don't look now, but ...

dave mcbride

they've got three relatively weak opponents: houston on the road, tennessee at home in december, and miami at home in december. they also play jax -- not a great team by any stretch -- at home in what will very likely be bad weather. i can easily see them winning all of those games. on the other hand, i can't see them winning at the meadowlands, baltimore, or at home against the chargers.

say what you will about the bills, but they play hard and are pretty well coached given the talent issues. it is conceivable that they'll end up 7-9, which is most of us hoped for at the beginning of the season. that's what i've been hoping for all along, and it's within reach. aside from mcgahee, they're in pretty good shape injury wise, especially on defense. that's more than can be said for a lot of their upcoming opponents ...

they've got three relatively weak opponents: houston on the road, tennessee at home in december, and miami at home in december.

Dude... have you been on Mars? We're pretty pathetic at 3-6. This team's got nothing. If Houston can take out Jax, Fins take out the Bears, they can do the same to the Bills...and the Titans can certainly ruin Christmas.

they've got three relatively weak opponents: houston on the road, tennessee at home in december, and miami at home in december.  they also play jax -- not a great team by any stretch -- at home in what will very likely be bad weather. i can easily see them winning all of those games. on the other hand, i can't see them winning at the meadowlands, baltimore, or at home against the chargers.

say what you will about the bills, but they play hard and are pretty well coached given the talent issues.  it is conceivable that they'll end up 7-9, which is most of us hoped for at the beginning of the season. that's what i've been hoping for all along, and it's within reach. aside from mcgahee, they're in pretty good shape injury wise, especially on defense. that's more than can be said for a lot of their upcoming opponents ...

835302[/snapback]

I understand, and a appreciate your optimism. I have really tried hard to see things this way...however, all of my optimisitic prognostications are predicated on the fact that the Bills playing to the best of their perceived capabilities. They have rarely done that the last few years.

I suppose it is possible, given the shcizophranic nature of the NFL this year (parity?) the Bills could eek out a 7-9 season (I was predicting 5-11), but, the way they have played, I can't really see this as being something that would give us a lot of hope for something much better next season. I can take the losses, but I am disturbed by the fact that there is not one area of this team that really seems to be improving. I fear we are just going to be left with more questions again, this offseason.

Personally, and much to my dismay, I think Miami will be playing a lot better the second half of the season...and I honestly think Houston and Tennessee play a lot harder than the Bills on a weekly basis. Not saying none of these games are winnable, but the Bills have to play a lot better than they have, to beat them. I don't think they are that much better than any of these teams.

Dude... have you been on Mars?  We're pretty pathetic at 3-6.  This team's got nothing. If Houston can take out Jax, Fins take out the Bears, they can do the same to the Bills...and  the Titans can certainly ruin Christmas.

835327[/snapback]

if you were a fin of miami, houston, etc., you'd be saying exactly the same thing and predicting losses to a bills team that just beat a decent pack team by 2 scores and almost beat the undefeated colts on the road. the bills hardly the only substandard team in the nfl.

I understand, and a appreciate your optimism.  I have really tried hard to see things this way...however, all of my optimisitic prognostications are predicated on the fact that the Bills playing to the best of their perceived capabilities.  They have rarely done that the last few years. 

I suppose it is possible, given the shcizophranic nature of the NFL this year (parity?) the Bills could eek out a 7-9 season (I was predicting 5-11), but, the way they have played, I can't really see this as being something that would give us a lot of hope for something much better next season.  I can take the losses, but I am disturbed by the fact that there is not one area of this team that really seems to be improving.  I fear we are just going to be left with more questions again, this offseason.

Personally, and much to my dismay, I think Miami will be playing a lot better the second half of the season...and I honestly think Houston and Tennessee play a lot harder than the Bills on a weekly basis.  Not saying none of these games are winnable, but the Bills have to play a lot better than they have, to beat them.  I don't think they are that much better than any of these teams.

835347[/snapback]

i really think the bills have played better and smarter in the last two games. yes, the passing game is abysmal, but the running game is really clicking. as well, they've stopped giving up big plays in the passing game, the return game has kicked into gear, they're forcing turnovers, and they're not giving up the ball.

they've got three relatively weak opponents: houston on the road, tennessee at home in december, and miami at home in december.  they also play jax -- not a great team by any stretch -- at home in what will very likely be bad weather. i can easily see them winning all of those games. on the other hand, i can't see them winning at the meadowlands, baltimore, or at home against the chargers.

say what you will about the bills, but they play hard and are pretty well coached given the talent issues.  it is conceivable that they'll end up 7-9, which is most of us hoped for at the beginning of the season. that's what i've been hoping for all along, and it's within reach. aside from mcgahee, they're in pretty good shape injury wise, especially on defense. that's more than can be said for a lot of their upcoming opponents ...

