Sabres mgmt blowing smoke up our asses

Golden Wheels

The Sabres tried to incorporate their original emblem, but they couldn't make it work.

"It was easier to start from scratch," said Frank Cravotta, Sabres director of creative services. "When your old logo is such an icon, it's hard to redo it."

Cravotta said the Sabres evaluated about 80 logo designs before settling on one. Then there were about 12 revisions before it was finalized.

Buffalo News link

Couldn't make it work?!?! That's odd. I saw a considerable number of designs on the internet by fans that adapted the old logo. A decent graphics design firm could have done the same -- or at least had that thing leaping over crossed swords.

They picked a legless Buffalo out of 80 designs?

Horse hockey!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife, a grade school teacher who knew nothing about the Sabres getting new uniforms and could frankly care less, said it best this morning when I showed her a pic. "It looks like a cartoon or something, like some sort of Pokemon guy. Is that seriously the new jersey?"

My wife, a grade school teacher who knew nothing about the Sabres getting new uniforms and could frankly care less, said it best this morning when I showed her a pic. "It looks like a cartoon or something, like some sort of Pokemon guy. Is that seriously the new jersey?"

775483[/snapback]

Your wife and I think alike. When I saw them in person for the first time yesterday my first thought was literally "Pokemon!" and I hadn't heard anyone say that previously.

Buffalo News link

Couldn't make it work?!?! That's odd. I saw a considerable number of designs on the internet by fans that adapted the old logo. A decent graphics design firm could have done the same -- or at least had that thing leaping over crossed swords.

They picked a legless Buffalo out of 80 designs?

Horse hockey!

775476[/snapback]

They must not be telling the whole story. I wouldn't be surprised to find that the Slaybk proposals were somehow copywrited or protected and the team would have had to pay royalties to use variations of their design. The "all rights reserved" tag at the bottom of Slaybk's webpage says a lot, IMO.

Now, we have to live with this abomination...This thing looks like some BOCES design student put it together.

The only complaints were that the blue of the classic jerseys doesn't match the new pants, and the dark sleeves on the white jerseys might cause a giveaway or two.

"The whole arm is blue," defenseman Teppo Numminen said. "Then you get mixed up. You see a guy off to the side and see a dark arm, you don't really know if it's your teammate."

Gee, do you think a comment like this might have been useful during the design process? What a total cluster!@#$ this whole thing has been.

They must not be telling the whole story.  I wouldn't be surprised to find that the Slaybk proposals were somehow copywrited or protected and the team would have had to pay royalties to use variations of their design.  The "all rights reserved" tag at the bottom of Slaybk's webpage says a lot, IMO.

Now, we have to live with this abomination...This thing looks like some BOCES design student put it together.

775557[/snapback]

Compounding the error, it appears that the yellow is not the same between the sleeves and the slug...

They must not be telling the whole story.  I wouldn't be surprised to find that the Slaybk proposals were somehow copywrited or protected and the team would have had to pay royalties to use variations of their design.  The "all rights reserved" tag at the bottom of Slaybk's webpage says a lot, IMO.

775557[/snapback]

Except the Slabyk proposals were all take offs on the original logo that the Sabres do own the copyright for.

If they chose a design that was "similar" to the Celsius designs, it wouldn't be like the Ravens getting dinged for stealing a totally new design. I can think of a lot of ways the Sabres could have updated the original while still making it difficult, if not impossible, for Slabyk to successfully sue the Sabres.

From the little bit that I've seen where Slabyk has posted, he doesn't come across as a jerk. He'd have to be a world class jerk to sue the Sabres for using "his" design of their logo unless the thing were pretty much identical to one of his designs. While I admit that a fear of lawsuit MAY have contributed to the Sabres chosing the direction they went, I don't see it as being the primary or even A primary driving force.

I see this as being more of a case of some idiot at Reebok coming up with a hare brained idea and some combination of backroom politicing / lobbying eventually convinced Tom and Larry that this was a good thing. Quinn has been favoring radical ideas (blue ice, rounded goals, game by game pricing structure, etc.) since he retook the reins, so it probably wasn't too hard of a sell to get him to agree to (or even suggest) the Sabres logo go in a radical new direction. Which is really a shame because the successful relaunch of the b&g was pretty much a slam dunk, open net, no brainer and the Sabres and Reebok managed to screw it up.

Gee, do you think a comment like this might have been useful during the design process?  What a total cluster!@#$ this whole thing has been.

775564[/snapback]

The pants not matching the rest of the throwback was a known problem as soon as they decided to run with it for damage control. When teams change unis they aren't allowed a 3rd sweater for 2 or 3 seasons. They are allowed "vintage" unis and that is what the Sabres are running with. If the colors of the sweaters were navy they wouldn't be "vintage", they'd be "3rds". I'm not sure why they aren't using vintage pants (royal blue with the white and yellow stripes up the middle of the side) instead of the new ones.

As for the confusion with taking a quick look and passing to the wrong team because of the blue arms, I don't think that will be a huge issue because the other team will be dealing with the same (but reverse) problem. A Loaf might see the arm of Drury in the ACC and send the puck to him because it looks in that split second like Drury's a loaf. Actually, if anything, the Sabres would be dumping the puck out of the zone more than passing it up as it appears there are no open Sabres, and the home team would be expected to put bad passes on the tape of a Sabre as it appears there are no Sabres.

Except the Slabyk proposals were all take offs on the original logo that the Sabres do own the copyright for.

775576[/snapback]

It wouldn't surprise me that somewhere in the Knox/Rigas transition the copywrite protection on the original was fugged up or not strenthened (i.e., the trademark description on file with the commerce dept. not detailed enough in writing to guard against minor variations). The NHL is a garage league and it would be just like them to drop the ball on something like this...

The pants not matching the rest of the throwback was a known problem as soon as they decided to run with it for damage control. 

775583[/snapback]

I think he's refering to just the jersey colors...gold on the arms and piss yellow on the logo don't match.

:huh:

Just think - the pictures of the Sabres finally skating around HSBC with the cup will have them in these jerseys :unsure:

:doh:

775560[/snapback]

Actually they won't. Larry Quinn said the team already has the right to wear the throwbacks for any deciding home game in the playoffs.

That's great news, and also another admission that they fugged up the new uniforms.

I think he's refering to just the jersey colors...gold on the arms and piss yellow on the logo don't match.

775603[/snapback]

You're referring back to Madcap's post.

My comment was in response to the newspaper article quote that BillsFanNC quoted.

The only complaints were that the blue of the classic jerseys doesn't match the new pants, and the dark sleeves on the white jerseys might cause a giveaway or two.

I don't see any comment about yellow and gold in that one.