Donte Witner was a stretch at 8....

CJPearl2

Yeah right. The Bills knew who they wanted and didn't want to risk a trade down and lose him. He will be a stud player for years to come. He showed great instinct in breaking up that 2-point conversion and seemed like he was in the right place all day. I really enjoy watching him play.

By the way, Ko Simpson played well too.

I love this Rookie class, and the National media (at least the CBS broadcasts each week) is starting to take note.

It was almost a blessing that TV had a hamstring pull. Ko has a lot to learn and I like TV's leadership etc... but with the speed of both those safeties--wow you can do a lot. They can match up well with WRs, they can hit, tackle, and blitz. I was watching them both today and boy were they flying around.

Yeah right. The Bills knew who they wanted and didn't want to risk a trade down and lose him. He will be a stud player for years to come. He showed great instinct in breaking up that 2-point conversion and seemed like he was in the right place all day. I really enjoy watching him play.

I love this Rookie class, and the National media (at least the CBS broadcasts each week) is starting to take note.

776858[/snapback]

I am not the least bit surprised by how Whitner has played, he was supposed to be game ready, fast and instinctive. He's all that. However, he's still a safety.

What makes the pick look smarter TODAY, is that the Bills received good enough play out of the rookie DT's, the young QB and the OL, the three higher priority positions that the team was weak at.

That said, it's early. I'd be willing to bet a lot of people who had been ecstatic about Losman's play in NE, anointing him a success in progress were probably ready to call him a bust after his horrendous first half in Miami. If the Bills come out and lay an egg against the Jets, give up 150 yards on the ground, Losman is ineffective the OL struggles it will be right back off the bandwagon for a lot of you.

Here's my take: this team doesn't have a lot of margin for error and so far, they've been able to muffle the game with timely, but unspectacular play by offense and defense, excellent special teams play and the help of some rather inept performances by NE and Miami. I think the entire league is seeing the results of the record amount of coaching changes, especially on offense, including Miami who swapped Scott Linehan for the Meathead. The question is can the Bills maintain their focus with so many young players and continue to improve to the point where they can control the lines of scrimmage and get good QB play in addition to the relative "intangibles" they are getting by on now?

I am not the least bit surprised by how Whitner has played, he was supposed to be game ready, fast and instinctive.  He's all that.  However, he's still a safety.

What makes the pick look smarter TODAY, is that the Bills received good enough play out of the rookie DT's, the young QB and the OL, the three higher priority positions that the team was weak at.

That said, it's early.  I'd be willing to bet a lot of people who had been ecstatic about Losman's play in NE, anointing him a success in progress were probably ready to call him a bust after his horrendous first half in Miami.  If the Bills come out and lay an egg against the Jets, give up 150 yards on the ground, Losman is ineffective the OL struggles it will be right back off the bandwagon for a lot of you.

Here's my take: this team doesn't have a lot of margin for error and so far, they've been able to muffle the game with timely, but unspectacular play by offense and defense, excellent special teams play and the help of some rather inept performances by NE and Miami.  I think the entire league is seeing the results of the record amount of coaching changes, especially on offense, including Miami who swapped Scott Linehan for the Meathead.  The question is can the Bills maintain their focus with so many young players and continue to improve to the point where they can control the lines of scrimmage and get good QB play in addition to the relative "intangibles" they are getting by on now?

777186[/snapback]

Yeah.....but until then PARTY!!!!!!! :doh:

I am not the least bit surprised by how Whitner has played, he was supposed to be game ready, fast and instinctive.  He's all that.  However, he's still a safety.

777186[/snapback]

I'm saying right now...these guys are going to be good. Not only did they defend the passes, but they covered so well, Culpepper had nothing to throw to. The DBs have great speed and can keep the field covered.

Miami is clearly overrated - the media created the hype that they'd challenge New England for the division based on the meaningless 6-game win streak last year and Culpepper's arrival (who is also overrated).

Something needs to be done on the O-line.  They have to bench Villy at the least and see where that goes.

777188[/snapback]

i actually thought the OLine played "improved" from last week. They weren't blowing anyone off the line but they were giving Willis "cracks" to slip through and the pass protection was improved as well.

776858[/snapback]

Football has changed from the time the Bills dominated in the 90's. Safeties are now much more important, especially the strong safety. This postion has become a hybrid small linebacker/ big cornerback type of position. Guys that can play the run and are good in coverage are getting premium dollars. Somehow, old guy Marv knew this. So far, this looks like a very good pick.

Given our huge needs we have at safety, and the defensive scheme that is being installed, Whitner was a wise pick. Unlike drafting a QB, Whitner's chances of making an impact are higher and it was important to get an excellent player with this pick.

Here's a quote from one of the post-game articles on cbs sportsline:

MIAMI -- As Buffalo Bills rookie safety Donte Whitner sat at his locker Sunday following his team's impressive 16-6 road victory over the Miami Dolphins, 81-year-old team owner Ralph Wilson sidled over with a message.

"They said we took you too high," Wilson said. "I don't think so."

Whitner's face lit up, as you would expect when the man who signs the checks pays you a compliment. "Thank you, sir," Whitner said. "I'm just trying to prove them wrong."

Whitner may play well....but it was still a stretch to take him, especially when the lines needed so much work.

If I pay $30,000 for a $20,000 car, no matter how good that car treats me, I STILL overpaid for it.

777638[/snapback]

Yeah, but Donte may be a $40,000 in disguise....in which case we got a helluva deal.

776858[/snapback]

Chris Collingsworth also was all praise during the night games 1/2 time show.

Whitner may play well....but it was still a stretch to take him, especially when the lines needed so much work.

If I pay $30,000 for a $20,000 car, no matter how good that car treats me, I STILL overpaid for it.

777638[/snapback]

So what lineman do you take? 0:)

We will see at the end of the season which lineman, taken after Whitner, has a bigger impact.

There are no gaurantees in the draft.