Tolls removed from Niagara Thruway

http://www.wben.com/news/fullstory.php?newsid=06123

Why we should be happy, if you scroll down the article you will read:

The plan was worked out after it was agreed to use $14 million in pork barrel funds from the state Senate to cover the loss of a year's worth of toll collections at the two toll barriers. :devil:

820507[/snapback]

They had it on the news here in Syracuse tonight, even mentioned it was to help get people re-elected. Since the $14M is for one year, are they going to bring tolls back after the year is up?

I heard they are permanent. Can you imagine the uproar if they reintroduced the tolls a year later? :devil:

The next step is to take Grand Island, move the Williamsville toll back past Transit and push the S Towns toll past Hamburg.

Here in Illinois... The Illinois Tollway has been paid for 1,000 times over... The problem here is in the Tollway's constitution (circa 1955 or so) as long as they run a deficit and keep laying concrete, they can keep on charging tolls on the older roads... Hence, I-355 is being pushed far west/southwest of the city (Joliet).

:devil::(

They had it on the news here in Syracuse tonight, even mentioned it was to help get people re-elected. Since the $14M is for one year, are they going to bring tolls back after the year is up?

820606[/snapback]

The toll removal will be permanent. There is some downstate road that has been maintained with Thruway funds of about $14 million annually. They are moving maintenance of that road to either the Feds or some other entity to free up the permanent $14 million.

Now if only they would move the Lackawanna toll barrier to Angola.

The toll removal will be permanent.  There is some downstate road that has been maintained with Thruway funds of about $14 million annually.  They are moving maintenance of that road to either the Feds or some other entity to free up the permanent $14 million.

Now if only they would move the Lackawanna toll barrier to Angola.

820674[/snapback]

The feds!

Where are they gonna get the dough from?... You know, you will have people hear scream' bloody murder!

:devil::(

Any one go through the Ogden barrier this morning? It was backed up on to the overpass over the I90. This was like 7:40am. I believe they had only 3-4 lanes total open so as to slow people down. NYS Thruway logic. Remember when EZ-Pass was 5 mph, with 4 lanes. Then it went to 20mph to so call speed it up, but cut the lanes to 3, and half the people were still slowing to 5. So it actually made it worse. I also noticed this morning that everyone was still trying to get to the EZ-Pass lanes when you could go through any lane. Still, with what 7-8 lanes, they only have half open

You know you could see more traffic too now that the cheap people who wouldn't pay $.75, will all take the Thruway and slow it up on the way downtown

You know you could see more traffic too now that the cheap people who wouldn't pay $.75, will all take the Thruway and slow it up on the way downtown

821225[/snapback]

Are you suggesting they should keep the toll to ensure a better flow of traffic? :pirate: Or are you an elitist who enjoys extra priveledges? :devil:

No your not

Did anyone join in the Shredd and Reagan Parade through the tolls yesterday?

821255[/snapback]

97Rock had something this morning at the Ogden exit. Your toll money, $.75, got you coffee, doughnut, and newspaper to celebrate the closing of the tolls.

Are you suggesting they should keep the toll to ensure a better flow of traffic?  :pirate:  Or are you an elitist who enjoys extra priveledges?  :D

821260[/snapback]

$.75/day makes me an elitist???? :devil:

I'd pay $.75 if I could go 70 all the way from W Seneca to downtown without stopping or slowing

Any one go through the Ogden barrier this morning?  It was backed up on to the overpass over the I90.  This was like 7:40am.  I believe they had only 3-4 lanes total open so as to slow people down.  NYS Thruway logic.  Remember when EZ-Pass was 5 mph, with 4 lanes.  Then it went to 20mph to so call speed it up, but cut the lanes to 3, and half the people were still slowing to 5.  So it actually made it worse.  I also noticed this morning that everyone was still trying to get to the EZ-Pass lanes when you could go through any lane.  Still, with what 7-8 lanes, they only have half open

821225[/snapback]

Now that EZ-Pass and I-Pass (Illinois) have an argeement (yes, you can use either or in NYS/IL) why don't they do what they are doing in Illinois... That is in IL they have I-Pass Express... They are starting to add them all over... That means you can fly through the 4 lanes at 55 mph... All others get hustled over, the one's with cash only get a minimum number of lanes and they have to pay double the toll...

