Bills Cut Roster to 53

Matt in KC

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Others with more knowledge might be able to help here.

Does 1 FB imply that we run more plays without a FB?

Do we see more 3 & even 4 WR sets...or two TEs?

With Parrish & Reed both effectively being slot receivers, I am starting to feel that Fairchild has been a little misleading & will go with an offense that is closer to the Rams than what he has been showing/saying.

WM being used more in the passing game.....3/4 WR sets, spreading the field....

Does this make sense or am I dreaming?

760247[/snapback]

Hard to say for sure until we see how the Bills operate their O in real games. My assumption is that players worked on all the plays in the playbook which undoubtedly has the FB used as a lead blocker in short yardage situations, situations where they are running to burn clock, plus other formations where the team is facing an offense which is weaker against the run than the pass.

The two difficulties with carrying 1 FB are:

1. If the FB gets hurt you cannot use a significant chunk of the playbook

2. When the FB comes in it tips your hand you will run.

I think the Bills will deal with this in part by the fact that everyone knows you are going to run when you are burning clock or in short yardage situations and any trick plays used in this situation where you pass rather than run are actually enhanced if the opponent sells out for the run stop because your FB is in.

Also, they do have an FB option in an emergency as TE Ryan Neufeld made the roster and in the past he has lined up in the backfield as an H-back.

In general though it appears that the Bills are going to make a lot of use of 3 WR sets as a base offense.