Hate to rain on peoples parade here

Tcali

..but the Bills came within an eyelash of blowing a game they controlled again because of ZERO killer instinct / the inability to do anything offensively in the second half of the game,and the general lack of pass pressure/rush when it really counts. Johnson had all day to throw even when we knew he had to throw.

JP played well--but he hasnt shown the ability tp put anyone away yet.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

..but the Bills came within an eyelash of blowing a game they controlled again because of ZERO killer instinct / the inability to do anything offensively in the second half of the game,and the general lack of pass pressure/rush when it really counts. Johnson had all day to throw even when we knew he had to throw.

JP played  well--but he hasnt shown the ability tp put anyone away yet.

792271[/snapback]

don't confuse the bills with being a good team - they aren't. they're surpringly (in a good way) ok, and improving. they're not in the business of putting people away yet, so expect a team that always loses its nails when it comes within spitting distance of a coffin.

don't confuse the bills with being a good team - they aren't. they're surpringly (in a good way) ok, and improving. they're not in the business of putting people away yet, so expect a team that always loses its nails when it comes within spitting distance of a coffin.

792273[/snapback]

Good point.

Good point.

792275[/snapback]

with all due respect, i don't buy that. when we had the chance, we softened in the redzone and played for a FG......we could have easily run some clock and taken this team to being ultra desperate instead of being semi-desperate.... a huge difference because the Vikes actually had a good chace to beat us in the 4th.

i thnk the calls were bad enough in the 4th to give the vikes a chance.

I was not overly impressed with that. But I am happy!!!!

Go Bills, but please improve the killer instinct. this young team needs it.

I'm not saying the Bills are amazing, or even necessarily a playoff caliber team but I think you're shorting them big here. They almost beat the Pats on the road in the season opener, lost to a Jets team cuz of a few stupid mistakes, that same Jets team almost beat the Colts today, and the Bills went on the road and beat Miami and then today beat a Vikings team that has beaten Carolina AND Washington and barely lost to the Bears in Chicago. I think we're better than you give them credit for, significantly better than most people expected. You could say last weeks loss was because of two missed blitz pick ups, or the Pats loss was because of a stupid 4th and 1 call. Every game you can say a team almost won it or almost lost it. A wins a win, and it was a win against a pretty good team.

I'm not saying the Bills are amazing, or even necessarily a playoff caliber team but I think you're shorting them big here.  They almost beat the Pats on the road in the season opener, lost to a Jets team cuz of a few stupid mistakes, that same Jets team almost beat the Colts today, and the Bills went on the road and beat Miami and then today beat a Vikings team that has beaten Carolina AND Washington and barely lost to the Bears in Chicago.  I think we're better than you give them credit for, significantly better than most people expected.  You could say last weeks loss was because of two missed blitz pick ups, or the Pats loss was because of a stupid 4th and 1 call.  Every game you can say a team almost won it or almost lost it.  A wins a win, and it was a win against a pretty good team.

792292[/snapback]

looking at the pats's game without my bills glasses on, they were badly outplayed by the pats for the last 24 minutes of the game and deserved to lose, and the stats showed it. the pats killed the bills in the stats war. they didn't outplay the jets, because the jets forced turnovers and made their drives count. the bills didn't do enough of that. re the vikes, it was a nice win, and as for miami, they appear to be a bad team (which i'm of course happy about). all of this is to say is that the bills so far are a middle of the pack team, which is better than what most people expected.

. all of this is to say is that the bills so far are a middle of the pack team, which is better than what most people expected.

792300[/snapback]

And this is all I wanted for this season. Oline looks better. Losman looks better. Not spectacular but slowly becoming more composed. More relaxed. Kind of subtle improvments that arent spectacular but important baby steps non the less.

792273[/snapback]

I know you mentioned this in another thread, and I agree. I'd like a definition of 'killer instinct' because I've seen complaints about settling for a FG and I've seen complaints about throwing too much at the end. Basically the perceived killer instinct has a lot to do with the fact that they're not a real good team and therefore not especially likely to dominate any game for 60 minutes.

Offensively, I would've liked to see a shot at the endzone when it was 14-6 early 4th. Defensively though, it's not as if we went into a prevent. I didn't notice a significant droppoff w/ the pass-rush towards the end; Minny just made some plays and if I'm not mistaken they got back into the game because McGee got beat on a double move in single coverage with no safety help; and the same thing damn near cost us the game on the last drive (thanks Robinson).

