Is the NFL rigged?

Catholic Guilt

Do you every think about that? Steelers were the feel good story last year, with the retirement of Bettis. They get to the Superbowl and win on some very questionable calls. Remember Alexander getting dragged down by a horsecollar from Porter? A big non call. It was called against the Jets yesterday during a Peerless Price tackle. Then Houston has the number one pick in the draft last year and they take a Defensive End from NC State. Now I live in Carolina and never heard of the kid until draft day. They pass on one of the greatest talents coming into the NFL. The GM who passes on Reggie Bush suddenly retires from Houston to help the NFL in NY. The Saints are a nice story with Katarina. And he slides right to New Orleans.

Is there a real cigarette smoking man? Do you think the NFL has some WWE elements? Do you ever wonder with all the money involved something sneaky is lurking behind the curtain?

Is there a real cigarette smoking man? Do you think the NFL has some WWE elements? Do you ever wonder with all the money involved something sneaky is lurking behind the curtain?

786679[/snapback]

Is this a real question ..........you forgot to mention the 9-11 Patriots and all the favorable calls they rec'd along the way to that superbowl win... Rigged ..you betcha!!

They're taking a page out of the NBA playbook.

NBA in early 80s = dormant league. Then over the next several years, four amazing talents come out of college and go to:

Bird - Boston

Magic - LA

Ewing - NY

Jordon - Chicago

NBA becomes enormously successful league.

Really? What draft board are you talking about??

I hate to be the one doing all the work in this conversation, but a google search of "2006 mock draft" led me to this page:

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2006_mockdrafts.cfm

To save you the trouble of reading the link, it shows the top 4 of a bunch of different mock drafts. Williams is in the top 4 in virtually all of them. Anyone following the draft in even a cursory fashion had heard of him.

The thought crossed my mind briefly with the game tonight in NO. Feel good story of football back in the Big Easy. First series of the game Vick gets sacked and fumbles the ball but the NO player knocks it out of bounds as he attempts to pick it up. Since NO couldn't execute the fumble return for a TD plan they have to move to plan B. Plan B being, of course, a blocked punt on the next play when a Saint comes right up the middle unblocked. TD Saints and the fans (and Nation) go wild!

No, I don't really believe it, but it did cross my mind for a moment.

Do you every think about that? Steelers were the feel good story last year, with the retirement of Bettis. They get to the Superbowl and win on some very questionable calls. Remember Alexander getting dragged down by a horsecollar from Porter? A big non call.  It was called against the Jets yesterday during a Peerless Price tackle. Then Houston has the number one pick in the draft last year and they take a Defensive End from NC State. Now I live in Carolina and never heard of the kid until draft day. They pass on one of the greatest talents coming into the NFL. The GM who passes on Reggie Bush suddenly retires from Houston to help the NFL in NY. The Saints are a nice story with Katarina. And he slides right to New Orleans.

786679[/snapback]

Well it is possible. The Italian Serie A league was found out to be rigged. (Well fixed through bribing and what), but I don't know if that sh-- would pass in the US.

Do you every think about that? Steelers were the feel good story last year, with the retirement of Bettis. They get to the Superbowl and win on some very questionable calls. Remember Alexander getting dragged down by a horsecollar from Porter? A big non call.  It was called against the Jets yesterday during a Peerless Price tackle. Then Houston has the number one pick in the draft last year and they take a Defensive End from NC State. Now I live in Carolina and never heard of the kid until draft day. They pass on one of the greatest talents coming into the NFL. The GM who passes on Reggie Bush suddenly retires from Houston to help the NFL in NY. The Saints are a nice story with Katarina. And he slides right to New Orleans.

786679[/snapback]

Honestly? Yes I've thought about it. But, let's face it-Atlanta sucks and there was probably so much energy in that place tonight and everyone always says that football is a game of passion. Atlanta ($hitty football team) lost to a team with a steadfast QB (Drew Brees) and "one of the best rising football talents ('Duh). More importantly, though, Atlanta lost to a city celebrating a symbolic (note *symbolic) triumph over an American tragedy.

As for the 9-11 NE Super Bowl, I'm still a bit suspiciouos about that (although not as suspicious as I might have been had the Yankees won the series that year) and I believe Tom Brady is a roid popping spy for North Korea.

I'm a Billiever...

