toilet running

diver

Two toilets in my house started to run. In the middle of the night the toilet runs for about 5 to 10 seconds to fill up tank I guess. Just started this within the last month. Strange that two different toilets would do this. Received notice from water company this past summer something about water pressure change may cause this. Is there any minor adjustments I can make or what should I check. I can find no leaks. Just runs for about 5 seconds several times in the day and night. Maybe a few hours apart.

Thanks for the help its driving me crazy

Two toilets in my house started to run.  In the middle of the night the toilet runs for about 5 to 10 seconds to fill up tank I guess.  Just started this within the last month.  Strange that two different toilets would do this.  Received notice from water company this past summer something about water pressure change may cause this.  Is there any minor adjustments I can make or what should I check.  I can find no leaks.  Just runs for about 5 seconds several times in the day and night.  Maybe a few hours apart.

Thanks for the help its driving me crazy

809404[/snapback]

Go to Home Depot. Buy a new fill valve and flapper. Turn the water to the tank off and flush to drain. Take out the old fill valve and flapper. Replace and refill the tank. So easy a caveman could do it...

Go to Home Depot. Buy a new fill valve and flapper. Turn the water to the tank off and flush to drain. Take out the old fill valve and flapper. Replace and refill the tank. So easy a caveman could do it...

809408[/snapback]

Oops! Ah well, click the link for plumbing, toilet repair and go from there. There are like 7 bucks...

It could be as simple as getting two of these.

Look in the tank and see if you have something like that at the end of the chain. These things is made of rubbah and the water eats away at 'em. That might be why you suddenly have two failing at the same time - they're submerged in the same kind of water and the material is corroding.

If you've got more moving parts rotting out, then you might be faced with a mid-sized repair job, and you might have to replace the fill valve, flapper and tank lever. :unsure:

Or, for a stunning weekend of pure home repair pleasure you could try this for a Humungous repair

Good luck, and don't forget to wash your hands when you're done.

It could be as simple as getting two of these.

Look in the tank and see if you have something like that at the end of the chain. These things is made of rubbah and the water eats away at 'em. That might be why you suddenly have two failing at the same time - they're submerged in the same kind of water and the material is corroding.

If you've got more moving parts rotting out, then you might be faced with a mid-sized repair job, and you might have to replace the fill valve, flapper and tank lever.  :unsure:

Or, for a stunning weekend of pure home repair pleasure you could try this for a Humungous repair

Good luck, and don't forget to wash your hands when you're done.

809484[/snapback]

It;s not THAT bad of a job. Unless you cant get to the terlet because you have a tiny bathroom like mine...

It;s not THAT bad of a job. Unless you cant get to the terlet because you have a tiny bathroom like mine...

809496[/snapback]

Yeah, I know. I've done a bunch of these over the years and what usually gets me is the THIRD trip to the hardware store on a Sunday morning! :unsure: