Another bad column

RJsackedagain

If this has been posted already I apologize, but I have to wonder how this moron is allowed to keep his job at the News. ... If the name Brady Quinn is on the draft board and the Bills pass him by I might seriously disown the team after 30 years of blood, sweat and tears

By BOB DICESARE

Fast food for thought . . .

There's a chance Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn will be available when the Buffalo Bills are on the clock in this year's NFL draft. Same goes for Ohio State's Troy Smith, and Louisville's Brian Brohm.

Here's five words of advice for the Bills: Don't even think about it.

I don't see J.P. Losman becoming the quarterback former General Manager Tom Donahoe envisioned when he paid a premium to execute the reach in the 2004 draft. Losman's lack of pocket presence is disturbing. His field vision remains inadequate. The extent to which the coaches steered away from the pass in Sunday's loss at Indianapolis amounted to a vote of no confidence, an acknowledgment that his decision-making is lacking when under duress.

Nonetheless, the Bills have to develop an offensive line before they consider going the quarterback route again early in the draft. Shore up the team's biggest weakness and maybe Losman graduates to another level of competency. Fortify the pass protection and perhaps he starts to click. But even if Losman remains stagnant, bolstering the line would position the Bills to plug a functional quarterback in his place. It's a functional Steve McNair who's going to get Baltimore into the playoffs this season.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20061...?tbd1026222.asp

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we use our first round pick on a QB, I'll vomit. If there is no stud offensive lineman, no stud defensive lineman, no stud wideout, and no stud linebacker available, then go QB :blink:

Whats wrong with the column? Or are you being sarcastic. Seems like the guys got a pretty good handle on the deal.

837146[/snapback]

What's wrong with the column? Well, you must be happy with crappy QB play in Buffalo then for the past decade.

Quinn is the real deal, not some smuck like Cade McNown, David Klinger or Akili Smith who went high in the draft because he had one good season in college playing in a certain system.

The first thing the Bills offense needs is a QB. ... The Bills got Kelly and built around him. The Bengals got Palmer and are now building around him. The Cowboys got Aikman and built around him. The Colts got Manning and built around him. Yada Yada Yada. ... You don't pass up a franchise quarterback my friend -- EVER!

I've had enough of the crap here like JP, Rob, Drew, Todd, AVP (who is a nice guy and probably a great guy to drink beer with, but not an NFL QB), Billy Joe, Holcomb, Nall, Travis Brown, Mike Cawley, Pete Gonzalez ...... About the only guy who could play since Kelly was the midget Flutie (and I'm not a fan of him but he had game).

A Franchise QB is the Bills top priority!!!!

A football team can not win without a good proven quaterback. I still do not think JP can be that guy with a good o-line. Brady Brady Brady

837149[/snapback]

Take the best QB in NFL history, (you name him) put him behind the current Bills O-line, and watch him turn to crap...just like every single QB we've had in the last ten years.

We've had a parade of QB's and they all fail. Is it the QB or the O-line?

PTR

:blink:

Quinn is the real deal...

837150[/snapback]

Hahahaha! I see this every year. Every college QB with gaudy stats is the next franchise QB. Meanwhile, some guy you never heard of gets drafted in the 6th round (Tom Brady) and becomes a three-time Super Bowl MVP.

I think if you look at the drafts you'll see the there are more unheralded college QB's who succeed at the NFL level than guys who come out of the hype machine, like Quinn and Leinert.

I'm not saying the Bills shouldn't draft a QB. Just don't assume when you draft the kid everyone is hyping that you picked a winner...especially if he's gona play behind our O-line!!! :D:D

PTR

Quinn is the real deal, not some smuck like Cade McNown, David Klinger or Akili Smith who went high in the draft because he had one good season in college playing in a certain system.

How do you know? What did he do for ND pre-Weis? How is he better than Brohm from Louisville? Break it down for me.

Take the best QB in NFL history, (you name him) put him behind the current Bills O-line, and watch him turn to crap...just like every single QB we've had in the last ten years. 

We've had a parade of QB's and they all fail.  Is it the QB or the O-line?

PTR

837155[/snapback]

If we can somehow parley our high first round pick(personally I cant see us winning any more than 6 games at most. Not sure where that will put us in the rotation) into a couple of solid OLinemen, drafted or aquired, im for that. Let someone else have the high profile qb.

PTR

837155[/snapback]

Actually both. .... Again, I hate to defend Flutie here, but he did a good job behind a rotten o-line. As for the rest of the guys since Kelly, they're all subpar QBs playing behind subpar linemen. You put Manning behind the Bills line, I think they'd at least be .500 this season.

PTR

837155[/snapback]

Can you imagine Troy Aikmen behind our line? That guys was accurate as hell as he should have been. Behind that line even JP's stats would be above average(I like to think :blink: ), and thats the point. I really dont think Troy was anything special back there. No he didnt suck. But he didnt have a gun like Fouts or a quick release like Marino. Was lead footed. He was just smart and did what he was allowed to do. Forget how many Super Bowls he won. Three?

How do you know?  What did he do for ND pre-Weis?  How is he better than Brohm from Louisville?  Break it down for me.

837158[/snapback]

Have you watched Notre Dame play this year? They don't have a load of talent on either side of the ball yet they seem to be doing rather well because they have a qb who knows what he's doing - sacked 26 times, but has 29 TDs and four picks on the year.

You can argue that Quinn is doing well because of a system, but Charlie Weiss' system revolves around the quarterback as the key piece to the puzzle. Quinn has size, a good arm, he's accurate, he knows how to make good decisions and he's a winner. You think ND has only one loss this season if he wasn't the QB?

Brohm, haven't seen enough of him, but Louisville did well without him in the lineup this year and he looked a little rattled the second half against Rutgers.

Have you watched Notre Dame play this year? They don't have a load of talent on either side of the ball yet they seem to be doing rather well because they have a qb who knows what he's doing - sacked 26 times, but has 29 TDs and four picks on the year.

You can argue that Quinn is doing well because of a system, but Charlie Weiss' system revolves around the quarterback as the key piece to the puzzle. Quinn has size, a good arm, he's accurate, he knows how to make good decisions and he's a winner. You think ND has only one loss this season if he wasn't the QB?

837177[/snapback]

college vs NFL

Brohm, haven't seen enough of him, but Louisville did well without him in the lineup this year and he looked a little rattled the second half against Rutgers.

I know ND has a couple All America candidates. Pre-Weis Quinn did not do much. With Weis he was very good last year. This year, he seems to have done OK.

How will his game translate to the NFL? What is his arm strength? Speed, cause he's gonna need it with our OL? How about his intelligence and reading defenses?

You think Wayne would be a star without Harrison around??

837179[/snapback]

Im not sure. I know both can catch. Both have speed. Both have a knack or skill to get separation. They dont drop balls. I might ask the question. Would Harrison be as good without Wayne at this point?

I know ND has a couple All America candidates.  Pre-Weis Quinn did not do much.  With Weis he was very good last year.  This year, he seems to have done OK. 

How will his game translate to the NFL?  What is his arm strength?  Speed, cause he's gonna need it with our OL?  How about his intelligence and reading defenses?

837190[/snapback]

Would you have passed on Peyton Manning or Carson Palmer for a lineman then??

Quinn runs a pro offense at ND, he seems to be nimble and spreads the ball all over the field - near and far. Obviously, the one thing nobody can tell you is how he handles the speed of the NFL game since he's not played a game yet. ... Quinn played decent for a true freshman under Coach Willingham

If this has been posted already I apologize, but I have to wonder how this moron is allowed to keep his job at the News. ... If the name Brady Quinn is on the draft board and the Bills pass him by I might seriously disown the team after 30 years of blood, sweat and tears

837140[/snapback]

Brady Quinn looked awful early in the season when the Irish were having a hard time protecting him and he isn't very accurate. Not saying he won't be a good player eventually, but if the Bills are going to invest large in another young QB, let it be one of those guys who isn't easily rattled and who gets the ball out quickly and accurately. Those guys are very rare. Otherwise build an offensive line and then get a quarterback. That opens up you up to a lot more QB possibilities.