This is not what being a Bills fan is about

duey

Since 1989, including pre-season, play-off games and 1 Super Bowl....the count is 56 home games and 19 away games.

:P

ps but I'm only referring to altercations that take place where I can actually see them.

821899[/snapback]

I've been going to Bills games since 1971. Have no idea how many I have been to, but I RARELY see fights. Yea, maybe one or two in the stands now and then, but can tell you have seen a lot more nasty fights in bars than I have at the Ralph. On the rare times I have seen fights, most guys are so drunk kinda funny watching em trying to keep their balance while they swinging, plus they are generally so out of shape they get pooped really quick.

Anyway, for all those folks who say they would never take their kid to game, I feel bad for the kids. Took my 7 and 5 year old last, and they had a blast. 99% of people in the stands understand when a wee one is there, they may forget every once in a while, but mostly they will try to control their emotions appropriately.

And yep, there is that 1% chance either one or a group of aholes will be sitting near you. But dam, guess theres about a 1% chance the Ralph could sell out of beer at game, but I still go :doh:

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been going to Bills games since 1971. Have no idea how many I have been to, but I RARELY see fights. Yea, maybe one or two in the stands now and then, but can tell you have seen a lot more nasty fights in bars than I have at the Ralph. On the rare times I have seen fights, most guys are so drunk kinda funny watching em trying to keep their balance while they swinging, plus they are generally so out of shape they get pooped really quick.

Anyway, for all those folks who say they would never take their kid to game, I feel bad for the kids. Took my 7 and 5 year old last, and they had a blast. 99% of people in the stands understand when a wee one is there, they may forget every once in a while, but mostly they will try to control their emotions appropriately.

And yep, there is that 1% chance either one or a group of aholes will be sitting near you. But dam, guess theres about a 1% chance the Ralph could sell out of beer at game, but I still go :P

822199[/snapback]

We actually agree on this issue more than disagree, but a few points worthy of note:

(a) I have seen worse fights at a bar also or at underground fight clubs as well. But then again, those are not purported to be family friendly. Like, ugh, well an NFL game.

(b) RARELY seen fights in the stands? Huh, I wonder why if fighting is so rare in the stands during a game, that RWS would emply 700 yellow jacketed security who suddenly become real popular and real active from late third quarter to the end of the game. Ask anyone of them and I am sure the words RARELY and FIGHTS and RWS are not uttered in the same breath.

© Parking lot violence even more rare? Geesh, I guess the mounted police that patrol the lots are just good will ambassadors?

(d) Taking kids to a game - there is no way the drunk 20 something crowd would simmer down upon looking at my kids after a vulgar laced diatribe. Yet, I would predict they would keep it up all game, but add a "sorry man" after each one. Kind of like a consistent pardon. Are you saying their behavior would change upon seeing children? Because in a similar conversation on this forum last year, some people told me RWS was not for kids? So which is it?

Bottom line, RWS is a microcosm of absolutely nothing aside from maybe the community it resides in. It is certainly not representative of all NFL stadiums game day, that you can be sure.

Bottom line, RWS is a microcosm of absolutely nothing aside from maybe the community it resides in.  It is certainly not representative of all NFL stadiums game day, that you can be sure.

822681[/snapback]

Sorry Mark, but I still have an issue with the above. :angry:

I am sure that many stadiums are worse. Oakland and Cleveland quickly come to mind. I told my story about a jest game. Do you remember when Giant fans pelted the Chargers with iceballs, and an assistant coach was injured pretty bad?

I am not saying that I think you are totally wrong. I just think that RWS is as much a microcosm of going to an NFL game as it is to the reigon of WNY. There is at least one person in this thread who seems to be appalled at the thought of any rowdiness under any conditions. Avoiding football game would seem to be a wise choice if a person does feel this way.

Some may not like it (I am not referring to you), but going to an NFL Football Game can be a pretty wild time. I don't condone violence, but attending a football game at RWS is not the same as going to a PETA convention.

I for one am glad. :P

Nah...his wife woulda kicked the sh-- outa those guys! :angry:

822885[/snapback]

The Herald photographer clearly photoshopped the Bruins jerseys off of them, and replaced the front of Sullivan's Tap with a pic of a church. I'm surprised she put down her Marlboro 100 long enough to take the shot.

"Hey Taw-mee, kick his ass!"

The Herald photographer clearly photoshopped the Bruins jerseys off of them, and replaced the front of Sullivan's Tap with a pic of a church.  I'm surprised she put down her Marlboro 100 long enough to take the shot.

"Hey Taw-mee, kick his ass!"

822893[/snapback]

:angry: LMAO!!!

(Don't be tellin' me Sully's Tap is still there??? :P )

And yep, there is that 1% chance either one or a group of aholes will be sitting near you. But dam, guess theres about a 1% chance the Ralph could sell out of beer at game, but I still go :angry:

822199[/snapback]

I agree with alot of this......BUT......

You rarely see fights in the stands? Who are you trying to kid? Actually, this year has been pretty good, but in the past few years....especially when the Bills are out of playoff contention, the fights in the stands, especially the scorebaord endzone happen about 4-5 per quarter sometimes.

There are always fights in the stands......anyone who goes to games knows this.

I agree with alot of this......BUT......

You rarely see fights in the stands?  Who are you trying to kid?  Actually, this year has been pretty good, but in the past few years....especially when the Bills are out of playoff contention, the fights in the stands, especially the scorebaord endzone happen about 4-5 per quarter sometimes.

There are always fights in the stands......anyone who goes to games knows this.

822932[/snapback]

I agree...I normally go to at least one home game a year, on trips back for the holidays, and can honestly say, the boozing and brawling situation gets noticably worse each year.

Back in 2000 (or maybe 1999), I went to see the Chargers-Bills game at the Ralph, with my brother and two of my brother in-laws. It was hideous! My one brother-in law, is a photographer, and not much of an American football fan (he is from Austrailia). He sent me a huge, framed photo, his impression of the Bills/Chargers game. It was of a bunch of yellow-ponchod security guards wrestling some obnoxious drunk to the ground. We were in the upper decks, so perhaps this is a more "low-rent" section. All I can say, it was hard to watch the game, because there was so much of this nonsense going on the entire time...it was a perfect illustration of a varitiation of the old hockey joke "I went to a fight, and a football game broke out!" The Bills won that day...I wonder how much worse it might have been, had they lost.

I had season tickets from 1980-1988, and you definitely saw this kind of boorish behavior then, but now, it is more the norm. Maybe I am just getting old, but, unlike before, I would have to think twice about taking a girl, or children to the games these days. It's a shame too. Going to Bills games as a kid is still one of my greatest childhood memories.

I also wonder what lot was he in? Some of the private lots also have port-a-potties. That could explain the lack of police if it was not on a stadium lot.

821873[/snapback]

Clearly your "Blue Coatism" is taking over even thinking that this could happen in a "Private Lot". Lack of Police, why would a property owner allow a beat down and open themselves to a lawsuit? Private Lots are safer than the stadium lot based on what I see and read in the local rag.

From the rag, An unnamed 30-year old man from Woburn, Mass. was reportedly assulted by a number of fans as he left a portable bathroom at the Stadium. He was treated at Mercy Ambulatory Care Center.

And while park at the Stadium: Ed Larivette reported damage to his car, Kelly Omelia of Troy repoted theft of purse and papers from her car, Nicholas Joseph reported the theft of $2,400 of items including Ipod, Blackberry, CD's, cell phone charger.

Private Lots... nothing.

Other low lights from the Ralph 5 "men" were arrested for public lewdness.

Ages range from 23 to 45

I have no idea if that actually happened the way it was reported, but the photo of the guy and his wife outside a church takes the cake for sensational journalism.  What's up with the low-angle shot?  The pensive look on the wife's face is classic.  Honey, the bad guys are gone...you're safe now.

820963[/snapback]

Agreed. There is no excuse for this kind of behavior, but this is only one side of the story...this guy could have been running his mouth and asking for it. Not that that justifies a fight, but the couple probably aren't little angels as the article suggests.

Notice how in both articles, they just had to get in the fact that the Pats Destroyed the Bills on the field. Just had to get that jab in, as if the outcome of the game is relevant at all to this story. That's their (writer +/- couple) mentality subtly showing thru, which is suspicious in its own right.

If the beating was as one sided as the church going Bostonian angel portrays then the Bills mob deserves stiff punishment.  I find that possible but unlikely.  I am sure there were plenty of outrageously obnoxious Pats fans roaming around.  Why pick on one guy innocently using a port o john? 

821851[/snapback]

Because he was the weakest or appeared to be the weakest? Isn't that how bullies work? :w00t::D:D

Ya, you can argue he appears to be a pretty big guy...

And I can't say that I never seen trouble personally... Back in 1989 at the Bills-Browns playoff game in Cleveland was brutal... Yet, you just walk away... That was probably the closest I came to being personally involved in a stadium fight... And that was more less a dispute between my ex-girlfriend and a Kosar loving Cleveland slut that almost brought that particular section of Municipal Stadium down... :D:w00t:

If what this guys says is true... He somehow must have appeared weak to the mob?... Maybe it was the pregnant wife?

Living in Boston, the first thought that popped into my mind was that his wife probably started it.  Those Southy broads are tough.

822811[/snapback]

Where do you get they are from Southy?... They said that the guy is from Woburn...

Isn't Woburn a suburb to the NW of Boston?... I got some family in Reading (actually my brother-in law was born in Woburn... He is the one that thinks WNY is a remote frontier town... :w00t: ), which is little bit further north... That area struck me nothing like you described... Like trying to compare South Chicago to Addison then on to Barrington, IL...

My take South Chicago is like Southy... A world all its own... Whereas Addison is more like Woburn and from what I have seen, Reading is kinda posh like Barrington, IL... Just my take about the classes...

:D:w00t: