New Sabres Jersey Revealed

BillsGuyInMalta

Isn't there an alternate jersey that is more like the original jerseys? If there is I say those are the only ones fans should buy. That'll show them what we prefer. I know that's the only one I'll buy.

774138[/snapback]

The 3rd jersey is the original blue road jersey.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't it great to have such a team that is so responsive to what the market wants...

From the News...

The controversial streaking Buffalo logo became one of the biggest local sports stories of the summer when it was leaked. Fan reaction was overwhelmingly negative and the hullabaloo forced Sabres managing partner Larry Quinn to hold a news conference to confirm that the then-rumored logo was correct and that the team would also use its original logo, which the fans desired, as its third jersey.

If noone buys the friggin jersey, then they WILL eventually change it. I won't buy anything with that abomination on it. I daresay that they will sell out of the 3rd jersey, the original, and then noone will buy any more jerseys.

FOAD Larry Quinn!!!!

Listen.  I don't live in Buffalo anymore, but for those you who do, and who are going to games,  can you please promise me this? 

Could you please not boo when the team takes the ice tomorrow morning/at the preseason opener/at the season opener/any other time in the near future when they take the ice wearing the new jerseys?  I can't think of anything that would be more pathetic.

774103[/snapback]

I completely agree with you...but you know its going to happen anyways.

I'm not a big fan of the logo, but I'd never dream of booing my team for wearing them. Just friggin silly. Some people just have to calm down and realize its JUST A LOGO.

If noone buys the friggin jersey, then they WILL eventually change it.  I won't buy anything with that abomination on it.  I daresay that they will sell out of the 3rd jersey, the original, and then noone will buy any more jerseys.

FOAD Larry Quinn!!!!

774200[/snapback]

Sigh...I can't be the only one who at this point is more annoyed with the logo-b!tching than the actual logo itself. Can I?

Yep that's exactly what I do.  In regard to everything.  Especially when it comes to something I have close to zero control over, like the logo of a professional sports team.

774225[/snapback]

And this is why companies don't fear backlash from the public anymore. :rolleyes:

Sigh...I can't be the only one who at this point is more annoyed with the logo-b!tching than the actual logo itself.  Can I?

774206[/snapback]

If the bitching continues into the season I will have a problem with it. I see no problem bitching about up until they hit the ice though, it really is that bad of a logo. LQ should get grilled tomorrow, an explanation is needed as to why they chose the slug option when you know something at least partially based on the original had to have been on the table at some point.

Yep that's exactly what I do. In regard to everything. Especially when it comes to something I have close to zero control over, like the logo of a professional sports team.

Well, you could sign the petition and not spend your money on the stupid thing. If everyone did that, it may get changed.

Some people just have to calm down and realize its JUST A LOGO.

774203[/snapback]

Everyone needs to realize it's much more than "just a logo." In the year 2006, sports logos are essentially city seals. They might as well be the flags that represent the area. I couldn't tell you anything about Kansas City, but I can draw it's sports logos from memory. Sports teams are pretty much the only way the city of Buffalo is exposed to the rest of the country and the world (no one is coming here for jobs or to have a better life). The Bills and Sabres represent us.

The Sabres had a chance to go back to the same classic logo they used to have. The original logo is timeless; it screams tradition. Buffalo is all about tradition. The only people who live here are from here and they've been cheering for the Sabres their entire lives (compare that to the "Caniacs" in NC). The banana slug is a trendy, focus-group driven, amorphous yellow blob. They tried so hard to make it look "cool" for thirteen year olds that it doesn't even look like a Buffalo! The slug is an even more drastic break from the original logo than the goathead was. The goathead was, at least, still a white buffalo and still tied into the significant of what a white buffalo represents. Yellow is the universal color of cowards.

And more than just the fact that the new logo does a horrible job representing the city and fans - in a time where players come and go every few years, it'd be nice to have the same logo year after year. If the Sabres just went straight back to the original logo full time, it'd tie everything up nicely and the new fans could easily connect back with the people who've cheered the team for decades. There's basically little chance the slug is the logo for the next six years. There's no way in hell we have that logo for 10 years. So we know it's just a temporary thing until the next one. Essentially, it represents even less stability for the fans.

Everyone needs to realize it's much more than "just a logo."  In the year 2006, sports logos are essentially city seals.  They might as well be the flags that represent the area.  I couldn't tell you anything about Kansas City, but I can draw it's sports logos from memory.  Sports teams are pretty much the only way the city of Buffalo is exposed to the rest of the country and the world (no one is coming here for jobs or to have a better life).  The Bills and Sabres represent us.

The Sabres had a chance to go back to the same classic logo they used to have.  The original logo is timeless; it screams tradition.  Buffalo is all about tradition.  The only people who live here are from here and they've been cheering for the Sabres their entire lives (compare that to the "Caniacs" in NC).  The banana slug is a trendy, focus-group driven, amorphous yellow blob.  They tried so hard to make it look "cool" for thirteen year olds that it doesn't even look like a Buffalo!  The slug is an even more drastic break from the original logo than the goathead was.  The goathead was, at least, still a white buffalo and still tied into the significant of what a white buffalo represents.  Yellow is the universal color of cowards.

