A Few Quick Thoughts On The Game

Bill from NYC

1) I am liking Perry Fewell. He surprised me by having Schobel drop back into coverage so often. One would be suspicious of a move like this, however that the DL still provided constant pressure. Bravo!

2) The name Tripplett might not be so high on the stat sheet for this game, but he fully kicked ass, and was in the backfield all day.

3) I am still concerned about JP. He needs to clear his head and stop making the same mistakes. Look, I am NOT without hope, and am glad he is starting, but he needs more touch on his passes, and better concentration to avoid wasting time outs.

4) 5 sacks from Kelsay and Denney? Again, if our 3 DEs stay healthy, 25 combined sacks is very possible. Not only that, teams will soon be forced to pay more attention to them, offering more room to Tripplett and Anderson. It's all good.

5) The OL did OK to almost OK, which for us is a good thing. CV seemed to get beat more than the others. Reyes had a few good plays.

6) A tip of the hat to Whittner for breaking up the 2 point conversion. It was a real nice play, and took away most reasonable possibilities of losing imo. He made a crucial play on the road, on grass, in his second professional game. Nice work Kid!!!

8) Was that Crowell out there with a sack and a pick? Speaking of picks, he is looking like a very good TD draft choice, but I would rather not think about TD and his drafts right now.

9) Willis, without much room, picked up some key first downs, and looked as strong as an ox while doing so. Blast him as you will, but he can play.

10) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really thought JP could have taken more advantage of this Miami secondary, however I am glad Fairchild called the game he did. I would rather win with JP throwing for 85 yards than to lose with him throwing 400. And if Will Allen didn't tackle Evans that was a perfect throw. Also recall that evans had a tough one go off of his hands. Overall the game plan is what stopped a huge game, but it won us the game.

On a side not, remember that list of players were going to blame, it seems almost everyone of them stepped up.

Denney looks good, no longer a bust. The OL, if we could just replace CV, I realize he is a vet and he's had some good years, one with us. But, he is a weak spot on this team. gandy and Peters played great, and Reyes and fowler okay. CV seems to be stiff. I would really like to see a younger player i.e. Preston play there, I really don't think it could be any worse. And we already know he won't make it through the entire year.

3) I am still concerned about JP. He needs to clear his head and stop making the same mistakes. Look, I am NOT without hope, and am glad he is starting, but he needs more touch on his passes, and better concentration to avoid wasting time outs.

777414[/snapback]

I'm really surprised at this statement, Bill. Do you know for certain that the timeouts are the result of "poor concentration" by JP as opposed to delays with getting the play in from the sidelines? Where does this "he needs to clear his head" come from?

Also...what "same mistakes" did JP make yesterday? He didn't throw any pass that was even close to being intercepted, made several excellent throwaways while being pressured, and had two potentially long plays to Evans wiped off the stat sheet because of (a) Evans' drop and (b) the PI call. He also had another TD to Parrish wiped out b/c of a bad pick play by Reed. That 11/18 for 83 yds and 1 TD quickly becomes 14/21 for 200 and 3 scores.

JP did a great job of managing a road game today and looked significantly better than his "experienced" counterpart on the opposite sideline. NO TURNOVERS IN TWO ROAD GAMES. How can JP -- the man responsible for handling every snap -- not be given credit for this?

Was it an All-Pro performance? Of course not. But it's really hard to criticize this one.

This young defense has the potential to become a dominating force to be reckoned with, but the offense better start getting it together.

Had they scored any points in the second half at New England, the Bills might be looking at a 2-0 record, with 8 of their final 14 games at The Ralph. After 2 games, they've only managed a single offensive touchdown.

I'm hoping they're just keeping their cards close to their vests and not revealing the entire playbook until the early string of divisional games is complete.

We haven't seen any plays designed to give JP the option to use his speed.

Nothing in the way of end arounds and very little play action.

I'd like to see them open up a bit against the Jets and have something like a 34-0 win, finishing the first 3 games with a 2-1 divisional record going into game 4.

