Music thread

IBTG81

I have a very diverse taste

Barenaked ladies, Beck, Billy Idol, Blink 182, Bayside, Brand New, beetles, Coldplay, Coltrane, Dashboard Confessional, Deftones, Disturbed, Dr. Dre, Eminem, Everclear, Finch, FLoggin Molly, foo figthers, goo goo dolls, green day, GNR, Hendrix,  Incubus, Jack's Mannequin, Jack Johnson, John Mayer, Killers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Matt Nathanson, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, Our Lady Peace, Panic! At the Disco, Papa Roach, Powerman 5000, Rise Against, Something Corporate, Sugarcult, System of A Down, Taking Back Sunday, Tom Petty, U2, Unwritten Law, the Used, Weezer, and Weird Al

and I probably forgot a few more

817453[/snapback]

I like a bit out of each but there are very few artists that could make me listen to a whole album.

I have a very diverse taste

Barenaked ladies, Beck, Billy Idol, Blink 182, Bayside, Brand New, beetles, Coldplay, Coltrane, Dashboard Confessional, Deftones, Disturbed, Dr. Dre, Eminem, Everclear, Finch, FLoggin Molly, foo figthers, goo goo dolls, green day, GNR, Hendrix,  Incubus, Jack's Mannequin, Jack Johnson, John Mayer, Killers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Matt Nathanson, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, Our Lady Peace, Panic! At the Disco, Papa Roach, Powerman 5000, Rise Against, Something Corporate, Sugarcult, System of A Down, Taking Back Sunday, Tom Petty, U2, Unwritten Law, the Used, Weezer, and Weird Al

and I probably forgot a few more

817453[/snapback]

Nice to see Billy Idol gettin' some love....that guy could ROCK! Weird Al, too :doh:

I'll forget more than I list probably but:

Phish

Pink Floyd

Bruce Cockburn

John Scofield

Herbie Hancock

The Beatles

Madeski Martin and Wood

Steely Dan

The Allman Brothers

Tori Amos

Fiona Apple

The Doors

The Stones

Led Zeppelin

Bob Marley

Ziggy Marley

Metallica

Maiden (the old stuff)

Miles Davis

Bela Fleck

Genesis (old school version)

Santana

Jimi Hendrix

Crosby Stills and Nash

Neil Young

Steve Kimock

Dave Matthews Band

Nobody said Pavement yet, so I'm saying Pavement...

Pavement

Also, The Butthole Surfers.

And The New York Dolls, Richard Hell, The Dictators, Velvet Underground, Lou Reed

And Charles Mingus, Gerry Mulligan, Duke and Wes Montgomery

And The Kinks (holy crap! how come nobody ever mentions The Kinks?)

And Dylan and the Stones and The Beatles

Marvin Gaye, James Brown, Solomon Burke, Curtis Mayfield

Captain Beefheart. David Bowie. Leonard Cohen

Luna. M. Ward. Tom Waits. Ween. AC Newman. Built To Spill. Belle and Sebastian. Jesus & Mary Chain. The Silver Jews! Arcade Fire. The Shins.

Alice Cooper.

Echoing: Modest Mouse, Dinosaur Jr, Miles, Coltrane, Monk, The Flaming Lips, Lemonheads, Hendrix, Pink Floyd, The Smiths, Nick Drake, Elliott Smith, The Stooges, Al Green

Nobody said Pavement yet, so I'm saying Pavement...

Pavement

Also, The Butthole Surfers.

And The New York Dolls, Richard Hell, The Dictators, Velvet Underground, Lou Reed

And Charles Mingus, Gerry Mulligan, Duke and Wes Montgomery

And The Kinks (holy crap!  how come nobody ever mentions The Kinks?)

And Dylan and the Stones and The Beatles

Marvin Gaye, James Brown, Solomon Burke, Curtis Mayfield

Captain Beefheart.  David Bowie.  Leonard Cohen

Luna.  M. Ward.  Tom Waits.  Ween.  AC Newman.  Built To Spill.  Belle and Sebastian.  Jesus & Mary Chain.  The Silver Jews!  Arcade Fire.  The Shins.

Alice Cooper.

Echoing:  Modest Mouse, Dinosaur Jr, Miles, Coltrane, Monk, The Flaming Lips, Lemonheads, Hendrix, Pink Floyd, The Smiths, Nick Drake, Elliott Smith, The Stooges, Al Green

817580[/snapback]

Gringo, you got good taste. I probably tend more towards free jazz than the West Coast dudes, but good stuff, all of it. Tom Waits' new material sounds excellent.

I will throw in there: Fela Kuti (the African James Brown, for lack of a better description) and Centro-Matic (I liken them to Sparklehorse, Guided By Voices, and Uncle Tupelo -- favorably).

