Seat belt frequency

LabattBlue

How often do you use your seatbelt?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you use your seatbelt?

• All the time. 1 block or 500 miles.
    • Some of the time. Depends on where I'm going.
    • Never. I hate being restrained.

Seat belts have to be one of the cheapest things you can do to avoid dying prematurely. A ruffled suit and a little less range of motion is definitely worth decreasing your risk of death.

Doing a Google search, I found some statistics from NHSTA about seat-belt use. About 75% of Americans wear their seat belts regularly but those who do not wear them account for 60% of all traffic fatalities.

Seventy-three percent of the people who were involved in a fatal crash in 2001 and were restrained survived; of those who were not restrained, only 44 percent survived.

I am happy to take risks, sometimes riskier things than going without a seat belt, but this one doesn't seem worth it.

But hey, I understand that people who were not brought up to wear them have a hard time changing. So many times I have had to remind my 60 year old father to buckle-up when driving with him and it still hasn't stuck. And he's been in a bad car accident before.

Seat belts have to be one of the cheapest things you can do to avoid dying prematurely. A ruffled suit and a little less range of motion is definitely worth decreasing your risk of death.

Doing a Google search, I found some statistics from NHSTA about seat-belt use. About 75% of Americans wear their seat belts regularly but those who do not wear them account for 60% of all traffic fatalities.

Seventy-three percent of the people who were involved in a fatal crash in 2001 and were restrained survived; of those who were not restrained, only 44 percent survived.

I am happy to take risks, sometimes riskier things than going without a seat belt, but this one doesn't seem worth it.

But hey, I understand that people who were not brought up to wear them have a hard time changing. So many times I have had to remind my 60 year old father to buckle-up when driving with him and it still hasn't stuck. And he's been in a bad car accident before.

765241[/snapback]

Seatbelts are Darwin's friend.

765241[/snapback]

My wife and me have been looking to buy a new car for her. The two models we are interested in have antilock brakes and a side/head curtain airbags as factory options.

Finding a new car on the dealer lots around here with those hasn't met with much success. The dealers know full well they will have much better sales luck if they order them with fancy wheels, 400 watt stereos, and those goofy rocker box aero moldings and deck spoilers. :doh:

My wife and me have been looking to buy a new car for her. The two models we are interested in have antilock brakes and a side/head curtain airbags as factory options.

Finding a new car on the dealer lots around here with those hasn't met with much success. The dealers know full well they will have much better sales luck if they order them with fancy wheels, 400 watt stereos, and those goofy rocker box aero moldings and deck spoilers.  :doh:

765279[/snapback]

Which cars?

I'm curious to find out for those people who don't always wear them - are you of an age that when you started driving seat belts may not have been included in most cars?

I'm not quite 40, I just never wore them growing up so I'm not automatically conditioned to put it on when I get in the car/truck so I always forget. The only times that I wear one is on long road trips when I will eventually remember or when my kids are in the car and they make me put it on as soon as we pull out.

Which cars?

765282[/snapback]

Chevrolet Malibu LT or Cobalt LT. 2006 left-over or new 2007.

The LTZ version of the Cobalt has ALB standard, and the LTZ Malibu has ALB and the side bag package standard. But both of those have leather, which we do not like, and both have wider tires with performance tread - not the best for winter traction.

Good question - very interesting.

I'm curious to find out for those people who don't always wear them - are you of an age that when you started driving seat belts may not have been included in most cars?

I always wear my seatbelt (even when I ride in the back), but I've grown up with seatbelts. I'm wondering if I would be like this if I were older and started driving when cars didn't always have seatbelts - would I have grown accustomed to NOT wearing one and subsequently disliked them today?

Also curious to hear from people who always wear seatbelts - do you always wear one if you are a passenger in the rear seat as well, or is it limited to being in the front seat?

764969[/snapback]

In my old truck (caravan), i wore it most of time since it wasn't very uncomfortable. I got a new car, (Honda Civic), and i seriously feel like I'm being choked.

I know I should since I once got into a huge car accident where I had my seatbelt and I survived with barely a scratch...