I'm really surprised at this statement, Bill.  Do you know for certain that the timeouts are the result of "poor concentration" by JP as opposed to delays with getting the play in from the sidelines?  Where does this "he needs to clear his head" come from?

Also...what "same mistakes" did JP make yesterday?  He didn't throw any pass that was even close to being intercepted, made several excellent throwaways while being pressured, and had two potentially long plays to Evans wiped off the stat sheet because of (a) Evans' drop and (b) the PI call.  He also had another TD to Parrish wiped out b/c of a bad pick play by Reed.  That 11/18 for 83 yds and 1 TD quickly becomes 14/21 for 200 and 3 scores.

JP did a great job of managing a road game today and looked significantly better than his "experienced" counterpart on the opposite sideline.  NO TURNOVERS IN TWO ROAD GAMES.  How can JP -- the man responsible for handling every snap -- not be given credit for this?

Was it an All-Pro performance?  Of course not.  But it's really hard to criticize this one.

777429[/snapback]

E-man, if you look again at the post, I was going out of my way to not be too critical.

I give the kid credit. He was playing on grass, and on the road against (as much as we dislike them), a better than average defense.

Because of the stellar performance by our D and STs, we were able to beat the phish up, and you are right.....JP didn't lose us the game with errors.

As for the timeouts, you do have a point. I am not sure that this repeated error is the fault of JP. I looked in his direction because he is the qb and he is relatively inexperienced. Either way, it has to stop.

Btw, by no means do I consider the play to Evans a "drop." :doh:

E-man, if you look again at the post, I was going out of my way to not be too critical.

I give the kid credit. He was playing on grass, and on the road against (as much as we dislike them), a better than average defense.

Because of the stellar performance by our D and STs, we were able to beat the phish up, and you are right.....JP didn't lose us the game with errors.

As for the timeouts, you do have a point. I am not sure that this repeated error is the fault of JP. I looked in his direction because he is the qb and he is relatively inexperienced. Either way, it has to stop.

Btw, by no means do I consider the play to Evans a "drop."  :doh:

777441[/snapback]

90.7 QB rating and a win. I'll take it.

1) I am liking Perry Fewell. He surprised me by having Schobel drop back into coverage so often. One would be suspicious of a move like this, however that the DL still provided constant pressure. Bravo!

2) The name Tripplett might not be so high on the stat sheet for this game, but he fully kicked ass, and was in the backfield all day.

4) 5 sacks from Kelsay and Denney? Again, if our 3 DEs stay healthy, 25 combined sacks is very possible. Not only that, teams will soon be forced to pay more attention to them, offering more room to Tripplett and Anderson. It's all good.

5) The OL did OK to almost OK, which for us is a good thing. CV seemed to get beat more than the others. Reyes had a few good plays.

6) A tip of the hat to Whittner for breaking up the 2 point conversion. It was a real nice play, and took away most reasonable possibilities of losing imo. He made a crucial play on the road, on grass, in his second professional game. Nice work Kid!!!

8) Was that Crowell out there with a sack and a pick? Speaking of picks, he is looking like a very good TD draft choice, but I would rather not think about TD and his drafts right now.

9) Willis, without much room, picked up some key first downs, and looked as strong as an ox while doing so. Blast him as you will, but he can play.

10) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

777414[/snapback]

Bill I think the time out you are thinking off was due to issues with the headset in JP helmet. Apparently it was going in and out and he couldnt hear the plays being called.

Btw, by no means do I consider the play to Evans a "drop."  :doh:

777441[/snapback]

I originally did not blame Evans for that missed connection, but after seeing the replay I changed my mind. Evans got both hands on the ball. A #1 receiver has to make that catch. I was watching the game at my house with several Bills' and non-Bills' fans, and all of us agreed after seeing the replay that this was one Evans should have had.

You may disagree, but that's my opinion.

As for JP -- I know you're skeptical, but there really is no reason to even take a backhanded stab at him for yesterday's game. I still don't know to what you're referring when you say "he needs to clear his head."

If anything, Evans was the one who had the off day -- including his miss on a blitz pickup late in the 3rd quarter when Losman checked to his hot read (Evans) and Evans was still running the go route. If Evans pays attention and is looking for the ball, there's another potential TD; he would only have had to beat one man.