835302[/snapback]

you are out of your mind. I want some of what you are smoking!!!

you are out of your mind. I want some of what you are smoking!!!

835423[/snapback]

i'm not smoking anything. what i can say is that the bills are playing harder this year than they played last year, they're better coached, and that there are a lot of bad teams in the league who the bills are capable of beating.

if you were a fin of miami, houston, etc., you'd be saying exactly the same thing and predicting losses to a bills team that just beat a decent pack team by 2 scores and almost beat the undefeated colts on the road. the bills hardly the only substandard team in the nfl.

835391[/snapback]

If I'm a Texans fan, I'm pretty sure I'd be somewhat satisfied having beat the Jags twice in three weeks. If I'm a Miami fan, I'm pretty sure I'd be somewhat satisfied having beat the Bears and Chiefs. If I'm either of those, I'm not scared one bit of Buffalo (especially with this offense) who ALMOST beat the Colts.

If I'm a Texans fan, I'm pretty sure I'd be somewhat satisfied having beat the Jags twice in three weeks.  If I'm a Miami fan, I'm pretty sure I'd be somewhat satisfied having beat the Bears and Chiefs.  If I'm either of those, I'm not scared one bit of Buffalo (especially with this offense) who ALMOST beat the Colts.

835440[/snapback]

well, the bills crushed miami in miami earlier this year, so there are clearly some matchup issues for the phins (and it wasn't all daunte culpepper). also, the bills annihilated the texans last year with many of the same players. the point is that these are winnable games if the bills can avoid turnovers.

i really think the bills have played better and smarter in the last two games. yes, the passing game is abysmal, but the running game is really clicking. as well, they've stopped giving up big plays in the passing game, the return game has kicked into gear, they're forcing turnovers, and they're not giving up the ball.

835396[/snapback]

Yeah, maybe you are right...they have improved a little against the pass, but despite the win at Green Bay, and the turnovers caused by the defense (or was it Brett Favre?) they really got shredded by the Packers passing game.

Yesterday, against the Colts, I honestly had the feeling that the Colts were holding back a little, because they could. If Lindell had made that kick with six minutes left, I would bet my life that Manning would have driven them down for a touchdown pretty quick. It seemed like the Colts were determined to practice their running game on the Bills, and they were pretty successful at it. They averaged, I belive 5.5 yards a carry against us.

It is great to get turnovers, and I won't minimize how much they, and the special teams have meant for the Bills, but you just can't win games, consistantly, depending on big kick returns and turnovers.

Whatever happens, I will be at the Texans game this Sunday, I just pray the Bills show up. :blink:

This team is just awful.

AVP could suit up and play a better game than JPL.

The OLine is terrible. They display a limited ability to run block but they have no ability to pass protect.

The WRs (with the possible exception of Lee Evans) can't get open and the only thing our TEs can do consistently is commit penalties on third down.

The D is improved but it's hardly dominant.

Special Teams are a bright spot but it is hardly a comfort to know that the best player on the team is a punter.

With all that said I cannot see how this team can win another game. Houston, Tenn, the fins and the Jets are perfectly capable of shutting down this putrid O.

3 points and a competent D is all you need to beat the Bills.

Its time to burn down the barn and kill the rats. They may as well lose out and land the best OT, DT in the next draft.

and after next weekend, the Bills will have a good chance to go 6-10 or 5-11 or maybe even 4-12 in three weeks--- give it a rest. What you should be hoping for is a good draft pick....

835520[/snapback]

hoping for a good draft pick is a loser's strategy. ask the cardinals. bad teams generally stay bad. the bengals had lottery picks every year, and it took them over a dozen years to put together a winning season. drafting 11th or 12th puts you in a good spot to land a blue chip player.

as for the bills this year, i tend to like it better when they win. call me crazy.

With all that said I cannot see how this team can win another game.  Houston, Tenn, the fins and the Jets are perfectly capable of shutting down this putrid O.

3 points and a competent D is all you need to beat the Bills.

835512[/snapback]

The Jets had some problems shutting down the same putrid offence earlier this year when losman and McGahee put up career numbers against them, why can't it happen again. The Dolphins have already lost to the Bills earlier this year at home, now they travel to Buffalo in December, a time where they usually fade away. Houston has played well, but they are still beatable, along with Tenessee that has played mediocre at best.

You also need a good offence to beat the Bills. They made Favre look worse then a rookie and held the Colts to 17 points and kept the game close all day.

drafting 11th or 12th puts you in a good spot to land a blue chip player.

as for the bills this year, i tend to like it better when they win. call me crazy.

835529[/snapback]

Drafting 13th cost us a shot at Ben Roethlisberger...

835302[/snapback]

You are dreaming Mcbride if you think this team has a shot at 7-9. This is the most pathetic offense I've ever seen. Not to mention Booooooooring!!! 5 and 11 is more like it.