Pats resign Smith

scrizyy

What about:  than vs. then / effect vs. affect

These two are abused like a red headed step-child.  I'm forgetting(sp.) :lol: some major ones.  I'll get back.

770886[/snapback]

Is anyone else annoyed when people use the phrase "I could care less" (meaning you do care about the issue since you could care even less). The proper phrase is "I COULDN'T care less".

I just hate "alot".  Jesus, I hate "alot".  It's "a lot".  The gap is created by using the spacer bar.  It's just below all the little type-ee keys in the middle of the keyboard.  Let's all try it....."a lot".......

771163[/snapback]

Were you ever an elementary school teacher on LI? :lol:

I once got a zero on a take home spelling test for using alot instead of a lot because we were supposed to review the answers with a dictionary. I then had to get a parental signature, forged my mother's signature & got into a world of trouble. All because I spelled a lot incorrectly. I hate those two words together, a lot! :lol:

No. Another public school product from upstate New York where the teachers routinely skewered us for things like "alot"...and "to much", and the like.

It's been about 28 hours and my stomach is still settling down after the last 10 minutes of that game. Fast Freddie wouldn't have made a difference had he been with the Bills or the Patriots. I'm happy for him as an individual that he's landed employment.

That game pi$$ed me off more than any game I've seen in years. I applaud the 4th-and-1 call - real balls, and it's time we had those on the sidelines in this franchise. Damn, I hated the outcome. I have to think, however, that a number of coaches around the league are looking at that tape as a model for what THEY'LL try against the no-longer-almighty Patriots. What kills me is the thought that folks in New England are telling me that it would have been closer if Bruschi had been in! "In" what? A wheelchair with a bottle of Geritol? How many times was Seau's number called?

Is anyone else annoyed when people use the phrase "I could care less" (meaning you do care about the issue since you could care even less).  The proper phrase is "I COULDN'T care less".

770951[/snapback]

That annoys me more than anything else. I correct it every single time I hear it said, it just drives me crazy.

Is anyone else annoyed when people use the phrase "I could care less" (meaning you do care about the issue since you could care even less).  The proper phrase is "I COULDN'T care less".

770951[/snapback]

It bugs me so much that I mentioned this a few months back & was given a reasonable response by somebody explaining how when he uses it that way there is an element of sarcasm involved(with perhaps a bit of eye-rolling).

I find if I force myself to assume the person is being sarcastic, I don't bite my tongue off......still bugs me though.

I hate it when people spell the name of the guys on the damned team wrong.  Typos happen, so maybe the occasional Losnan can be forgiven.  But Juron?  Lossman?  Dante Whittner?  Tom Donahue?  MaGehee?

770986[/snapback]

Even funnier when the same person uses a different spelling of the name every time he posts a topic on the same player. Whitner during the holdout comes to mind.

Good point, slivermick.

It bugs me so much that I mentioned this a few months back & was given a reasonable response by somebody explaining how when he uses it that way there is an element of sarcasm involved(with perhaps a bit of eye-rolling).

I find if I force myself to assume the person is being sarcastic, I don't bite my tongue off......still bugs me though.

771225[/snapback]

OK or okay. Whatever you prefer.

But I want to say that somone saying they could care less, could have a different intonation(?) than someone saying they couldn't care less.

I mean I could care less that Dick Jauron is an ugly human being.

I dont, but I could. But I try not to focus on that because I think I like him a lot as a head coach. He is making feel like we will be improving so I am willing to overlook him being ugly. And really when it comes down to it. I am not a physical specimen myself. But I am miles better looking than DJ>

I couldn't care less that Troy Vincent was out early in the game.

Ha, I did it! I didn't think I could make this unreasonable situation legit :lol: But I did! I really did!

because the rules are sheer idiocy.

771275[/snapback]

No, it's simple. Fewer goes with objects that can be counted. So it's fewer IQ points, but less intelligent. The idiocy comes with the math folks who try to confuse us with the term "less than." :lol: You could say that the "time and money exceptions" cloud things but they really don't, if you think about it...

No, it's simple. Fewer goes with objects that can be counted.  So it's fewer IQ points, but less intelligent.  The idiocy comes with the math folks who try to confuse us with the term "less than." :lol: You could say that the "time and money exceptions" cloud things but they really don't, if you think about it...

771285[/snapback]

Well, yes, it's the numbers exception. "Less" than 10,000. So, it's "fewer" if you can count it, but if you actually DID count it - it would be "less". :lol: