Cheers to Alex Van Pelt!

Orton's Arm

Yeah! Nice catch, HA!

Too bad Alex Van Pelt isn't the Quarterbacks coach. Turk Shonert is.

AVP is the quality control coach. Not the same thing, nor responsible for the QBs.

758220[/snapback]

AVP spends most of his time with the QBs. Shonert is(or will be) expendable.

Well, either, or, either way, whatever who cares, cheers to both of them...numbers like that....outstanding!

Turk was a career back-up too, correct? Maybe for Seattle if my mind doesn't escape me? Funny how these career back-ups become good coaches....i.e. Kubiak as well! Well, he will be a good one in my mind....unproven at this point, but still interesting.

AVP spends most of his time with the QBs.  Shonert is(or will be) expendable.

758226[/snapback]

Chris Brown wrote a recent article on this topic. Of Van Pelt he says: "Van Pelt has opened Losman's eyes to a whole different way of digesting the playbook. He's helped Losman recognize the importance of understanding not just what the play call is, but when and why plays are being chosen. He's had Losman look at the play from a defensive perspective so he can better anticipate what might be coming."

Well if we're throwin out kudos to all, we might as well throw out kudos to Don-a-gay for drafting him, Mularkey for screwing up his mind, and then, lets give Mike Martz some credit for giving Fairchild the infinite wisdom to put JP on the path from a systemic point of view...I mean, where does it end? Hell, let's give Van Miller some credit for being so optimistic all these years!

Fact is, these position coaches eat, sleep, and breath with these kids at the given position. The Coordinators are like upper-level Mangers, and they manage on a macro level. They don't hammer out mechanics play after play, day after day, minute by minute like the position coach.

The position coach, and in this case, the off control coach, need to be commended on the progress of these QB's picking up this new system so quickly, while mistakes are decreasing.

Fairchild coached RB's when he was here the 1st go-round...you think he knows more about the QB position than Turk, or AVP? If you do, give me a shot of that crown you're drinkin, and I have some oceanfront property in Phoenix I need to tell ya about.

Here's to Turk and AVP.

Fairchild coached RB's when he was here the 1st go-round...you think he knows more about the QB position than Turk, or AVP? If you do, give me a shot of that crown you're drinkin, and I have some oceanfront property in Phoenix I need to tell ya about.

Here's to Turk and AVP.

758319[/snapback]

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of good system building & play calling but hey, MM showed that that makes no difference to the success of the QB. :lol:

Here's to Turk and AVP.

758319[/snapback]

I knew someone would go there. The only rb coaching experience fairchild has is with the bills. The majority of his backround is quaterback coaching

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/coach.jsp?coach_id=21

Fairchild, a native of Decatur, IL, was a standout college quarterback who set national passing records at San Diego Mesa Community College…became the first junior college player to throw for 5,000 yards in route to earning all-America honors and two consecutive Junior College Most Valuable Player awards…at San Diego Mesa Community College, Fairchild played under then-assistant coach Mike Martz…moved to Colorado State where he was a second-team all-Western Athletic Conference selection

COACHING EXPERIENCE: Enters his first season as the Bills offensive coordinator after serving as the offensive coordinator for the St. Louis Rams for the past three seasons…in 2005, the Fairchild-led Rams offense finished second in the NFC with 252.3 passing yards per game…in 2003, Fairchild's first season as offensive coordinator/quarterbacks, the Rams ranked third in the NFL averaging 247.6 passing yards per game…he also guided quarterback Marc Bulger to his first Pro Bowl appearance following the 2003 season...prior to his stint with St. Louis (2003-05), Fairchild spent two seasons with the Buffalo Bills as running backs coach (2001-02) where he guided running back Travis Henry to produce a career-best 1,438 rushing yards and earn his first career Pro Bowl bid in 2002.…Bills fullback Larry Centers also earned Pro Bowl honors under Fairchild's tutalege…before being named the Bills running backs coach in 2001, Fairchild spent eight seasons at Colorado State (1993-2000), including the last four as offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach…began his coaching career in 1982 at Mesa Community College in San Diego before moving to Ferris State University in Big Rapids, Michigan, from 1984-85…coached tight ends and was recruiting coordinator for San Diego State in 1986, then was offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach at New Mexico from 1987-89…returned to coach quarterbacks at San Diego State from 1990-92, where he tutored the Seattle Seahawks' first-round draft pick Dan McGwire.

I believe they all deserve some credit if and when JP proves it when the bullets are flying for real, but so far job well done. Next time be more informed about the guy you're posting about before jumping to conclusions.

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of good system building & play calling but hey, MM showed that that makes no difference to the success of the QB. :lol:

758323[/snapback]

I agree, but this talk of systems, and things being "systemic" is way over-blown in in my mind. The whole game is systemic, and each position is a part of that. To look at Mike Shanahan in Denver and say that anyone in his "system," or his running backs' success over the past years are all "systemic" is ignorant. The man can coach! His position coahes can coach! They have a beast of an O Line which is obviously the foundation! Thats not a system!!! That's how football is won. Its more of an equation!

Mc Nally will turn our O Line around b/c he's an awesome coach. One of the 1st things Levy/Jauron did was upgrade their coaching staff from "coaches" to "teachers." These kids need to still be taught! They're being taught....especially JP! Its obvious. We're improving because the foundations at each position are in place from a TEACHING standpoint. While being taught fundamentally, they are also being pushed, and challenged; nothing being promised....competition breeds the best in the true competitor! They are learning who really wants to put their balls on the chopping block, and compete to win the playin time! LOVE IT!

