Why is Coy Wire still on the team

SACKMARINO

Why is Coy Wire still on the team  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Why is Coy Wire still on the team

• He has video tape of Greggg Williams "blowing away" TD and Ralph at the interview
    • He's one of the few men willing to touch Ralph's daughter
    • He knows where Ralph hid the bodies
    • He has a great lawyer and managed to have his own claus added to Tom Brady's deal with the Devil
    • Talent
    • Post your own suggestion

The new Collective Bargaining Agreement.

It's complicated and needs explaining, not just to RW.

The 13 teams playing Buffalo this year must name at least 1 player to be kept on the roster. Those teams pay that player's match payments.

It's designed, like the draft for parity- helps teams with crappy players match them up on even crappier players.

It also reduces embarrasement for players. If you sucked that day, you've always got someone else on the team to stand next to and look good.

It works for the other 31 teams too. For example, that's how Bennie's in Miami.

We lucked out last year, player payments were way down...RW was rapped:blush:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does everyone keep saying he is ST captain??????

760000[/snapback]

Whatever his ST title is at the moment, 3 different head coaches and 2 different GM's have kept him on the roster for 5 separate seasons. By now, the only logical conclusion is that - contrary to what everyone here allegedly says - Wire has SOME sort of ability at the pro level. And since he's not starting at SS but is routinely seen with the first units on special teams, I'm guessing that the coaches think he should stick around because he's a pretty good ST'er. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I trust Bobby April's opinion of who's good and who's not over yours.

FWIW, I'm not a pro-Wire guy. I think we should only keep 4 safeties, and with a healthy Bowen (who is supposedly also good at special teams), I think Wire needs to go to make room for Gates or a vet OL player or another MLB.

But I also don't like to see Bills fans have such rabid hatred for a decent guy who isn't claiming to be anything better than a roster role player and emergency-only safety. Wire doesn't molest girls in public restrooms or skip out on child support payments or flee from the law after murdering his ex-wife; he's a Stanford grad with a blue-collar work ethic that this region - while he still wears the Bills jersey - should embrace.

That's all I'm saying

Whatever his ST title is at the moment, 3 different head coaches and 2 different GM's have kept him on the roster for 5 separate seasons. By now, the only logical conclusion is that - contrary to what everyone here allegedly says - Wire has SOME sort of ability at the pro level. And since he's not starting at SS but is routinely seen with the first units on special teams, I'm guessing that the coaches think he should stick around because he's a pretty good ST'er. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I trust Bobby April's opinion of who's good and who's not over yours.

FWIW, I'm not a pro-Wire guy. I think we should only keep 4 safeties, and with a healthy Bowen (who is supposedly also good at special teams), I think Wire needs to go to make room for Gates or a vet OL player or another MLB.

But I also don't like to see Bills fans have such rabid hatred for a decent guy who isn't claiming to be anything better than a roster role player and emergency-only safety. Wire doesn't molest girls in public restrooms or skip out on child support payments or flee from the law after murdering his ex-wife; he's a Stanford grad with a blue-collar work ethic that this region  - while he still wears the Bills jersey - should embrace.

That's all I'm saying

760046[/snapback]

While playing safety, he generally doesn't know who has the ball until a teammate tackles him. A great asset.

I just started seeing a girl who is a huge Coy Wire fan. She has a bunch of pictures of him all over and a jersey. It absolutely boogles my mind. I tell he is a really good guy, but as a NFL player he sucks. I told her last night that I hope she is prepared for the Wire cut and the guy makes the team again. I guess I maybe eating some crow soon. :w00t:

I just started seeing a girl who is a huge Coy Wire fan.  She has a bunch of pictures of him all over and a jersey.  It absolutely boogles my mind.  I tell he is a really good guy, but as a NFL player he sucks.  I told he last night that I hope she is prepared for the Wire cut and the guy makes the team again.  I guess I maybe eating some crow soon.  :w00t:

760064[/snapback]

maybe she'll be in a really good mood and you'll get to eat something else :doh:

But I also don't like to see Bills fans have such rabid hatred for a decent guy who isn't claiming to be anything better than a roster role player and emergency-only safety. Wire doesn't molest girls in public restrooms or skip out on child support payments or flee from the law after murdering his ex-wife; he's a Stanford grad with a blue-collar work ethic that this region  - while he still wears the Bills jersey - should embrace.

That's all I'm saying

760046[/snapback]

That's a good and fair post. Really good points made on all accounts. And I realize how big of a part of the game Special Teams is.

That said, we have had the #1 unit in the league in the last two years. Where has that gotten us. Is it more important to have good ST guys or players who play the position they are on the team for. So while Wire may or may not be a good STer (this has been debated many times), does anyone feel comfortable with him on the field at SS? :doh:

Again, I trust the coaches because they are professionals and I'm not. but personally, I keep a good running back like (Gates) & try and make him a good STer rather than keep a good ST who's not as good of a running back (Williams). Please feel free to assert any other cut position player (Baker, Wilson) in there against Wire. :w00t:

That's all I'm saying

760046[/snapback]

Dude, this is a great post, and I totally see your point. I'd just like to see Coy do SOMETHING on the field in a game that matters to convince me he deserves to stay on the roster.

That's a good and fair post.  Really good points made on all accounts.  And I realize how big of a part of the game Special Teams is. 

That said, we have had the #1 unit in the league in the last two years.  Where has that gotten us.  Is it more important to have good ST guys or players who play the position they are on the team for.  So while Wire may or may not be a good STer (this has been debated many times), does anyone feel comfortable with him on the field at SS?  :doh:

Again, I trust the coaches because they are professionals and I'm not.  but personally, I keep a good running back like (Gates) & try and make him a good STer rather than keep a good ST who's not as good of a running back (Williams).  Please feel free to assert any other cut position player (Baker, Wilson) in there against Wire.  :w00t:

760072[/snapback]

Interesting point. Has he any value as trade then to free up a roster spot and improve depth, notably at MLB? What is a "gun" special teamer worth when Moulds value was so little?

Maybe the first sentence of his bio has something to do with it... , obviously it doesn't mean he is still the ST Captain but...

760011[/snapback]

You just made my point for me. The only mention of him being ST captain is for some games in 2004 (the ONLY time/year he is mentioned as captain) - he was not even the captain for the entire year. There is no mention of him being ST captain at any other time in his career. Stamer's bio for 2004 also says he was a ST captain that year - it was obviously a rotational or game-to-game thing that year (the ONE year when Wire is mentioned as having been captain for some games).

I HATE when people think he has been ST captain for 3 years running. He was captain for some games in 2004 - and shared that honor with other players that year.

He has never led the ST in tackles - most years not even minimally in the top five. Last year his ST tackles was single digits - he had almost as many penalties on ST as tackles.

He is not on this team because he is 'ST captain' - he is here for the time being while Bowen gets to be 100%.

That's all I'm saying

760046[/snapback]

God I hate the "sure he may not be any good, but he's a good guy so he should be on the team" defense. Name one of the other 20 cuts today who molested a girl or murdered their ex wife. Shouldn't they all be on the team then? I think most if not all of them were decent guys too!!!!

I just started seeing a girl who is a huge Coy Wire fan.  She has a bunch of pictures of him all over and a jersey.......

760064[/snapback]

I was waiting for the punch line & it didn't come. How did she ever become a Coy Wire fan?

That is twilight zone-esque. :wub:

Dude, this is a great post, and I totally see your point.  I'd just like to see Coy do SOMETHING on the field in a game that matters to convince me he deserves to stay on the roster.

760140[/snapback]

I think a lot of people here are stuck in the time when he was a starter.....or the time of living in fear he would start.

Wire is a 3rd string SS & starting STer.

In Levy's book, he states that around 6 players should be on the roster for their ST abilities. Wire is surely one of these players.

He will probably rarely see the field anyway. The drop off in SS play between Wire & another 3rd string SS would (on average) be minimal but the drop off would be (on average) much greater for ST play.

This is one of the reasons why we are #1 in ST.

God I hate the "sure he may not be any good, but he's a good guy so he should be on the team" defense.  Name one of the other 20 cuts today who molested a girl or murdered their ex wife.  Shouldn't they all be on the team then?  I think most if not all of them were decent guys too!!!!

760367[/snapback]

Way to totally miss my point. Your reading comprehension skills flat out suck my giant balls tonight.

I never said he should make the team because he's a nice guy; I AGREE with you that Wire should be cut once Bowen is healthy.

My point is that because Wire's such a nice guy, he shouldn't be attacked with the frequency and magnitude that he gets from this board. Some even called out Wire as being stupid because he can't figure out which players to cover...even though Mr. Stanford's IQ is probably much higher than most of the dead-end job owning, overweight wife-banging, dumb!@#$ simpletons that permeate this board with their tired cliches and useless football observations.

No one thinks Wire is good. Point taken. But no one shuts the !@#$ up about it, either. It's called dead-horse beating. But it's the worst form of dead-horse beating: beating a horse that's irrelevant. Because Wire's impact on this team is mostly irrelevant.

It's a strange pathology, that's what it is. Picking a random back-up Buffalo Bill and bashing him relentlessly. Even the !@#$ing newbies on this board are chiming in, bashing Wire so to fit in around here. Hey, let's start a poll wondering why Wire didn't get cut! Throw in a couple choices about Wire having naked pics of someone, and bam! Instant comedy! Huh huh huh.

Want a legitimate Bills player to make fun of every other post? Why not Chris Kelsay? Guy is in his 4th year starting... he will probably do more to ruin this D than any other player. At least the Mormon dude is tall and can bat down passes thrown by the opposing QB which neither will ever get within 5 yds of...

Last thing: anyone who thinks Baker and Leonhard outperformed Wire in coverage the last two preseason games was probably smoking something illegal. Baker: nice guy, can't cover sh--. Leonhard: nice guy, likewise. Two cuts that were overdue. Weren't drafted for a reason. At least Wire can play special teams.

flat out suck my giant balls tonight.

Wow - what a mean and nasty thing to say - I bet Coy, being the decent person he is, would never say anything like that... :D

I never said he should make the team because he's a nice guy; I AGREE with you that Wire should be cut once Bowen is healthy.

I applaud your keen football sense :D

My point is that because Wire's such a nice guy, he shouldn't be attacked with the frequency and magnitude that he gets from this board.

Maybe Bennie Anderson was a nice guy? Maybe so was Chris Watson? Holcomb? Todd Collins? Where is your outrage when other players are villified? Every pro athlete has a personal life that few people actually know about - and everyone is fair game - that is just the nature of the beast.

No one thinks Wire is good. Point taken.

Actually there still are plenty who think he is ("ST Ace!") - they are just not as vocal anymore. I actually still read posts on other boards how great it would be if Coy got to play Fullback or Linebacker! :wub:

But it's the worst form of dead-horse beating: beating a horse that's irrelevant. Because Wire's impact on this team is mostly irrelevant.

Not if you ask all the people who still think he is our ST captain and irreplacable ST ace. It is also not irrelevant if he actually happens to see time on defense and runs around like a chicken with his head cut off missing tacles and coverage. Believe me also - there are still people who think he could still be a great safety - just gve him more time!

It's a strange pathology, that's what it is. Picking a random back-up Buffalo Bill and bashing him relentlessly. Even the !@#$ing newbies on this board are chiming in, bashing Wire so to fit in around here. Hey, let's start a poll wondering why Wire didn't get cut! Throw in a couple choices about Wire having naked pics of someone, and bam! Instant comedy! Huh huh huh.

I actually have been surprised myself by the number of people who are outspoken now about Wire - but I can't say it bothers me. He has hardly been selected by 'random'. His consistently awful play has been the reason for at least initial negative focus on him, plain and simple. Some people then jump on board - or become 'educated' to the realities of the situation.. :D

You should understand where I come from personally. In Wire's rookie year in his 2nd game I started watching him and he was horrible. I started to comment on it back then and was disagreed with almost universally. The frustrating thing was that the majority of people who took issue seemed to not be basing their opinion on any factual - you couldn't have been if you actually watched him play. Then when people actually grudgingly started to admit he might not be as good as they thought he was - it was the unleashing of endless excuse-makers and apologists. People seemed to want to blame Coy's terrible performance on anything but Coy himself. I personally have never seen anything like it in 35 years following the Bills - a player who was consistently so awful being protected by this legion of followers. That is why it became such a thorn in my side. And this mythology just grew - he is a great tackler, he is our perrenial ST captain, always a ST ace - none of it is true.

Want a legitimate Bills player to make fun of every other post? Why not Chris Kelsay? Guy is in his 4th year starting... he will probably do more to ruin this D than any other player.

Nice try - but you'd be hard pressed to find another player on this roster that is worse at their primary offensive/defensive position than Wire. And that holds for his whole career.

Last thing: anyone who thinks Baker and Leonhard outperformed Wire in coverage the last two preseason games was probably smoking something illegal. Baker: nice guy, can't cover sh--. Leonhard: nice guy, likewise. Two cuts that were overdue. Weren't drafted for a reason. At least Wire can play special teams.

I didn't see those games - and never keyed on those players in coverage. But I have keyed on Wire on STs - and have seen him do the same things on STs he does at SS - take bad angles, overrun plays, jump on piles. I don't recall him every making a great or even good open field tackle on STs. He had single digit ST tackles last year - I believe only three of those were solo/primary - and that is how many ST penalties he had. He is not a force on STs and is not our perrenial 'ST captain'.

Actually there still are plenty who think he is ("ST Ace!") - they are just not as vocal anymore.  I actually still read posts on other boards how great it would be if Coy got to play Fullback or Linebacker!  :D

760473[/snapback]

Maybe these are the same people who thought Jason Peters could play any number of positions. Now that Peters has settled in as a Pro Bowl RT B-) , Wire can now replace him as the "jack of all trades master of none". :wub:

Think about the potential...Wire as a WR, Wire as a RB, Wire as a speed rusher on passing downs. The skies the limit!! :D:D