If the Bills had taken Leinart with that pick ...

If history had been written a little differently this spring ... If the Bills had selected Matt Leinart in the first round ... How many of us on that fateful afternoon would have yelled at the TV, "Morons!!! Idiots! They should've taken Whitner!!!" (*sigh*) It's gotten so bad that ESPN actually had a "news snippet" on SportCenter last night reporting that the Bills were NOT benching Losman. (*sigh*) You couldn't make this stuff up. It reminded me of the time a player held a press conference to declare that hew was NOT gay. If something not happening is "news," then there's something else going on... I am announcing in a televised news conference later today that I am NOT burning the remainder of my season tickets.

If history had been written a little differently this spring ... If the Bills had selected Matt Leinart in the first round ... How many of us on that fateful afternoon would have yelled at the TV, "Morons!!! Idiots! They should've taken Whitner!!!" (*sigh*)

816354[/snapback]

Nobody?

Go back to the archives. Only a few knew that Whitner existed. :lol:

Edit: Maybe we will see ya NEXT year. :lol:

If history had been written a little differently this spring ... If the Bills had selected Matt Leinart in the first round ... How many of us on that fateful afternoon would have yelled at the TV, "Morons!!! Idiots! They should've taken Whitner!!!" (*sigh*) It's gotten so bad that ESPN actually had a "news snippet" on SportCenter last night reporting that the Bills were NOT benching Losman. (*sigh*) You couldn't make this stuff up. It reminded me of the time a player held a press conference to declare that hew was NOT gay. If something not happening is "news," then there's something else going on... I am announcing in a televised news conference later today that I am NOT burning the remainder of my season tickets.

816354[/snapback]

You can insert as many bloody QB's till you piss yourself happy but that isn't going to cover up the real problems with this team, friend. If you didn't get to see the Dallas game, you ought to ask somebody who did after they benched Drew and how much better the QB was.

It's time to stop turning a blind eye to what is afflicting this team and I hope Marv is watching college ball games to find men up front who have talent AND heart. Enough of the b.s. we've had to put up with this past decade.

Seriously, Peyton wouldn't leave this season alive if he had the bums blocking that we do.

And the lack of a run game is also why we can't pass the ball much. Again, the "offensive" line.

After the Jets game -- and watching Leinart (rather than JP) toss those light throws into the wind -- we'd be saying that the front office should have never bothered with this noodle-armed QB.

That's exactly why they had Cutler rated as their #1 QB on the draft board. Thus, Leinart was NEVER an option, even if the front office entertained the notion of drafting a QB at all.

Nobody?

816355[/snapback]

I don't remember reading anyone posting that they even knew who Whitner was before we drafted him.

The only disappointment I felt on draft day was that we weren't able to trade down (i.e. find someone else who wanted to trade up to get Leinart), and even that disappointment did not last long when I examined our draft as a whole.

BTW, Losman is NOT what is wrong with the Bills.

The only disappointment I felt on draft day was that we weren't able to trade down (i.e. find someone else who wanted to trade up to get Leinart), and even that disappointment did not last long when I examined our draft as a whole.

816771[/snapback]

Levy stated on Sirius Radio that he had multiple trade offers, including more than just a 2nd from Denver to swap picks.

No, he was hell bent on taking Whitner, and of course a dozen more defensive backs.

Levy stated on Sirius Radio that he had multiple trade offers, including more than just a 2nd from Denver to swap picks.

No, he was hell bent on taking Whitner, and of course a dozen more defensive backs.

816785[/snapback]

Did Marv really confirm that? I thought it was only reported from the Denver side. But man, if true... here's what we could've done.

1.15 Davin Joseph

1.26 Nick Mangold

2.29 Charles Spencer (injured now, but a great prospect)

3.6 Ashton Youboty

4.8 Ko Simpson

5.1 Kyle Williams

5.8 DE Mark Anderson / DT Anthony Montgomery (now with no need for Brad Butler)

6.9 Keith Ellison

7.8 DT Rodrique Wright (now with no need for Pennington)

7.40 Marques Colston (now with no need for Merz... cheating here, of course, since nobody knew about Colston... but all the other "replacements" people knew about it)

Offensive line: Peters-Gandy-Mangold-Joseph-Spencer

That line pretty much dominates physically for the next decade. JP looks much better. Willis rushes for 1800 next season.

Sigh.

Its ALL about the trenches. Lienart, Cutler, Young...hell...kelly Unitas or Montana and we'd still be pretty much where we are now. If we had a good free agent signing on the line, and one or two real gems from the draft on the line? We would probably be 5-2 (one loss to New England and of course a loss to Chicago-they really do have quite a team!)...quarterback may or may not be a problem, and we'll never know until we have an offensive line.

Its ALL about the trenches.  Lienart, Cutler, Young...hell...kelly Unitas or Montana and we'd still be pretty much where we are now.  If we had a good free agent signing on the line, and one or two real gems from the draft on the line?  We would probably be 5-2 (one loss to New England and of course a loss to Chicago-they really do have quite a team!)...quarterback may or may not be a problem, and we'll never know until we have an offensive line.

817037[/snapback]

???--yours is the most nonsensical post i have heard in ages. Do you actually watch JP play??

It's gotten so bad that ESPN actually had a "news snippet" on SportCenter last night reporting that the Bills were NOT benching Losman. It reminded me of the time a player held a press conference to declare that hew was NOT gay.

816354[/snapback]

You may have hit the magic potion. If all else fails, I think JP needs to let the public know what his deal is, and then maybe he will stop rambling in press conferences, trying to find himself. I mean, they guy said he was devistated about the storm because he bought his house for the beautiful trees that changed colors...and now they were gone. HELLO!!!! 25 Yr Old Male Buys House for Pretty Trees.

Closet cleaning may be our only hope.

If Marv had chosen Leinart, he would have been lynched by the anti Rob Johnson fans who can't turn the page on him. Leinart would never have received a fair shake because he is from Southern California, laid back, took Ball Room Dancing his senior year, probably likes to surf, went to USC, doesn't sport a brush cut, so he must be another Rob Johnson. JP is from Southern California so he's another Rob Johnson. One fan called WGR the other day and ripped JP because he looked "de-sheveled" on the sidelines because his hair was messed up and he hadn't shaved that day.

Yeah--but with one less major HOLE to fill.Theyd only have to fix the D & O lines then

They'd need a SS. And saying that Leinart would have led the Bills to no better a record is NOT me praising him. For a QB who was a star in THE premier college program the past 4-5 years, his play has been pretty bad, outside of the 1st quarter when you can script things (remember the Bills last year scoring TD's on their first drive 11 of the 16 games?).

816354[/snapback]

I wouldnt have yelled as much as I did for not trading down with Denver

816354[/snapback]

none

Did Marv really confirm that?  I thought it was only reported from the Denver side.  But man, if true... here's what we could've done.

1.15  Davin Joseph

1.26  Nick Mangold

2.29  Charles Spencer (injured now, but a great prospect)

3.6    Ashton Youboty

4.8    Ko Simpson

5.1    Kyle Williams

5.8    DE Mark Anderson / DT Anthony Montgomery (now with no need for Brad Butler)

6.9    Keith Ellison

7.8    DT Rodrique Wright (now with no need for Pennington)

7.40  Marques Colston (now with no need for Merz... cheating here, of course, since nobody knew about Colston... but all the other "replacements" people knew about it)

Offensive line:  Peters-Gandy-Mangold-Joseph-Spencer

That line pretty much dominates physically for the next decade.  JP looks much better.  Willis rushes for 1800 next season.

Sigh.

817011[/snapback]

I would think if we focused so much on the OL there would have been an outcry about the lack of DT talent(which was a glaring need) drafted....boy, Marv would have been ripped for 'reaching' for Joseph there. If we take your list though & keep McCargo instead of Mangold....

it pretty much becomes a swap of Whitner for Joseph & Spencer.

Will Whitner be worth it? Time will tell how all these guys pan out.

My personal view on the draft tends towards placing a greater importance on the chance of success/ready to play aspects. Since Whitner was considered one of the most ready to play(& therefore less bust-likely) of the draft class, I can appreciate the safety in the pick(excuse the pun). Even if the upside of the player is perhaps not as high(though who can tell that either?), I'd rather a player who you are 90% sure will pan out to a player who is a 50% chance with a greater upside.....or 2 players who are 50% & 35%(just chucking figures around there :lol: )

All that said, If we had drafted as you suggested I wouldn't have been upset either.