NOW, the beauty about Levy, is he understans that, yet he's not ignorant enough to ignore that if you dont have the horses, you aint winnin the race. So he's doing the happy medium. He is upgrading talent, while surrounding that green talent (no surprise he's going after young people with potential) with superior teaching.

He has stabalized the organization. In one FRIGGIN year! Amazing! Don't get me wrong, I believe we're 7-9 this year, at best 8-8...but no one wants to play us second half because he's got good kids, ready to work, wantin to get better, and that are good citizens, wanting to kick butt....its gonna work...and in this day and age...it may work in as little as 3 years with the salary cap structure the way it is....Marv knows that.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!

PS: I'm drunk! Haha. Bills til I die.

I knew someone would go there. The only rb coaching experience fairchild has is with the bills. The majority of his backround is  quaterback coaching

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/coach.jsp?coach_id=21

I believe they all deserve some credit if and when JP proves it when the bullets are flying for real, but so far job well done.  Next time be more informed about the guy you're posting about before jumping to conclusions.

758335[/snapback]

I did go there, and the reason was is because Turk and AVP played in the league man. Do you know what that means? Do you know how f_ckin good they had to be to get there? I am not baggin on Fairchild, cause I think he's dope as hell, but I think some of us forget, that some of our "sophomore" coaches teachin quality control, and QB's MADE IT TO THE LEAGUE!!!!! THE NFL! I mean, c'mon, they made it to the league. Do you know how good you need to be to get there? I don't care how many years Fairchild coached QB's at Costa Mesa or wherever....we're talkin 2 dudes that played QB in the NFL for years on end....do you honestly believe he knows more about the position than they do? Other than President, its the most celebrated, visable, competitive job in the United States Of America....if they break wind, we all know about it. Turk Shonnert, and AVP did it for years on end for a LONG period of time...there's no way Steve Fairchild knows more about the position than they do...not a chance. Thats my point. Otherwise, why would Sam Wyche have been millin around last year, he's the same case in point. JP credits Wyche for all his developemnt. The position coaches never get looked at for credit.

Well if we're throwin out kudos to all, we might as well throw out kudos to Don-a-gay for drafting him, Mularkey for screwing up his mind, and then, lets give Mike Martz some credit for giving Fairchild the infinite wisdom to put JP on the path from a systemic point of view...I mean, where does it end? Hell, let's give Van Miller some credit for being so optimistic all these years!

Fact is, these position coaches eat, sleep, and breath with these kids at the given position. The Coordinators are like upper-level Mangers, and they manage on a macro level. They don't hammer out mechanics play after play, day after day, minute by minute like the position coach.

The position coach, and in this case, the off control coach, need to be commended on the progress of these QB's picking up this new system so quickly, while mistakes are decreasing.

Here's to Turk and AVP.

758319[/snapback]

You know, in your entire post you don't give one ounce of credit to the baby jesus.

Despite this GLARING mistake I think it's a good post altogether.

:lol:

LOL General Lee...I don't mean to bring the Bible into this (JOKE) but in a weird way, that was my point! Lets not make this a love fest! F Dona jiggy, and F Mularkey, but they indeed left us with a gunslingin kid who loves to be here, and just bought a home in downtonw B Lo...this kid may be a bit west coast, but he's no RJ...he wants to make it happen and I commend him for that! He's got spunk, and I will tell you this, if he makes it happen in Buffalo, he's gonna be the man in my hometown! And good for him I say!

He's a gunslinger! He's fun to watch! And I will be at the Chicago/Bills bar (Delilah's) cheerin him on til the final whistle because we found a kid who actually wanted to move to Buffalo (of course after contractual obligations, and the fact we made him a millionaire), but this kid came, he tried to engrain himself, and he's tryin to instill some pride in his job and where its at! I thinks thats cool. Pretty damn cool! He's becoming coachable. He's improving. His teammates are following him more and more, and the kid is growin up...he's becoming a leader. I hope it turns out, cause in my mnd, love him or hate him, JP Losman has been nothin but class throughout this entire thing....period. And last year, I was a Holcombe guy....go figure. JP brothers.

Well, either, or, either way, whatever who cares, cheers to both of them...numbers like that....outstanding!

Turk was a career back-up too, correct? Maybe for Seattle if my mind doesn't escape me? Funny how these career back-ups become good coaches....i.e. Kubiak as well! Well, he will be a good one in my mind....unproven at this point, but still interesting.

758247[/snapback]

I think Turk played for the Bungles...

???

Losman: 5-5, 52 yards, 0 TD/0 INT

Holcomb: 4-4, 81 yards, 0 TD/0 INT

Nall: 7-11, 119 yards, 1 TD/1 INT

With Buffalo's quarterbacks playing like this, you have to give credit to the quarterback coaches in general, and Alex Van Pelt in particular.

758195[/snapback]

Hey HA, it looks like Tim Anderson will be starting at DT. He was a TD 3rd round pick in 2004.....you'd better adjust your sig. :)

Hey HA, it looks like Tim Anderson will be starting at DT.  He was a TD 3rd round pick in 2004.....you'd better adjust your sig. :)

759350[/snapback]

Mmmmph. Let's see if he actually earns that starting position, or just gets it through default/seniority. But you're right, I need to keep an eye on this.

With what little actual information dribbles out of the bowels of OBD, I do get the impression that both Shonert and Van Pelt have been working with QBs in general and Losman in particular. I saw the blurb about Van Pelt and learning the playbook, and the Buffalo News article about Shonert helping with footwork. Whatever works, baby!