Heard Mort on the radio in ATL this morning

He "confirmed" that Buffalo was one of several teams talking to Collins but that Collins felt that his best chance to start was in Tennessee. I don't put too much faith in what he says but if true that means Holcomb is on thin ice, as many of us suspect. He also said that the Vikings are showing interest in Deion Branch. I found an article backing that claim.

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/636989.html

I'd be pleased to see Branch go to the NFC.  :D

I still have a hard time seeing anyone giving up a 1st rounder for Branch, in conjunction with the high salary he wants to be paid. As good as he is, he's never had more than 1,000 yards (he was 2 yards shy last year, but that was in a full 16-game season) and 5 TD's in a season, and has had injury problems.

considering the offensive scheme seems to be moving the ball vertically down the field. Our previous interest it would seem in kerry collins makes sense.  Right now I'd be looking to move Holcomb to the chargers who have 2 rookies behind Phillip Rivers.

756433[/snapback]

Given the chargers situation Holcomb might look good enough for a low round draft pick. Or maybe they have a decent reserve Offensive lineman they might give us for him. In any event I don't think Kelly is long for the Bills.

I still have a hard time seeing anyone giving up a 1st rounder for Branch, in conjunction with the high salary he wants to be paid.  As good as he is, he's never had more than 1,000 yards (he was 2 yards shy last year, but that was in a full 16-game season) and 5 TD's in a season, and has had injury problems.

756434[/snapback]

That would be a steep price to pay. Is that what the Pat's are asking for?

Still, he's a fine player - one who helps his qb out. Brady will miss him if he sits out or moves on.

He "confirmed" that Buffalo was one of several teams talking to Collins but that Collins felt that his best chance to start was in Tennessee.  I don't put too much faith in what he says but if true that means Holcomb is on thin ice, as many of us suspect.  He also said that the Vikings are showing interest in Deion Branch.  I found an article backing that claim.

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/636989.html

756153[/snapback]

The Vikings are definitely interested in Branch. They're also interested in Todd Pinkston who just got cut from the Eagles (Brad Childress connection). They're desperate for a "veteran" receiver to add to their crazy-young corps.

The Vikings are definitely interested in Branch. They're also interested in Todd Pinkston who just got cut from the Eagles (Brad Childress connection). They're desperate for a "veteran" receiver to add to their crazy-young corps.

Even though Pinkston is nowhere near Branch's ability, he'll probably help more, and immediately, given he knows Childress' system. Plus he won't cost a draft pick or a huge contract.

I can only surmise that they'd be asking for a 1st rounder for him.  Word is that if he sits out 10 games this year and returns to collect his year of eligibility, they'll franchise him next year.

756555[/snapback]

I doubt it. The cheap ass patriots paying the franchise number? Bob Kraft's a-hole must pucker at just the THOUGHT of that...

Even though Pinkston is nowhere near Branch's ability, he'll probably help more, and immediately, given he knows Childress' system.  Plus he won't cost a draft pick or a huge contract.

756557[/snapback]

IF Pinkston comes back at full speed. Guessing the Iggles wouldn't have dumped him if they thought that was going to happen.

Heard Mort say on ESPN radio last night that the QB competition in Buffalo was a sham...that JP was going to get it all along. First thing I've agreed with him regarding the Bills since his bitter remarks last draftday.

Even though Pinkston is nowhere near Branch's ability, he'll probably help more, and immediately, given he knows Childress' system.  Plus he won't cost a draft pick or a huge contract.

756557[/snapback]

Yeah their ability levels are completely off. Also, Pinkston's still on the mend from a ruptured Achilles last summer, and has been battling tendonitis in BOTH Achilles during training camp.

Heard Mort say on ESPN radio last night that the QB competition in Buffalo was a sham...that JP was going to get it all along.  First thing I've agreed with him regarding the Bills since his bitter remarks last draftday.

756586[/snapback]

A sham? Anyone who wrote a report about practice at training camp wrote that Losman looked better. I wonder how many practices Mort attended?

He has hit 65% of his passes in preseason and has thrown the ball down the field at over 8 yds per pass.

Mort knows jack and besides that anything he writes or says about the Bills will be negative because his buddy and number one team resource is no longer around.

Yeah I can't imagine the Patriots slapping the franchise tag on Branch. But I also can't see them allowing him to leave for nothing. I'm hoping he holds-out. :D

And I didn't realize Pinkston was coming off an injury.

As for the QB competition, from what I've heard recently, it was NOT a sham and Jauron hoped that Holcomb would win, because of his veteran experience and steadiness. JP also received less-than-glowing reviews from the players. However he impressed them while Holcomb stunk, and most have changed their minds about him.

I've heard that two 1st rounders is the asking price (which indicates that this is more a negotiating tactic than anything else, since no one would offer two 1st rounders for Branch).

If the Patriots are asking for 2-1st rounder then it's not even a negotiating ploy. No one will be willing to part with 2 of them, and I'd have a hard time believing any team would part with even just one of them, given his lack of great numbers.

But what it's supposed to prove is anyone's guess? Teams are MUCH more willing to pay a player the salary he wants, if a draft pick, much less a high one, isn't involved. So Branch likely hears the numbers he wants to hear, but also hears "sorry kid, we just can't give away 2-1st round picks for you."

Heard Mort say on ESPN radio last night that the QB competition in Buffalo was a sham...that JP was going to get it all along.  First thing I've agreed with him regarding the Bills since his bitter remarks last draftday.

