what to get canada

bob marley

I havent been to canada in years.  I have reservations for the night before the opener.  what do I need to get into canada.  I have a NYS licence and SS.

770365[/snapback]

liscence and another photo id should be alright

and if possible, stick that avatar on your photo id, should make it 100 times easier :D

I thought a passport was required now

770375[/snapback]

thanks for the input. have you been to canada lately. what do you need. I have licence, credit, social security, and state issued police licence. will that work? someone must have snuck up to sundowners lately. what did you need to get across>?

Also, I am not a terorist>? i am a bills fan.

thanks for the input.  have you been to canada lately.  what do you need.  I have licence, credit, social security, and state issued police licence.  will that work?  someone must have snuck up to sundowners lately.  what did you need to get across>?

Also, I am not a terorist>?  i am a bills fan.

770386[/snapback]

Also. my avatar is a picture of a canadian that killed his neigbor then came to the US

I go to Canada all of the time over the Buffalo/Fort Erie border, no worries! Assuming you're a US citizen and everyone you're with in the car is as well, just bring your driver's licence. No passport is needed for Americans

The deadline for that requirement keeps getting pushed back and hopefully it will never happen as it would be economically detrimental to both sides.

If you're really feeling paranoid though, then bring just your birth certificate or a passport if you have it, but just one form of government issues photo ID is all that's needed. And college issued student ID's don't count from what I've been told. Have a fun trip!!

And be truthful with where you're going when you cross into Canada. It'll help make things easier. Also know what the limits are on bringing alcohol back into the US, and remember to declare all purchases when crossing back over.

770408[/snapback]

your supposed to declare purchases. oops. i guess i was lucky that i didn't get busted w/ 100 cuban cigars last time i was up there which i made good $ off of. :D

You don't need a passport yet, however you do (and always have) need more than just a driver's license. The standard thing to bring is your license and birth certificate.

Eventually, you are going to need a passport to go.

You don't need a passport yet, however you do (and always have) need more than just a driver's license.  The standard thing to bring is your license and birth certificate.

770439[/snapback]

Agree, I am a regular crosser of the boarder and have been asked for ID beyond my Drivers License at times. They told me the only VALID id is a birth certificate or a passport.

Be safe, bring the Birth Certificate with you as they may be tighter with all the people coming over for the game.

My family and I went a couple of years ago. The customs agent was a real * and sent us to immigration. They said to my children: "Are these your parents?" Now mind you the two kids look exactley alike (Blonde, blue eyed) My wife has blonde hair and blue eyes, I have light brown (oK with grey) hair and blue eyes. After the kids agreed that yes we were their parents the immigration agent gave us a form admitting us to Canada. I was told to give the form to an officer. Tried to find one, couldnt and when I finally did he took the form without looking at it, crumpled it up and threw it away.

Bienvenue a Canada.

My family and I went a couple of years ago.  The customs agent was a real * and sent us to immigration.  They said to my children: "Are these your parents?" Now mind you the two kids look exactley alike (Blonde, blue eyed) My wife has blonde hair and blue eyes, I have light brown (oK with grey) hair and blue eyes.  After the kids agreed that yes we were their parents the immigration agent gave us a form admitting us to Canada.  I was told to give the form to an officer.  Tried to find one, couldnt and when I finally did he took the form without looking at it, crumpled it up and threw it away.

Bienvenue a Canada.

770534[/snapback]

The last time I went to Canada was in June when we were back in Buffalo visiting my mom and the rest of my family.

When we pulled up to the booth on the Canadian side, I was pleasently surprised to find probably the most attractive immigration official I had ever met. I wondered whether she had ever worked at the ballet.

My family and I went a couple of years ago.  The customs agent was a real * and sent us to immigration.  They said to my children: "Are these your parents?" Now mind you the two kids look exactley alike (Blonde, blue eyed) My wife has blonde hair and blue eyes, I have light brown (oK with grey) hair and blue eyes.  After the kids agreed that yes we were their parents the immigration agent gave us a form admitting us to Canada.  I was told to give the form to an officer.  Tried to find one, couldnt and when I finally did he took the form without looking at it, crumpled it up and threw it away.

Bienvenue a Canada.

770534[/snapback]

My mother and sister took my 8 year old son over the border 2 weeks ago to go to the butterfly conservetory near the Lewiston Queenston bridge. We wrote a note indicating that they had permission to take him.

The customs agent asked for a letter and his birth certificate, asked my son who the two people in the car were with him and if he recognized the handwriting in the note (which he identified as his mother's).

I was pleased that they were so thorough in looking out for the safety of my son.

Whenever we travel over the boarder with our child we bring his birth certificate. We are asked for it more often than not.

The border agents are being extra careful about confirming the identity of children as there have been a couple of cases in the past year of children being abducted over the border by estranged parents.

You ARE crossing into another country. I know we take it for granted because Canada is so close, but would you complain if you had been entering France, Germany or any other country and had to take 10 minutes to fill out a form?

You think you have it bad coming into Canada? Try being Canadian coming into the US. They want to see everything, and are not the most pleasant people at the border, usually giving off a more holier then thou attitude.

I went to a bunch of Sabres playoff games and had many experiences there. I had one officer laugh cause I went to the game by myself (cause it was a playoff game and I could only get the one ticket).

I have a friend who works at the border in Fort Erie and he says you would not believe the people you get some times and some of the stories of people that come through.

I have never needed more then my liscense to get across the border, even when I went through in Michigan on my way to Chicago for a couple days

You don't need a passport yet, however you do (and always have) need more than just a driver's license.  The standard thing to bring is your license and birth certificate.

770439[/snapback]

This is the best and most accurate advice given to you. Do you have a birth certificate?

The drivers license does not prove your citizenship which depending on the agent, you may be politely or not, informed of.

The passport law was amended and will be again before it ever gets implemeted.

The last I heard they were going to create a lower cost id card that you would have to obtain because some people can't afford the $100 or whatever it is for a passport.