Nice to see Billy Idol gettin' some love....that guy could ROCK!  Weird Al, too  <_<

817499[/snapback]

Yeah i actually saw billy idol last year in buffalo at the pier for edge fest. I have to say that he was freaking amazing. also, i got shoved up to the front by shorter, smaller people so i got front row for billy, and caught a drum stick that he signed. On that drum stick, it sez in print "abused by Billy Idol , and has his signature, the location, and the date.

Three pages to the thread and my favorite band wasn't mentioned?! I guess I'm an odd ball.

Counting Crows.

Lots of good bands and good songs out there, but that's my Favorite. Band. Ever.

817811[/snapback]

already mentioned- great band!

Hmm... Lets see what i can come up with in no particular order

Billy Joel

Bob Segar

Johnny Cash

Christopher Wallace (Notorious BIG)

Our Lady of Peace

The Killers

The Rolling Stones

Project Pat

Papa Roach

Rob Zombie

Steve Miller Band

Odis Redding

The Fray

The Doors

Tom Petty

Lamont Coleman (Big L)

Older 3 6 Mafia

ACDC

Barenaked Ladies

Aerosmith

Bob Dylan

Blink 182

Lasale Parrish Crooks (2pac Shakur)

Bruce Sprinstein

Corey Miller (C-Murder)

Counting Crows

Dave Matthews Band

Dr Dre

The Eagles

Elvis Presley

Eric Clapton

Fats Domino

Goo Goo Dolls

Ice Cube

Greatful Dead

Jimmy Buffet

My Chemical Romance

The All American Rejects

That's pretty much what i listen to regularly, there's some other stuff that i listen to on occassion but i decided to leave them out to keep the list kind of short.

I don't mind a little classical every now and again. Can only stand one country song, i'll give someone 20 internet bucks if they can guess it.

All time favorites:

Jane's Addiction

Pixies

Radiohead

At The Drive In

Public Enemy

Bad Religion

Neil Young (Solo and with his various groups)

The White Stripes

Newer stuff I'm currently into:

Jet (I've been listening to Get Born and Shine On over and over again for weeks, really good stuff)

Disturbed

My Chemical Romance

817453[/snapback]

Hell yeah! November 21st can't come soon enough. The new Brand New single, Sowing Season, is here.

I put the other ones I like in red. I saw Weird Al live when I was a kid.

I also like Jay-Z and Ludacris (or as I call him "Luda"). Country music mostly sucks but I like Sara Evans and Miranda Lambert (and Hank Williams Jr. who I also saw in concert at Darien Lake when I was younger).

And for the hell of it, the song "Take Control" by Bobby Brown (yes, from the Ghostbusters II soundtrack) is one of the greatest songs ever, along with "If it isn't love" by New Edition.

Oh, and Mandy Moore too. She has a voice like an angel. :lol:

Hell yeah!  November 21st can't come soon enough.  The new Brand New single, Sowing Season, is here. 

I put the other ones I like in red.  I saw Weird Al live when I was a kid.

I also like Jay-Z and Ludacris (or as I call him "Luda").  Country music mostly sucks but I like Sara Evans and Miranda Lambert (and Hank Williams Jr. who I also saw in concert at Darien Lake when I was younger).

And for the hell of it, the song "Take Control" by Bobby Brown (yes, from the Ghostbusters II soundtrack) is one of the greatest songs ever, along with "If it isn't love" by New Edition.

Oh, and Mandy Moore too.  She has a voice like an angel.  :P

818560[/snapback]

sweet brand new is awesome, i love how they get the harmonies into their songs that is rare to see in today's music.

I have seen Luda, not too impressed w/ him live, and Jigga would be something awesome to see perform.

and oh yea, mandy moore's voice is only matched by her hotness. 0:)

Hell yeah!  November 21st can't come soon enough.  The new Brand New single, Sowing Season, is here. 

I put the other ones I like in red.  I saw Weird Al live when I was a kid.

I also like Jay-Z and Ludacris (or as I call him "Luda").  Country music mostly sucks but I like Sara Evans and Miranda Lambert (and Hank Williams Jr. who I also saw in concert at Darien Lake when I was younger).

Oh, and Mandy Moore too.  She has a voice like an angel.  :P

818560[/snapback]

I dont know if you know, but the lead singer of Brand New and Adam Lazzara (lead singer of TBS) were best friends before their bands got even remotely popular ... then their was a fall-out and later Brand New wrote a song "70 x 7" which is about Adam and TBS wrote a song "Theres no I in team" which is about Brand News singer.

I dont know if you know, but the lead singer of Brand New and Adam Lazzara (lead singer of TBS) were best friends before their bands got even remotely popular ... then their was a fall-out and later Brand New wrote a song "70 x 7" which is about Adam and TBS wrote a song "Theres no I in team" which is about Brand News singer.