I originally did not blame Evans for that missed connection, but after seeing the replay I changed my mind.  Evans got both hands on the ball.  A #1 receiver has to make that catch.  I was watching the game at my house with several Bills' and non-Bills' fans, and all of us agreed after seeing the replay that this was one Evans should have had.

You may disagree, but that's my opinion.

As for JP -- I know you're skeptical, but there really is no reason to even take a backhanded stab at him for yesterday's game.  I still don't know to what you're referring when you say "he needs to clear his head."

If anything, Evans was the one who had the off day -- including his miss on a blitz pickup late in the 3rd quarter when Losman checked to his hot read (Evans) and Evans was still running the go route.  If Evans pays attention and is looking for the ball, there's another potential TD; he would only have had to beat one man.

777533[/snapback]

Not only that, but he misjudged the ball. Had he run through, it's an easy six.

777414[/snapback]

Maybe someone who tapes the game can confirm this, but it seems to me most of the time I saw a strong play by the DTs, Williams was in there, not Anderson.

I think if we look at this team with perspective (i.e. their youth, inexperience, new schemes, on the road in hostile environments, etc), there is VERY little room to be critical of yesterday's performance. Jauron is on record multiple times stating that he is going to be "forcibly patient" with JP. To me, that does not mean he's goign to let JP go ape-sh-- every game and just be patient until he gets it right. It means that he's going to minimize the impact JP will have on the game and slowly put more and more responsibility on his shoulders.

If Willis, our defense, and ST can play solidly each week, then JP will be able to grow into the role to a point where he WILL be the difference maker. He's got all the talent in the world, but I think there was way too much expected of him last year. JP played his role very well yesterday. Great, great win by our Bills.

I think if we look at this team with perspective (i.e. their youth, inexperience, new schemes, on the road in hostile environments, etc), there is VERY little room to be critical of yesterday's performance.

...Great, great win by our Bills.

777573[/snapback]

I'd say so, too. A road game win in a warm climate within the division.

The 'fins - overhyped, yes - have some decent players on offense and defense, but those were kept under wraps.

Good job.

I'd say so, too. A road game win in a warm climate within the division.

The 'fins - overhyped, yes - have  some decent players on offense and defense, but those were kept under wraps.

Good job.

777634[/snapback]

I sure hope we reclaim the Ralph as 'our house' again this season. Seems like it hasn't translated into much of an advantage over the past couple years, but there is A LOT for us to be excited about with these youngsters....I hope we knock the Jets on their asses next week 0:)

777414[/snapback]

Thats 2 more big plays than Posey had in 3 years

90.7 QB rating and a win. I'll take it.

777450[/snapback]

All season long, baby.

All I know is that Im seeing a team thats organized and playing well...sticking to a well-designed game plan. Good stuff.

The sun is shining.....the Bills trounced the fish...and I got two tixx to the (hopefully) Mets clincher at Shea tonight. Life is good.

I would add the following:

1. Brian Moorman was at his best. On a warm day, he boomed his punts and pinned the Dolphins deep in their territory.

2. Rian Lindell made clutch 43 and 45 yard kicks. Those kicks were huge...

3. We still need to stop the Run....though we were better at it today than

last sunday.

Last weekend the Bills had a problem getting the play in on time and the Bills took a DOG penalty.  Yesterday the same problems happened and JP took TO's.  I think he's learning quickly. 

And I doubt he tries to switch hands to get-off a pass while getting sacked again.

777470[/snapback]

Why don't they give him one of those Arm Pads where they can summarize some of the plays and then use hand signals to indicate it to him...I hope the Bills

do address this problem. They had the issue during the pre-season too and then

in both the regular season games.

I thought JP was outstanding...especially after starting 1 for 6, he came out and

managed the game perfectly. I wish they introduce the TEs in the game plan a little more....1 catch for 3 yards from our TE position will not cut it.

And finally Peerless Price and Kevin Everett the guys with the speed have been

completely invisible....I would think that if Evans is being double teamed, price

should be open most of the times.