And more than just the fact that the new logo does a horrible job representing the city and fans - in a time where players come and go every few years, it'd be nice to have the same logo year after year.  If the Sabres just went straight back to the original logo full time, it'd tie everything up nicely and the new fans could easily connect back with the people who've cheered the team for decades.  There's basically little chance the slug is the logo for the next six years.  There's no way in hell we have that logo for 10 years.  So we know it's just a temporary thing until the next one.  Essentially, it represents even less stability for the fans.

774249[/snapback]

NICE!

????? What about the Sabres fans who care more about what they are wearing on the ice rather then the team that is wearing them. This entire offseason has been how bad the new jerseys look with the occasional break to announce a resigning, then back to whining about the look of the logo

773096[/snapback]

And yet you are posting in a thread dedicated to the new uniforms.

Everyone needs to realize it's much more than "just a logo."  In the year 2006, sports logos are essentially city seals.  They might as well be the flags that represent the area.  I couldn't tell you anything about Kansas City, but I can draw it's sports logos from memory.  Sports teams are pretty much the only way the city of Buffalo is exposed to the rest of the country and the world (no one is coming here for jobs or to have a better life).  The Bills and Sabres represent us.

The Sabres had a chance to go back to the same classic logo they used to have.  The original logo is timeless; it screams tradition.  Buffalo is all about tradition.  The only people who live here are from here and they've been cheering for the Sabres their entire lives (compare that to the "Caniacs" in NC).  The banana slug is a trendy, focus-group driven, amorphous yellow blob.  They tried so hard to make it look "cool" for thirteen year olds that it doesn't even look like a Buffalo!  The slug is an even more drastic break from the original logo than the goathead was.  The goathead was, at least, still a white buffalo and still tied into the significant of what a white buffalo represents.  Yellow is the universal color of cowards.

And more than just the fact that the new logo does a horrible job representing the city and fans - in a time where players come and go every few years, it'd be nice to have the same logo year after year.  If the Sabres just went straight back to the original logo full time, it'd tie everything up nicely and the new fans could easily connect back with the people who've cheered the team for decades.  There's basically little chance the slug is the logo for the next six years.  There's no way in hell we have that logo for 10 years.  So we know it's just a temporary thing until the next one.  Essentially, it represents even less stability for the fans.

774249[/snapback]

Very well stated SnR.

One thing that I would like to add that I posted over at TSR is - for those of you going to the practice tomorrow. PLEASE do not boo the unis. But start a chant - "dump the slug", "the unis are ugly", or whatever. Let management know you hate the friggin' logo. You can love the team but hate what they are wearing. Even if the new blues look good minus the snot smear, they have a friggin' 20" wide snot smear across the center of them.

So you don't like the logo complaints, but have no problem complaining about something that hasn't even happened?

774337[/snapback]

Yeah, I guess so.

Sorry for going out on a huge limb and suggesting that booing is a possibility. It might seem inevitable don't you think? I mean, this new logo has drawn so much well-deserved angst and rage, and the city has risen as one declaring that it will absolutely not buy anything with the logo on it (that'll show em) so why would I expect fans at the Arena tomorrow to lose their minds with applause and cheers when the logo hits the ice?

I know I've said this before. It bears repeating.

For Larry Quinn to do this, there is only one reason.

Larry Quinn wants to rid the Sabres organization of everything Doug Moss. Remember, Quinn lost the original power struggle to Moss. Then Moss was booted by the Rigas family. Quinn got the ear of Gollisano, and came back into a position of power within the Sabres Organization. Now, he has carte blanche to do whatever he wants, to erase every stamp Moss put on the organization. The red and black uni's were developed under Moss' direction. Quinn could not handle that.

IMHO, Quinn should stick to building buildings, and not run hockey teams.

And more than just the fact that the new logo does a horrible job representing the city and fans - in a time where players come and go every few years, it'd be nice to have the same logo year after year.

774249[/snapback]

Well stated.

For those of us who simply "root for the laundry" for this reason... we want that laundry to not look like sh--.

I know I've said this before.  It bears repeating.

For Larry Quinn to do this, there is only one reason. 

Larry Quinn wants to rid the Sabres organization of everything Doug Moss.  Remember, Quinn lost the original power struggle to Moss.  Then Moss was booted by the Rigas family.  Quinn got the ear of Gollisano, and came back into a position of power within the Sabres Organization.  Now, he has carte blanche to do whatever he wants, to erase every stamp Moss put on the organization.  The red and black uni's were developed under Moss' direction.  Quinn could not handle that. 

IMHO, Quinn should stick to building buildings, and not run hockey teams.

774683[/snapback]

I don't disagree with Quinn that the uniform needs to go back to its roots of blue and gold. I just don't understand how Sluggo got past the "You've got to be fuggin' kidding me, designer guy" stage.