I'm not saying the Bills are amazing, or even necessarily a playoff caliber team but I think you're shorting them big here.  They almost beat the Pats on the road in the season opener, lost to a Jets team cuz of a few stupid mistakes, that same Jets team almost beat the Colts today, and the Bills went on the road and beat Miami and then today beat a Vikings team that has beaten Carolina AND Washington and barely lost to the Bears in Chicago.  I think we're better than you give them credit for, significantly better than most people expected.  You could say last weeks loss was because of two missed blitz pick ups, or the Pats loss was because of a stupid 4th and 1 call.  Every game you can say a team almost won it or almost lost it.  A wins a win, and it was a win against a pretty good team.

792292[/snapback]

Amen Brother !

I know you mentioned this in another thread, and I agree.  I'd like a definition of 'killer instinct' because I've seen complaints about settling for a FG and I've seen complaints about throwing too much at the end.  Basically the perceived killer instinct has a lot to do with the fact that they're not a real good team and therefore not especially likely to dominate any game for 60 minutes. 

Offensively, I would've liked to see a shot at the endzone when it was 14-6 early 4th.  Defensively though, it's not as if we went into a prevent.  I didn't notice a significant droppoff w/ the pass-rush towards the end; Minny just made some plays and if I'm not mistaken they got back into the game because McGee got beat on a double move in single coverage with no safety help; and the same thing damn near cost us the game on the last drive (thanks Robinson).

792310[/snapback]

agreed. also, let's all remember that minnesota is a pretty good team and that johnson is a good qb who has seen it all.

There are Wins and Losses in the NFL and that is all. And today was a win. So shut up because its moronic to say "they won, but they almost didn't" cuz i remember a certain Super Bowl where the Giants won but they almost didn't.

792315[/snapback]

What's the point of message boards? So you can say "Yay we won", "damn we lost"? STFU

I know you mentioned this in another thread, and I agree.  I'd like a definition of 'killer instinct' because I've seen complaints about settling for a FG and I've seen complaints about throwing too much at the end.

792310[/snapback]

I'll trot my pet theory out here as well.

It is not the lack of a "killer instinct" but the overall gameplan that makes for nervous fourth quarters. They play like a team that WANTS to keep the game close. At some point they will get it into their heads that when they are going good they should push their advantage.

Close games are great if you don't think you measure up. This team might want to put that idea aside.

I just want to see improvement from the team.  And hopefully next year the get the O-line they need.

792283[/snapback]

Based upon the 4 games we've seen so far, I think your seeing it. I am....

I am excited that the Bills are a young, enthusiastic and competitive team thus far. I see this season being one of highs and lows. If we can keep the older talent and groom the young players, many of whom are getting significant playing time this year, we will have the makings of a contender if not this year, perhaps by next year. If the players believe in this coaching staff and have some success in this system, get some o-line help we could have something special in the making. Maybe wishful thinking but this is my optimistic view.

JP played  well--but he hasnt shown the ability tp put anyone away yet.

792271[/snapback]

Actually the Bills played well in the 3rd quarter (ie the second half). Long drive for a TD on the opening possession (despite several penalties) then another drive to set them up for a field goal early in the 4th for a 17-6 lead. So that blows your "inability to do anything offensively in the second half of the game" theory. Now if you're talking about after the field goal in the 4th, you may have a point. But without those points the Bills would not have won. Don't worry, be happy! B-)

well the big thing that upsets me about the bills is just our inability to score 6. we've been able to drive decently well to very well in all four games thus far, but (going back to last season even) we always seem to end up around the same point total, between 16 and 20 points. usually cause of either one or two TD's and 2 or 3 FG's. i'd just really like to see us keep the offensive production up, but make our point total more like between 21 and 25 points consistently with at least 3 TD's and a FG.

well the big thing that upsets me about the bills is just our inability to score 6.  we've been able to drive decently well to very well in all four games thus far, but (going back to last season even) we always seem to end up around the same point total, between 16 and 20 points.  usually cause of either one or two TD's and 2 or 3 FG's.  i'd just really like to see us keep the offensive production up, but make our point total more like between 21 and 25 points consistently with at least 3 TD's and a FG.

792411[/snapback]

Note: The one game we scored over 20 we lost.