The way they work the lanes in NYS for EZ-Pass... I could never figure out the benefit to having one... You are usually stuck behind a car in a manual lane... EZ-Pass lanes should garner the prime lanes with the greater number of lanes...

Now that EZ-Pass and I-Pass (Illinois) have an argeement (yes, you can use either or in NYS/IL) why don't they do what they are doing in Illinois...  That is in IL they have I-Pass Express... They are starting to add them all over... That means you can fly through the 4 lanes at 55 mph... All others get hustled over, the one's with cash only get a minimum number of lanes and they have to pay double the toll...

The way they work the lanes in NYS for EZ-Pass... I could never figure out the benefit to having one... You are usually stuck behind a car in a manual lane... EZ-Pass lanes should garner the prime lanes with the greater number of lanes...

821414[/snapback]

They keep talking about upping the speed limit in some areas for EZ Pass here in NY. One exit in Syracuse has a lane that's now 20mph, and I know of some down around NYC that are 35-40mph. Setting the 5mph limit is more of a safety factor for the toll collectors that sometimes have to walk between booths.

True story - Years ago I got stuck on the thruway in stopped traffic at the 390 exit in Rochester during rush hour. Turns out a truck driver had run over a toll collector who did not look when she was crossing between booths. It was her first day back after a vacation, so they figured she simply forgot to look. And the truck driver didn't realized what he had done, until some people flagged him down and he stopped.

They keep talking about upping the speed limit in some areas for EZ Pass here in NY. One exit in Syracuse has a lane that's now 20mph, and I know of some down around NYC that are 35-40mph. Setting the 5mph limit is more of a safety factor for the toll collectors that sometimes have to walk between booths.

True story - Years ago I got stuck on the thruway in stopped traffic at the 390 exit in Rochester during rush hour. Turns out a truck driver had run over a toll collector who did not look when she was crossing between booths. It was her first day back after a vacation, so they figured she simply forgot to look. And the truck driver didn't realized what he had done, until some people flagged him down and he stopped.

821451[/snapback]

The I-Pass Express lanes are not even near any other lanes... Basically they hustle the manual payers over and sorta off why the I-Pass/EZ-Pass person sails by at 55-65 miles an hour in 3-4 or so lanes that is just like the rest of the road...

Lights and cameras on a overhead truss-work take your picture and deduct the toll...

Eventually, most of the ones on I-294 will have them... If they don't they have the ones where you can go through at 30...

Workers aren't even close and have nothing to do with it in the middle of the road...

My take is the NYS Thruway workers are holding it up...

Now I can't wait for them to get Ohio and Indianna Turnpikes on board... I called them and they are trying to work out a deal...

My take is the NYS Thruway workers are holding it up...

821480[/snapback]

I know a guy that used to work in the union office for the Thruway workers, he was not allowed to have an EZ-Pass because that would be taking away work from the union members. (He also wasn't supposed to shop at WalMart either) As soon as he left that job, he got an EZ-Pass.

I know a guy that used to work in the union office for the Thruway workers, he was not allowed to have an EZ-Pass because that would be taking away work from the union members. (He also wasn't supposed to shop at WalMart either) As soon as he left that job, he got an EZ-Pass.

821507[/snapback]

I wish there were no tolls... The thing about EZ-Pass is that it makes it easier to collect your toll and raise them to.

I just have to trust that we won't get screwed that way because the tangable bennys of not having to wait in line, waste fuel (that you are taxed on to begin with), and not having to pay double the original toll (in IL, cash customers pay double the toll... They never raised the tolls just doubled them for non I-pass/EPass people)...

:pirate: