Bills Cut Roster to 53

Matt in KC

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will laugh my butt off if NE uses one of their roster spots for George Wilson.

760080[/snapback]

The thing about Wilson is that he hasn't done all that much in the actual games. He had that single great play two weeks about and a few nice grabs but much of the ballyhoo has been that he catches everything in practice. But teams don't have film of that, and a week before the season it's hard to imagine they're going to give a roster spot to this guy. I hope we get him for the practice squad, and we probably will. He may feel that he earned a spot on our team and deserved to make it so he will go to some other teams PS but he doesn't seem like that kind of guy the few times I have seen him speak.

Could Lionel Gates been a drug user and that is why he was cut?

This is based on absolutely no evidence but stay with me for a moment. Last year he was the first player signed in the draft, and was pretty adament about signing for pretty much anything. Travis Henry signed almost anything Donahoe was willing to offer as well and he had a cocaine problem. Maybe some kind of a connection?

Probably not, just thinking out loud.

Good Lord.  Beyond Preston, who will be a starter after Villarial gets his usual week 4 hang nail, we have NO depth on our line.  Keep yer fingers crossed....

760054[/snapback]

If "depth" means an Offensive Turnstile who is going to get your QB killed and still hasn't figured the position out after 6 years, you have to pass on it in favor of a guy who is learning but has upside. I'm so glad they've done this.

Could Lionel Gates been a drug user and that is why he was cut?

This is based on absolutely no evidence but stay with me for a moment. Last year he was the first player signed in the draft, and was pretty adament about signing for pretty much anything. Travis Henry signed almost anything Donahoe was willing to offer as well and he had a cocaine problem. Maybe some kind of a connection?

Probably not, just thinking out loud.

760090[/snapback]

Whose ass are you pulling this sh-- out of?

Whose ass are you pulling this sh-- out of?

760092[/snapback]

I said that there was no real basis for any argument. Just thinking out loud. But Henry did have a cocaine problem and that is why he was signed to that one year extension for $1 million. Just some similarities kind of from a hung over persons perspective. Don't shoot.

Lionel Gates?

Wow.

759865[/snapback]

Gates is not very good, the Bills cut better backs almost every year. A-Train at least has something special, his speed, even if he won't suffice as an emergency starter if McGahee goes down.

I'm interested to see how they plan on using Shaud Williams, it sure appeared last year that he couldn't get it done at all when he made a complete monkey out of Mularkey and his 3rd down package or couldn't get a yard running inside to save his life. Seems they cut a lot of Donahoe's depth guys in favor of Levy's new guys, I don't know why Shaud made it. The team certainly does not lack for return men even without FF Smith. I will be surprised if they don't sign another back.

I said that there was no real basis for any argument. Just thinking out loud. But Henry did have a cocaine problem and that is why he was signed to that one year extension for $1 million. Just some similarities kind of from a hung over persons perspective. Don't shoot.

760097[/snapback]

This sucks. Fred Jackson and Rashard Lee and Alan Ricard and Jon Goldsbery had cocaine problems too? Man, what happened to Levy and his high character guys? First one running back may have had a cocaine problem on the Bills three years ago and now we find out that probably all of them do?

The thing about Wilson is that he hasn't done all that much in the actual games. He had that single great play two weeks about and a few nice grabs but much of the ballyhoo has been that he catches everything in practice. But teams don't have film of that, and a week before the season it's hard to imagine they're going to give a roster spot to this guy. I hope we get him for the practice squad, and we probably will. He may feel that he earned a spot on our team and deserved to make it so he will go to some other teams PS but he doesn't seem like that kind of guy the few times I have seen him speak.

760083[/snapback]

Back to the "awards" that the Bills handed out to honor some of the guys during camp. Wilson got hands award, and Gibson got honorable mention at immovable object, with Peters winning. Well in game time I was pretty happy with Wilson in a couple games, but neither Gibson or Peters deserves to be on the field in game time if preseason is any indication.

My biggest surprise was Hunter. I thought he looked good all preseason long.

Another year of Coy Freakin' Wire!!!!!  NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

760093[/snapback]

Wire get a bad rap here. He is a converted LB moved to SS. His coverage skills are not what is expected out of a safety but he is better then any LB against RB's and TE's. That said, he is a decent tackler, and good ST. Overall he makes a pretty darn good backup, especially with Bowens hurt.

On top of that he likely could be asked to gain 15 pounds and be switched a LB in a cover 2 set.

Again, thinking out loud here. :w00t:

It just seems odd that there is a guy with talent like Gates has that is released. There has to be something else involved.

760106[/snapback]

Yeah, like inability to block, play STs, catch the ball, or basically do something other then plow straight ahead and hope for a hole. :w00t:

It just seems odd that there is a guy with talent like Gates has that is released. There has to be something else involved.

760106[/snapback]

A-Train is a beast catching the ball out of the backfield. In his ROTY season, he looked like a vet catching screens and short passes then getting positive yardage afterward.

my guess is if you're not 1st or second string, this regime is mainly concerned with what you can do on ST. Maybe Gates lacks the special team abilities that Shaud possesses. (same thing with Wire)

759882[/snapback]

My feeling is that there are probably 10-15 players on every roster in the NFL, whose talents go un-tapped, becuase they are not used in situations (if they are used at all) that take advantage of what they can do. I think Shaud Williams fits into that category...I kind of see him as a mini-Warrick Dunn type, who can catch the ball out of the backfield, is not an awful blocker, and has some speed. He is not an every down type of back, to be sure, but he has some value.

My guess is that, god forbid, McGahee and A-train were both to be injured for any period of time, the Bills would sign the best RB available, in the mold of McGahee and A-train, an every down back. If Williams were to get hurt, they would not necessarily look to replace him with someone similar.

Gates was a nice player, cool name, but, in the end, McGahee is going to be carrying the ball nearly every down, I think, and it would seem Jauron was more comfortable going with a guy he knows, who has been productive for him (A-train), rather than another un-know commodity...

While it is hard to be shocked over any of the cuts, I am probably most surprised that Baker and Wilson got the ax...I didn't see a lot of the preseason, but it seems like Andre Davis made most of his impact on special teams...I know special teams are a high priority with this coaching staff (nothing wrong with that), but so too, should be hanging on to the football. It seems like we have a plethora of great special teamers, and kind of a murky picture at wide receiver, beyond Evans and Price...