The best theory out there is the 1969 Super Bowl with the gaurantee of Joe Namath. The 19 and 1/2 point favorite Colts coached by non-other than the "legendary" Don Shula sleep walk throughout the game and lose 16-7! Bubba Smith, a DE for the Baltimore Colts swears to this day that that game was a setup....the AFL and NFL merger was just around the corner, however, the prevailing attitude Nationally was that the AFL was vastly inferior! Watch the play of Earl Morral the QB for the Colts. He has a designed play to hit Jimmy Orr on a Flea-flicker and he (Orr) is WIDE OPEN in the end zone, well good old Earl "checks off" and throws an interception in the middle of the field! This play was designed and had worked in the season against the Cardinals, yet, Earl throws the INT?! Questionable at BEST!!! Oh, and the residuals.... Don Shula gets a cushy gig coaching down in Miami, Florida and ( cough, cough) becomes the winningest head coach of ALL -TIME and wins TWO Super Bowls in the process! Included in that scenario a PERFECT SEASON! HUH? Looks pretty "fishy" to me!

what exactaly does it make you wonder? That Michael Vick cant win in this league if you force him to beat you by sitting in the pocket and having to pass? That the option offense doesn't work if the nfl if you contain lanes and stay at home instead of over comitting basically taking away the rollout option? The Saints put on a clinc and ATL can basically expect more of the same the rest of the season teams comitting 8-9 in the box until vick proves he can beat teams by being a passing threat, why anyone would respect him as one is beyond me. Id look for teams to continue to defense vick the same way. Make them substain drives and have to pass to win.

It could not have been scripted any better.

this was the first sentense of the main story, right on the frontpage of cnn.com.

http://www.cnn.com

This one couldn't have been scripted any better for a team that spent all of last season on the road, and it couldn't have come at a better time for a city that is still struggling to overcome the devastation of Katrina.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/09/25/saints.return.ap/index.html

that's from the full story...

I hate to be the one doing all the work in this conversation, but a google search of "2006 mock draft" led me to this page:

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2006_mockdrafts.cfm

To save you the trouble of reading the link, it shows the top 4 of a bunch of different mock drafts.  Williams is in the top 4 in virtually all of them.  Anyone following the draft in even a cursory fashion had heard of him.

786755[/snapback]

I'm glad you are doing all the hard work for us in this thread. Let me say thank you.

what exactaly does it make you wonder? That Michael Vick cant win in this league if you force him to beat you by sitting in the pocket and having to pass? That the option offense doesn't work if the nfl if you contain lanes and stay at home instead of over comitting basically taking away the rollout option?  The Saints put on a clinc and ATL can basically expect more of the same the rest of the season teams comitting 8-9 in the box until vick proves he can beat teams by being a passing threat, why anyone would respect him as one is beyond me.  Id look for teams to continue to defense vick the same way. Make them substain drives and have to pass to win.

786931[/snapback]

Could not have said it any better.

Plus, I wonder if the arrival of Mark Simoneau played a role in last night's game plan, because when Simoneau was with the Eagles, generally they enjoyed a great deal of success against Vick.

Emotion can be a big time factor in a lot of games. I beleive the key for New Orleans last night was right off the bat, the blocked punt, that got the crowed juiced, and I think it just gave the Saints everything they needed and the Falcons never recovered. If Atlanta scored first, the game would have been much much different.

Kudos to the Saints and it was great to see part of New Orleans cheering last night after all that city has been through.

:D

I find this incredibly hard to believe. He was #2-4 on every single draft board.

787036[/snapback]

I follow the ACC VERY CLOSELY. NC State had THREE Defensive linemen go in the 1st round of the draft. Maybe I'm not a draft/stats guy, but with three D lineman going that high in the draft (Mario Williams, Manny Lawson and John McCargo), State would be better than a medicore ACC team. How do you pass on Reggie Bush? Not only is he talented, he puts butts in seats!

Interesting links on the subject.

NFL rigged?

More NFL is rigged

If the NFL was rigged, the New York teams would have won more than three Super Bowls between them and appeared in more than four.

I don't think there is any question that the league wants "big-market" teams to win, but there are simply too many variables that occur within the game of football for me to believe that the whole thing is rigged.

What the NFL needs to do is hire full-time officials, instead of the bankers, attorneys, and insurance agents they have now. These zebras miss calls all the time and this past Super Bowl might have been the single worst officiated game ever.

this was the first sentense of the main story, right on the frontpage of cnn.com.

http://www.cnn.com

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/09/25/saints.return.ap/index.html

that's from the full story...

786943[/snapback]

Exactly. If there was ever a fix in on an NFL game, it was last night. On the third play of the game Vick fumbles the ball without it being touched, no one blocks the Saints UP THE MIDDLE on the punt, Crumpler has to try to drop a wide open touchdown, two very questionable non-calls on PI in the second half. :D

It would be incredibly hard to rig american football. There are so many small things that could happen to mess up the rigging.

786895[/snapback]

Quite the opposite, there is a penalty on virtually every play which could be called, or not called. It would be simple for an extra call here, and a non call there, to effect the outcome of a game or shave a couple points.

Quite the opposite, there is a penalty on virtually every play which could be called, or not called. It would be simple for an extra call here, and a non call there, to effect the outcome of a game or shave a couple points.

787119[/snapback]

Laces out! Look at last years Super Bowl for proof.

people used to laugh at the same comments about italian soccer... and then it ended up being true.

