Bills Cut Roster to 53

Matt in KC

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wire get a bad rap here.  He is a converted LB moved to SS.  His coverage skills are not what is expected out of a safety but he is better then any LB against RB's and TE's.  That said, he is a decent tackler, and good ST.  Overall he makes a pretty darn good backup, especially with Bowens hurt. 

On top of that he likely could be asked to gain 15 pounds and be switched a LB in a cover 2 set. 

Again, thinking out loud here.  :w00t:

760108[/snapback]

Then surely this staff would've noticed that mistake and converted him back to LB. The thing is he cannot cover in space and would be totally useless in 3rd and long situations. Regardless, he is a detriment to this team and takes up a valuable roster spot. Coy is no Mark Pike. Keeping Liam would've made more sense unless he's so totally lost on teams (which is quite hard to imagine).

I personally like Shaud Williams, but I was growing fond of Lionel Gates... that play he had in the Carolina game was incredible yet nothing to base a decision on.

I thought Rashad Baker was AWFUL, I'm somewhat relieved that Wire made it and he got cut, but Ko Simpson will have his say thrown in there. Other than that, Ezekial will slightly be missed on ST, and Eric King DEFINITLEY should have made it over that sack-of-crap Jabari Greer.

R.I.M. (Rest in Miami) Lionel Gates...

The Official Cuts

Here are the cuts, just posted by the Bills:

759863[/snapback]

Anyone want to contribute to cutting/pasting this list for practice squad eligibility? The ones I marked so far were from the article on the front page. I don't know what the rules for eligibility are.

Eligible to be placed on the PS (Y/N):

Rashad Baker

Eric Bassey - Y

Joe Burns

Brad Cieslak - Y

Liam Ezekiel

Lionel Gates

Justin Geisinger

Jon Goldsberry

Jason Hall

Wendell Hunter - Y

Fred Jackson

Jason Jefferson

Greg Jerman

Eric King

Jim Leonhard - N

Ryan Neill - Y

Joe Odom

Alan Ricard

Lauvale Sape

Jonathan Smith

Jason Thomas

George Wilson - Y

I think the biggest surprise to me is Rashad Baker. He always looked good as a back-up, and with Vincent being injury prone, he filled in good as a starter. The staff must really like Ko Simpson.

The O-Line really makes me nervous. If Peters or Gandy go down, we have to go to Brad Butler or Terrance Pennington. :doh:

Is Roscoe Parrish our punt returner?

Surprised we are going with only 1 FB. If Shelton gets injured who do we go with?

I know he's on IR, but why are we keeping Joe Burns? :w00t:

Congratulations to John DiGiorgio & Eric Powell for beating the odds.

Surprised we are going with only 1 FB. If Shelton gets injured who do we go with?

Congratulations to John DiGiorgio & Eric Powell for beating the odds.

760150[/snapback]

Some teams that only carry one FB (B'gals, for example), use a TE to back up the FB. Gives you a roster spot for another position.

Anyone want to contribute to cutting/pasting this list for practice squad eligibility? The ones I marked so far were from the article on the front page. I don't know what the rules for eligibility are.

Eligible to be placed on the PS (Y/N):

Rashad Baker N

Eric Bassey - Y

Joe Burns N

Brad Cieslak - Y

Liam Ezekiel Y

Lionel Gates Y

Justin Geisinger Y

Jon Goldsberry Y

Jason Hall Y

Wendell Hunter - Y

Fred Jackson Y

Jason Jefferson ?

Greg Jerman N

Eric King N

Jim Leonhard - N

Ryan Neill - Y

Joe Odom N

Alan Ricard N

Lauvale Sape N

Jonathan Smith N

Jason Thomas ?

George Wilson - Y

760147[/snapback]

Here are the rules. Anyone who was active for 9 or more games is not eligible:

Section 4. Eligibility:

The practice squad shall consist of the following players, provided that they have not served more than one previous season on a Practice Squad: (i) players who do not have an Accrued Season of NFL experience; and (ii) free agent players who were on the Active List for fewer than nine regular season games during their only Accrued Season(s). No player may be a practice squad player for more than two seasons.

(b) A player shall be deemed to have served on a Practice Squad in a season if he has passed the club’s physical and has been a member of a club’s Practice Squad for at least three regular season or post-season games (a bye week counts as a game provided that the player is not terminated until after the regular season or post-season weekend in question).

cutting GATES??????????  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

759872[/snapback]

I really liked Gates he showed me he can play in this league.I hope we get him back or he finds successs with someone else, hes a good player. Expect wire to get released as soon as bowen is healthy again, and baker to be resigned. we needed a backup ss for whitner. overall i like our roster this year. ill miss fast freddie tho :w00t:

I don't think I've ever even seen Milwaukee Thomas or whatever the hell his name is all preseason. This is a huge surprise to me. Looks to me like Levy cleaned house on a bunch of Donahoe's draft picks...

760142[/snapback]

Can we start calling him the Beast, or "Ol' Kiwaukee," after certain swills of choice?

Can we start calling him the Beast, or "Ol' Kiwaukee," after certain swills of choice?

760200[/snapback]

I like beast. It fits well. Or we could just start calling him diesel, cause i think diesel tastes just short of how bad milwaukees best tastes.

The Official Cuts

Here are the cuts, just posted by the Bills:

Rashad Baker

Eric Bassey

Joe Burns

Brad Cieslak

Liam Ezekiel

Lionel Gates

Justin Geisinger

Jon Goldsberry

Jason Hall

Wendell Hunter

Fred Jackson

Jason Jefferson

Greg Jerman

Eric King

Jim Leonhard

Ryan Neill

Joe Odom

Alan Ricard

Lauvale Sape

Jonathan Smith

Jason Thomas

George Wilson

759863[/snapback]

The trend seems to be that if you were a young TD guy, PEACE. If you're a young ML, welcome aboard!

I don't get any of the Gates love. Gates only has done OK against 2nd and 3rd teamers, Thomas has has 1,000+ yrds as a starter in the "regular season". Still wish him well though.

760221[/snapback]

I'd say a lot of the Gates love is derived from his awesome highlight reel 'helicopter' TD the other week. People see 1 cool play & assume the player is a keeper.

Caveat: I'm not saying he has no talent, I'm pointing out that national TV coverage improves the public perception of his talent.

....Surprised we are going with only 1 FB.....

760150[/snapback]

Others with more knowledge might be able to help here.

Does 1 FB imply that we run more plays without a FB?

Do we see more 3 & even 4 WR sets...or two TEs?

With Parrish & Reed both effectively being slot receivers, I am starting to feel that Fairchild has been a little misleading & will go with an offense that is closer to the Rams than what he has been showing/saying.

WM being used more in the passing game.....3/4 WR sets, spreading the field....

Does this make sense or am I dreaming?

I'd say a lot of the Gates love is derived from his awesome highlight reel 'helicopter' TD the other week.  People see 1 cool play & assume the player is a keeper. 

Caveat: I'm not saying he has no talent, I'm pointing out that national TV coverage improves the public perception of his talent.

760241[/snapback]

Not me, I've been on the Gates bandwagon since last preseason....I fully admit I don't have a lot of rationale for why I like him so much, I just have a feeling about the guy. There's also been a few runs where I've seen him take the corner like a madman, so I like his attitude. I don't pretend to know more than the coaching staff, I'm just sad to see him go :wub: