Does it bother anyone?

I was on the long (depressing) drive home from Buffalo yesterday and I decided to listen to Drudge's radio show. He stated that reports have shown that several counties in Ohio have voter registration levels that are 103% of their population. He did so without mentioning whether dems, repubs or both were registering the "extra" voters.

I wonder what percentage of the overall population is registered to vote (my guess would be about 60%). If some counties have 103%, not only does it not pass the "smell test" but it also shows a lack of understanding of the term "standard deviation" if anyone thinks that anywhere near 100% would be registered anywhere. Is it just me or should this be an importannt story?

it should be, but it isn't.

nobody wants to bring it up because they'll be accused of "denying people the right to vote", like the dems do left and right as we speak.

At the same time though, I've lived in 6 places in the past 9 years. I could probably vote for president this year twice in PA, once in Mass, once in NYC, once in NJ and maybe even once in Buffalo. The system sucks. When you fill out a change of address with the post office they should send that to the dept of elections.....

I was on the long (depressing) drive home from Buffalo yesterday and I decided to listen to Drudge's radio show.  He stated that reports have shown that several counties in Ohio have voter registration levels that are 103% of their population.  He did so without mentioning whether dems, repubs or both were registering the "extra" voters.

I wonder what percentage of the overall population is registered to vote (my guess would be about 60%).  If some counties have 103%, not only does it not pass the "smell test" but it also shows a lack of understanding of the term "standard deviation" if anyone thinks that anywhere near 100% would be registered anywhere.  Is it just me or should this be an importannt story?

55361[/snapback]

I live in Ohio, and in my county (Darke County) I can tell you that for presidential elections typically about 68% of the registered voters turn out. This is a generally conservative part of the state and we have a decent mix between farming and manufacturing. There has been somewhat of a voter registration going on here, but for the most part the people around here are responsible and informed. They do not need to be talked into registering.

My bet is that this is taking place in the cleveland area. That part of the state is well known for its political corruptness. Also the youngstown and akron areas. these places have also been hot beds for voter fraud as well. Oh yea, by the way if you did not already know...all of those areas mentioned are highly liberal.

Please don't shoot the messanger, I am just telling you wnats been going on here since I moved to this state back in 1978.

I live in Ohio, and in my county (Darke County) I can tell you that for presidential elections typically about 68% of the registered voters turn out. This is a generally conservative part of the state and we have a decent mix between farming and manufacturing. There has been somewhat of a voter registration going on here, but for the most part the people around here are responsible and informed. They do not need to be talked into registering.

My bet is that this is taking place in the cleveland area. That part of the state is well known for its political corruptness. Also the youngstown and akron areas. these places have also been hot beds for voter fraud as well. Oh yea, by the way if you did not already know...all of those areas mentioned are highly liberal.

Please don't shoot the messanger, I am just telling you wnats been going on here since I moved to this state back in 1978.

55392[/snapback]

I can't remember the names of the counties but if you list a few it will remind me and I'll tell you if you are right. It may also be on his web site. I haven't looked.

Vote early, vote often, as they say. :lol:

It does bother me that so many people vote legitimately while others work to corrupt the system. And what happens to them when they're caught? Probation? You get more time and penalties for dubbing movies.

Unlike others, I wouldn't want to hazard a guess until there's hard evidence rather than surmising it. Criminals come in all colors, shapes, sizes and political affiliations, don't you know.

it should be, but it isn't.

nobody wants to bring it up because they'll be accused of "denying people the right to vote", like the dems do left and right as we speak.

At the same time though, I've lived in 6 places in the past 9 years. I could probably vote for president this year twice in PA, once in Mass, once in NYC, once in NJ and maybe even once in Buffalo. The system sucks. When you fill out a change of address with the post office they should send that to the dept of elections.....

55374[/snapback]

I just got a notice in the mail about where to vote from the town I moved away from five years ago. As long as its handled at the local level, it's going to be a disaster.

I once voted twice in a presidental election. In 1980 I was going to college in Wisconsin. I received an absentee ballot from New York and was allowed to vote live in Wisconsin. They had some short residence rule for being eligible to vote.

I was on the long (depressing) drive home from Buffalo yesterday and I decided to listen to Drudge's radio show.  He stated that reports have shown that several counties in Ohio have voter registration levels that are 103% of their population.  He did so without mentioning whether dems, repubs or both were registering the "extra" voters.