786928[/snapback]

Maybe this will help to answer some of the doubters:

http://www.moldea.com/gamefixing.html

The league is fixed, folks. Accept it! The Bills/NE game wa fixed. I always thought it was the refs, and I still maintain it is. Except now, with all the money the networks pay, they want to control the outcome for ratings.

Exactly.  If there was ever a fix in on an NFL game, it was last night.  On the third play of the game Vick fumbles the ball without it being touched, no one blocks the Saints UP THE MIDDLE on the punt, Crumpler has to try to drop a wide open touchdown, two very questionable non-calls on PI in the second half.  :D

787084[/snapback]

...and none of these things has happened before?? Players fumbling without being touched, dropped passes and questionable calls happen every week. For those into conspiracy theories...the fix is in. How it looks to me...sh-- happens. :doh:

While there is a mountain of calls and things to make you wonder, I always come back to this thought.

No one in this world can keep a secret. Especially one that juicy. Now if you study the mortallity rate of refs, head coaches and players from Super bowl teams and there are strange mortality rates then there might be something to it.

Because after a ref fixes a game, you pretty much have to kill the guy at some point because he will talk to someone and it will get out.

That is one of the guarantee's of life, people cannot keep their mouths shut.

While there is a mountain of calls and things to make you wonder, I always come back to this thought.

No one in this world can keep a secret. Especially one that juicy. Now if you study the mortallity rate of refs, head coaches and players from Super bowl teams and there are strange mortality rates then there might be something to it.

Because after a ref fixes a game, you pretty much have to kill the guy at some point because he will talk to someone and it will get out.

787227[/snapback]

Good point. Probably the only argument against my usual tirade why the league is fixed.

787227[/snapback]

I can think of two, money and fear.

I used to wonder seriously whether the game was fixed, but then the wife of a buddy asked me a question which put a stop to this theory for me. She asked, "If it were fixed why isn't it more interesting?"

I actually do find the NFL quite interesting, but believe me if I was gonna fix the game, I wouldcome up with a lot better scripts than some of the idiocy that happens.

Occaisionally one gets a good SB for example, but year after year, the games primary interest is if you have a dog in the hunt and your team is in it, otherwise the primary attraction is really the commercials.

Last year, the Bettis season was really only marginally interesting and it ended up with a game where the MVP could as easily been picked by throwing a dart at the winning team's rpster. The Brady story was an interesting story for the Pats in the 2001 season, but things got pretty old with their re-wins in the 03 and 04 seasons.

If the game were fixed one would be producing scripts which featured unusual applications of little know rules like the tuck rule, some teams hanging around for years while other teams are prominent and the do an el foldo and one evn wrote in the refs blowing the coin toss call in a nationally televised game.

Perhaps these mistakes were all part of the conspiracy but if so is this the best they can do in terms of storytelling.

I can think of two, money and fear.

787273[/snapback]

And you probably think that the moon landing was faked.

Was 9/11 an inside job?

Such conspiracy theories require waaaaaaaaaay too many people to be secret about things that people would brag about if they got drunk enough.

I used to wonder seriously whether the game was fixed, but then the wife of a buddy asked me a question which put a stop to this theory for me.  She asked,  "If it were fixed why isn't it more interesting?"

787446[/snapback]

OTOH, crime - some of it organized - extorts, blackmails, runs drugs and prostitution, medicare fraud, controls some unions, deals in insurance fraud, gambling, numbers rackets and so forth.

One has to question if criminals somehow have some sort of honor code that states "NFL football is Pure. Thou shall not violate it. Even if it increases the betting take". :P

A gentle touch here and there, a bit of Omerta...

OTOH, crime - some of it organized - extorts, blackmails, runs drugs and prostitution, medicare fraud, controls some unions, deals in insurance fraud, gambling, numbers rackets and so forth.

One has to question if criminals somehow have some sort of honor code that states "NFL football is Pure. Thou shall not violate it. Even if it increases the betting take".  :P

A gentle touch here and there, a bit of Omerta...

787462[/snapback]

Organized crime as it was once known (the "Italian Mafia) is all but finished.

Their bookies are getting pushed out of places such as Queens and the Bronx by Albanians. The Dominicans bank their own numbers in Washington Heights, and the government is the biggest numbers runner.

Out of the ones left, close to half are probably informants. I like watching the Sopranos as much as the next guy, but those days are over.

If any games are now fixed, it would be by a MUCH bigger entity than the "mob."

And you probably think that the moon landing was faked.

Was 9/11 an inside job?

Such conspiracy theories require waaaaaaaaaay too many people to be secret about things that people would brag about if they got drunk enough.

787461[/snapback]

Do you think Lee Harvey Oswald killed President Kennedy by himself? A lone nut?

9-11 I'm not sure what to think...

Christof had an interested quote in the Truman Show. When asked how Truman lived in a fake bubble for over thirty years without questioning anything he said, "We accept the reality of the world with which we are presented."