818710[/snapback]

Yes, that's pretty legendary in all the background stuff about BN, although the story has pretty much nothing to do with Adam Lazzara. Back when all that happened John Nolan was the lead guitar and brains behind TBS, as well as the best friend of Brand New's lead singer, Jesse Lacey. Unfortunately, Nolan decided to screw around with Lacey's girlfriend and "Seventy Times 7" was written as a big FU from Lacey to Nolan. "There's No I in Team" was written as an "Oh yeah, well FU right back" from Nolan to Lacey. At some point they made up and even performed the second song together (it's on YouTube somewhere).

Then not long after that, Nolan left TBS because Lazzara was dating and cheating on his sister, Michele Nolan (who also appeared on the first TBS album). So John Nolan and Michele Nolan and the original TBS bass player all left to form the band Straylight Run. TBS looked like it was dead in the water without Nolan to write the lyrics but they found two new guys, Fred and Matt, and are probably better than they ever were.

Way back in the day, before any of these bands had albums, Jesse Lacey also played bass for TBS. So, in a way, Taking Back Sunday spawned lead singers for three different bands: Taking Back Sunday, Brand New, and Straylight Run, of which BN is the best.

All this crap happened before I owned any of these albums.

Yes, that's pretty legendary in all the background stuff about BN, although the story has pretty much nothing to do with Adam Lazzara.  Back when all that happened John Nolan was the lead guitar and brains behind TBS, as well as the best friend of Brand New's lead singer, Jesse Lacey.  Unfortunately, Nolan decided to screw around with Lacey's girlfriend and "Seventy Times 7" was written as a big FU from Lacey to Nolan.  "There's No I in Team" was written as an "Oh yeah, well FU right back" from Nolan to Lacey.  At some point they made up and even performed the second song together (it's on YouTube somewhere).

Then not long after that, Nolan left TBS because Lazzara was dating and cheating on his sister, Michele Nolan (who also appeared on the first TBS album).  So John Nolan and Michele Nolan and the original TBS bass player all left to form the band Straylight Run.  TBS looked like it was dead in the water without Nolan to write the lyrics but they found two new guys, Fred and Matt, and are probably better than they ever were.

Way back in the day, before any of these bands had albums, Jesse Lacey also played bass for TBS.  So, in a way, Taking Back Sunday spawned lead singers for three different bands: Taking Back Sunday, Brand New, and Straylight Run, of which BN is the best.

All this crap happened before I owned any of these albums.

818737[/snapback]

Ugg ... Nolan is who I meant. Sorry.

Although I cant agree that BN is the best. I think TBS is the best of the 3.

Way back in the day, before any of these bands had albums, Jesse Lacey also played bass for TBS.  So, in a way, Taking Back Sunday spawned lead singers for three different bands: Taking Back Sunday, Brand New, and Straylight Run, of which BN is the best.

818737[/snapback]

A guy I worked with for awhile produced some Straylight Run material. He was always raving about them -- I actually never heard them. Any good?

A guy I worked with for awhile produced some Straylight Run material.  He was always raving about them -- I actually never heard them.  Any good?

819500[/snapback]

They're OK. I could see some people really liking them but they're not for me. The first song I ever heard from them was called "Existentialism on Prom Night" which pretty much clues you in to how they sound. They seem to take themselves REALLY seriously. The songs I've heard are all pretty slow and they seem to be going for melancholy, sad, or depressing a lot.

I think a lot of their hype is because people hold John Nolan in really high regard for the stuff he did with Taking Back Sunday in their first years and on Tell All Your Friends. A lot of people, IMO, are still pissed at Adam Lazzara for basically breaking up Taking Back Sunday and their last two albums are ranked below TAYF because of that (almost because they have to be without John Nolan there). I was bummed when John Nolan left but, in retrospect, TBS is much better now after they went in a new direction with their new guitar and bass players. More than ever, I'd say TBS kicks ass right now and that has a lot to do with them not singing about how bad everything is all the time. Straylight Run seems really bummed out all the time.

Here are a few songs by SR at their purevolume.com page:

Link

(Man, even their photo makes them look like a college band.)

They're OK.  I could see some people really liking them but they're not for me.  The first song I ever heard from them was called "Existentialism on Prom Night" which pretty much clues you in to how they sound.  They seem to take themselves REALLY seriously.  The songs I've heard are all pretty slow and they seem to be going for melancholy, sad, or depressing a lot. 

I think a lot of their hype is because people hold John Nolan in really high regard for the stuff he did with Taking Back Sunday in their first years and on Tell All Your Friends.  A lot of people, IMO, are still pissed at Adam Lazzara for basically breaking up Taking Back Sunday and their last two albums are ranked below TAYF because of that (almost because they have to be without John Nolan there).  I was bummed when John Nolan left but, in retrospect, TBS is much better now after they went in a new direction with their new guitar and bass players.  More than ever, I'd say TBS kicks ass right now and that has a lot to do with them not singing about how bad everything is all the time.  Straylight Run seems really bummed out all the time.

Here are a few songs by SR at their purevolume.com page:

Link

(Man, even their photo makes them look like a college band.)

819504[/snapback]

Exactly right ...