Has anyone been watching the JETS games this year?

I havent ... has anyone on this board watched most of their games? If so, what is their story? They have a "smart" QB, but also little to no running game, and the 2nd worse (total) defense in the league. What is their story? They are 5-4 and they also lost a close game to the Colts (31-28). Did a new coach really change them that much?

the story for jets is the effiency of their offense. Pennington makes smart reads, and gets the ball out quick. He doesn't spread the ball around as much as he used to, but I attribute that more to lack of talent around him, but he works well with what he has. The jets also have more of a run game then people realize. While not great it's actually better then their pass offense. 5th in rushing attempts 15th in yards, and 10th in rushing tds. Schottenheimer keeps them in manageable situations and keeps games close enough where pennington isn't forced to try to push the ball down the field. There worst game was against the jags otherwise their avg margin of wins has been 5.6pts and avg margin of losses has been 14.5 not counting the jags it drops down to 5.6pts. They play it tight to the vest, with controlled game plan and decent but far from great offense.

the story for jets is the effiency of their offense. Pennington makes smart reads, and gets the ball out quick.  He doesn't spread the ball around as much as he used to, but I attribute that more to lack of talent around him, but he works well with what he has.  The jets also have more of a run game then people realize. While not great it's actually better then their pass offense. 5th in rushing attempts 15th in yards, and 10th in rushing tds.    Schottenheimer keeps them in manageable situations and keeps games close enough where pennington isn't forced to try to push the ball down the field. There worst game was against the jags otherwise their avg margin of wins has been  5.6pts and avg margin of losses has been 14.5 not counting the jags it drops down to 5.6pts. They play it tight to the vest, with controlled game plan and decent but far from great offense.

836245[/snapback]

That settles it, we MUST trade for Pennington now!

I've watched EVERY Jets game, since I am a Jets fan...And yes, you are correct, the coaching has a TON to do with their success. Here is what I am getting out of the Jets season so far:

- They are smart on offense and only getting better every week. Their running game is coming along now that they have found the "Thunder and Lightning", if you will, in Barlow and Washington.

- They are getting production from all but 1 guy from their draft this last year. Ferguson has played great, and Mangold has played like a Pro Bowl vet. Leon Washington has been the biggest surprise and has sparked a running game that was non-existant for most of the first half of the year.

- It doesn't hurt when you have a KR man that is putting you, at average, your own 35-40 yard line EVERY TIME.

- The defense has had a new identity in the last 5 quarters. Starting at the end of the Browns game, the defense has shown a ton of different looks and has seemed to confuse both Frye and Brady.

This team is a scary team, because they are so young, and have so much talent on both sides of the ball. They need a real big NT for their 3-4, and could really use an every down RB, but they have been really solid this year. Not to mention that their coach and front office is one of the smartest in the league. The "Tangini" duo have come up with a system, and the team is buying into it.

The even scarier part is, the Jets are 1 really, really, really bad call away from being tied with NE for the division lead (I am referring to the Chris Baker TD in the closing seconds of the Cleveland game. Baker made the catch at least 1 yard inside the pyon, and was pushed out in the air. The play was ruled no catch, out of bounds, and since it was a judgement call, thus non-reviewable.) If the Jets play like they did against NE against Chicago at home this week, they have a great shot to win that game. Chances are, they will lose, but I see them gaining a LOT of respect in this game.

I've watched EVERY Jets game, since I am a Jets fan...And yes, you are correct, the coaching has a TON to do with their success.  Here is what I am getting out of the Jets season so far:

- They are smart on offense and only getting better every week.  Their running game is coming along now that they have found the "Thunder and Lightning", if you will, in Barlow and Washington.

- They are getting production from all but 1 guy from their draft this last year.  Ferguson has played great, and Mangold has played like a Pro Bowl vet.  Leon Washington has been the biggest surprise and has sparked a running game that was non-existant for most of the first half of the year.

- It doesn't hurt when you have a KR man that is putting you, at average, your own 35-40 yard line EVERY TIME.

- The defense has had a new identity in the last 5 quarters.  Starting at the end of the Browns game, the defense has shown a ton of different looks and has seemed to confuse both Frye and Brady.

This team is a scary team, because they are so young, and have so much talent on both sides of the ball.  They need a real big NT for their 3-4, and could really use an every down RB, but they have been really solid this year.  Not to mention that their coach and front office is one of the smartest in the league.  The "Tangini" duo have come up with a system, and the team is buying into it.

The even scarier part is, the Jets are 1 really, really, really bad call away from being tied with NE for the division lead (I am referring to the Chris Baker TD in the closing seconds of the Cleveland game.  Baker made the catch at least 1 yard inside the pyon, and was pushed out in the air.  The play was ruled no catch, out of bounds, and since it was a judgement call, thus non-reviewable.)  If the Jets play like they did against NE against Chicago at home this week, they have a great shot to win that game.  Chances are, they will lose, but I see them gaining a LOT of respect in this game.

836352[/snapback]

Give me a break, they dont have so much talent on each side of the ball. What they have is very good coach, a qb that knows how to manage a game & decent special teams. What that will get you is 8-9 wins & probably just on the outside looking in for the last wild card. If you think your overtaking New England you are dillusional. The jets are no better then the bills expect for one thing, they have a qb that could manage a game.

Just look at the Jets draft this pasat year. In the 1st round, they selected Ferguson and Mangold. Seymore and WIlfork were held to 5 tackles between the two of them on Sunday. They also selected Washington who has provided spark for them. Couple their draft pick's production with the Mangina, you have a team that overachieves.

the story for jets is the effiency of their offense. Pennington makes smart reads, and gets the ball out quick.  He doesn't spread the ball around as much as he used to, but I attribute that more to lack of talent around him, but he works well with what he has.  The jets also have more of a run game then people realize. While not great it's actually better then their pass offense. 5th in rushing attempts 15th in yards, and 10th in rushing tds.    Schottenheimer keeps them in manageable situations and keeps games close enough where pennington isn't forced to try to push the ball down the field. There worst game was against the jags otherwise their avg margin of wins has been  5.6pts and avg margin of losses has been 14.5 not counting the jags it drops down to 5.6pts. They play it tight to the vest, with controlled game plan and decent but far from great offense.

836245[/snapback]

Good summary. I've seen several Jets games this year and the story is they get the most out of the players they have. I'd say Mangini is doing an excellent job.

Give me a break, they dont have so much talent on each side of the ball.  What they have is very good coach, a qb that knows how to manage a game & decent special teams.  What that will get you is 8-9 wins & probably just on the outside looking in for the last wild card.  If you think your overtaking New England you are dillusional.  The jets are no better then the bills expect for one thing, they have a qb that could manage a game.

836416[/snapback]

Good summary.  I've seen several Jets games this year and the story is they get the most out of the players they have.  I'd say Mangini is doing an excellent job.

836438[/snapback]

Im really starting to think that we should just go after a Patriot assistant if Jauron ends up not working out ...

KC and CHI dont think Miami is a crap team.  :blink:

836234[/snapback]

I think it depends on when they played Miami....Miami was bad in the 1st 8 weeks of the season....If the Jets won against them in those weeks, then it was a win against a CRAP team.

I havent ... has anyone on this board watched most of their games? If so, what is their story? They have a "smart" QB, but also little to no running game, and the 2nd worse (total) defense in the league. What is their story? They are 5-4 and they also lost a close game to the Colts (31-28). Did a new coach really change them that much?

836221[/snapback]

You forgot to mention, thaty they actual have talent on the OL.....They must be thanking their stars that Trey Teague broke his arm during pre-season and that paved the way for Mangold to play.....Pennington would be on his back on the turf more often if Teague was their center.

836221[/snapback]

I unfortunately live in Jets country down here and have seen most of their games this season. ... Two things the Jets have going for them are:

1. A smart head coach. Mangini might have man boobs, but he knows how to run a football team. The Jets play hard, don't make stupid penalties and can adjust to the opposition during a game.

2. The have a veteran QB who might not have the best arm, but he makes good decisions and usually takes care of the football.