I wonder what percentage of the overall population is registered to vote (my guess would be about 60%).  If some counties have 103%, not only does it not pass the "smell test" but it also shows a lack of understanding of the term "standard deviation" if anyone thinks that anywhere near 100% would be registered anywhere.  Is it just me or should this be an importannt story?

55361[/snapback]

Population counts are based on the most recent census which I beleive was in 2000, no? Populations change in 4 years. Especially in rural counties where if one person moves out, the population is cut in half :) People missed by the census takers who do register could also make a difference I suppose.

I guess we would have to know a little more about the facts than are contained in the report. Which counties, for example?

The interesting registration issue is the sheer amount of new ones. It is incredible. I posted an article not too long ago on absentee voters living abroad registering in unbelievable numbers. Polling data that centers on registered voters or likely voters are based on information from 2000 which usually would be reliable. Not this time around, not with this volume of new registrations. This is one election in which the polls could be wildly off base either way although I will say this development seems to make republicans more nervous than democrats.

wow...voter fraud?  Somewhere other than Florida? How many Jeb Bush's and Kathryn Harrises are there? :)

55557[/snapback]

Doesn't Ohio still use a similar, if not the same, type of ballot that Florida used? If the vote is closer to even this election in Ohio we could see the same type of issue arise again.

It's pretty unbelievable that you can find a location of a Staples anywhere in the country but that there is no state-by-state national database for voter registry. I'm sure they could apply this with social security numbers, driver's license info, etc. And it would make it a lot easier to vote/register. It's not like the government doesn't have the information. I moved to the city 2 and a half years ago and they are still !@#$ing it up and indicating I am a new registrant, while also sending me info about my polling place, even though I've voted in the last 2 elections and primaries here.

Between the mismanagement of these records and the antics of Diebold, etc there are serious opportunities for democracy to be compromised in this country -- not that it isn't already with our choices from a field that is limited in more ways than one.

Population counts are based on the most recent census which I beleive was in 2000, no?  Populations change in 4 years.  Especially in rural counties where if one person moves out, the population is cut in half  :)  People missed by the census takers who do register could also make a difference I suppose. 

I guess we would have to know a little more about the facts than are contained in the report.  Which counties, for example?

The interesting registration issue is the sheer amount of new ones.  It is incredible.  I posted an article not too long ago on absentee voters living abroad registering in unbelievable numbers.  Polling data that centers on registered voters or likely voters are based on information from 2000 which usually would be reliable.  Not this time around, not with this volume of new registrations.  This is one election in which the polls could be wildly off base either way although I will say this development seems to make republicans more nervous than democrats.

55716[/snapback]

Census Schmensus. 103% is waaaaayyyy too high to have a 4 year out of date census be the culprit. There is no way that there is any county in the country where 100% of actual eligible voters are registered. It doesn't matter how small the county is. That would be a statistical phnomenon fer greater than winning the lottery.

I once voted twice in a presidental election. In 1980 I was going to college in Wisconsin. I received an absentee ballot from New York and was allowed to vote live in Wisconsin. They had some short residence rule for being eligible to vote.

that's how carter got so many votes, pastajoe voted twice!!!

Vote early, vote often, as they say.  :angry:

It does bother me that so many people vote legitimately while others work to corrupt the system. And what happens to them when they're caught? Probation? You get more time and penalties for dubbing movies.

Unlike others, I wouldn't want to hazard a guess until there's hard evidence rather than surmising it. Criminals come in all colors, shapes, sizes and political affiliations, don't you know.

55436[/snapback]

Hey, that is Illinois!

Get rid of the absentee ballot (or somehow reform the pig), vote on Saturday. Be there or be square!

:angry:

:angry:

It's pretty unbelievable that you can find a location of a Staples anywhere in the country but that there is no state-by-state national database for voter registry.  I'm sure they could apply this with social security numbers, driver's license info, etc.  And it would make it a lot easier to vote/register.  It's not like the government doesn't have the information.  I moved to the city 2 and a half years ago and they are still !@#$ing it up and indicating I am a new registrant, while also sending me info about my polling place, even though I've voted in the last 2 elections and primaries here.

Between the mismanagement of these records and the antics of Diebold, etc there are serious opportunities for democracy to be compromised in this country -- not that it isn't already with our choices from a field that is limited in more ways than one.

55960[/snapback]

So true!