  He's a much better value than Quinn, who is not a guaranteed stud to be worth taking top 10.

837861[/snapback]

This John Beck guy sounds a lot like JP Losman from Tulane! He was considered to have the strongest arm and the fastest QB in his draft class as well but played at a smaller school. I agree with Quinn; he is no more a guarntee than the next 1st rnd QB bust. The only difference between Quin and JP is that the fans and media will have more patience with his development since he played at Notre Dame. If you want a perfect example look at Matt Leinart.

Knowing, and inticipating the exact moment to throw the ball and where to place it, is much more important than not locking on, the primary reciever.

838098[/snapback]

It may be important, but locking on, making it obvious from the snap of the ball where the pass is going, does not make it any easier for receivers to get open. Good QB's (think Manning, Brady) will throw the defensive coverage off, from time to time, just by moving their eyes, even away from the guy they intend to throw too...it makes it easier for the receiver to seperate from the coverage.

That's right, so for every GM that picked Manning and Palmer, another picked Leaf and Smith. The problem is you don't know whish list Quinn will end up on and don't tell me how he's the real deal, cause you really have no idea just like the rest of us. If you really knew, you'd be working for an NFL front office.

You got a 50/50 shot at being right, infact probably less than 50/50 as more big name stars seem to fail than sucede. Even Brady NE was lucky on more than anything. If they had any idea he was going to be even half as good as he turned out, they would have drafted him alot earlier rahter thna risk losing him to another team.

and so was Ryan Leaf...and Jeff George...and Todd Blackledge...and Tony Eason...and......

Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer, Troy Aikman, .....

837314[/snapback]

That is a horrible arguement against my point.  If the bills & the giants played 10 times that year the bills would of won 9 of them with their franchise qb.

You cant be serious bringing David Brown into the discusion.  If he entered the regular draft, he would of been a 3rd round pick at best. 

Yeah, G Young & Ernie Accorsi know a little bit about passing on a franchise Qb.  They had a chance to get a guy named John Elway.  Dont think they didnt regret that.

837926[/snapback]

Third round at best, perhaps, but they blew a first-rounder to get him because they panicked after they dumped Hoss and Simms faded out. The point is valid.

Young didn't have a chance to draft Elway; Baltimore's 0-8-1 record locked up the #1 pick. Accorsi DID draft Elway for Baltimore, then walked away from the Colts when Irsay traded him to Denver. Young had nothing to do with it.

Third round at best, perhaps, but they blew a first-rounder to get him because they panicked after they dumped Hoss and Simms faded out. The point is valid.

Young didn't have a chance to draft Elway; Baltimore's 0-8-1 record locked up the #1 pick. Accorsi DID draft Elway for Baltimore, then walked away from the Colts when Irsay traded him to Denver. Young had nothing to do with it.

838483[/snapback]

Your right, my fault.

I knew accorsi was the gm that was involved in the trade though. Thanks for the correction.