756586[/snapback]

Yeah, I disagree that it was a sham. Holcomb could have easily done a great job when he came in as a back-up in the second game but he did not. They gave Losman an opportunity to sink or swim and he swam. Anyone paying attention to this QB battle has to agree that Losman looked better in almost every aspect of the game, accuracy, mobility, play making ability etc.. Mort went by what he heard others say, not by what he observed.

Yeah, I disagree that it was a sham.  Holcomb could have easily done a great job when he came in as a back-up in the second game but he did not.  They gave Losman an opportunity to sink or swim and he swam.  Anyone paying attention to this QB battle has to agree that Losman looked better in almost every aspect of the game, accuracy, mobility, play making ability etc.. Mort went by what he heard others say, not by what he observed.

Also, Holcomb was #1 on the depth chart for most of the off-season and the beginning of training camp, and got the start against the Panthers in the 1st pre-season game. Jp earned it.

Also, Holcomb was #1 on the depth chart for most of the off-season and the beginning of training camp, and got the start against the Panthers in the 1st pre-season game.  Jp earned it.

756762[/snapback]

But if they leapfrogged Losman over Holcomb to #1 for no reason then everyone would have said it was Losman's to lose all along and there really wasn't any competition. Holcomb ended the year as #1 on the depth chart, and he had seniority. It was the right thing to do to keep him there until he was knocked off. It's what all coaches do at virtually all positions. The coaches had determined that Crowell fit the scheme better and had played his way ahead of Posey so they jumped him over Posey based on what they saw on film. I think it was sham only in the sense that they knew Losman would win it, not that they already decided to give it to Holcomb or to Losman. They set it up for him to win because he had the better abilities. If he tanked in the practices then Holcomb or Nall would have started. But they basically assumed that Losman would win it because he would show the strong arm, the mobility, and the upside.

Usually when you set-up someone to win something, you give them more of an opportunity to prove themselves.  I agree that Holcomb ended the year #1 and thus remained there at the beginning of the off-season and training camp, which again points out that JP was NOT favored to win the QB competition.

756788[/snapback]

That makes no sense. It does not point out that at all. It points out that he ended the season as #1 last year and that is all it points out.

That makes no sense. It does not point out that at all. It points out that he ended the season as #1 last year and that is all it points out.

So you're saying that despite Holcomb being #1 on the depth chart and starting the 1st pre-season game, JP was actually favored to win the QB competition? At best I'll give you that it was truly an open competition, but I'll still stand by my claim that Holcomb was the favorite. The main point though is that JP was NOT favored or given extra reps.

So you're saying that despite Holcomb being #1 on the depth chart and starting the 1st pre-season game, JP was actually favored to win the QB competition?  At best I'll give you that it was truly an open competition, but I'll still stand by my claim that Holcomb was the favorite.  The main point though is that JP was NOT favored or given extra reps.

756805[/snapback]

It's a semantic argument. I definitely think he was favored to win the "open" competition. And it played out pretty much the way I and I'd imagine the Bills brass thought it would play out, and hoped it would play out, and pretty much planned on it playing out. They wanted him to fight for the job, to win it in front of his teammates and the fans, to have nothing handed to him and to fight for it everyday. And they knew that Holcomb was limited, the offense required a bigger arm, they brought in speed receivers and athletic TEs, and they had two career back-ups on the roster fighting it out to be the back-ups. They handled it perfectly. It worked out as it should have and most everyone except Holcomb, his arm, and Craig Nall are happy.

Well then, we'll agree to disagree.  I think most reasonable fans are happy that JP won, but I believe that Jauron and the vets wanted Holcomb to win, at least until JP started showing signs that he's starting to get it.

756822[/snapback]

Explain the chunkability comment then. Or the signing of Peerless to be the #2. Or the design of the offense and the OC.

So they wanted Holcomb to win and let him throw nine total passes in the pre-season? Nall was paid peanuts. Back-up money to be a back-up. And they're playing Peerless over Reed.

I don't think they rigged it. I don't think if Losman totally tanked and Holcomb shined they would have awarded it to Losman. I just think they knew it was going to happen. it was set up to happen. There isn't all the pressure in training camp and pre-season games. Losman should have won this competition because he has the best tools and most talent and he's in his third year when things should be getting easier for him. Holcomb and Nall are career back-ups. Losman is a boom or bust #1 pick starter.

I also heard that Branch was in talks with the Fins. Supposedly they were talking about sending Traylor and a draft pick. With the addition of Wilkinson would have to think that Tralor is expendable but this is only a rumor. That is the last team I want tosee Branch sign with

So they wanted Holcomb to win and let him throw nine total passes in the pre-season? Nall was paid peanuts. Back-up money to be a back-up. And they're playing Peerless over Reed.

I don't think they rigged it. I don't think if Losman totally tanked and Holcomb shined they would have awarded it to Losman. I just think they knew it was going to happen. it was set up to happen. There isn't all the pressure in training camp and pre-season games. Losman should have won this competition because he has the best tools and most talent and he's in his third year when things should be getting easier for him. Holcomb and Nall are career back-ups. Losman is a boom or bust #1 pick starter.

I think that Marv and Dick are men of their word. I doubt that Nall was strung-along thinking he had a shot at the starting job when it was all pre-determined. And someone should have informed Holcomb, because the guy seems like his heart was ripped out when he lost the starting job.

Whatever. Again we'll agree to disagree. The point is JP did enough to win the job and wasn't handed it, which will go a long way in the eyes of his teammates. Hopefully he'll continue to improve and his teammates will give it that extra effort.

I think that Marv and Dick are men of their word.  I doubt that Nall was strung-along thinking he had a shot at the starting job when it was all pre-determined.  And someone should have informed Holcomb, because the guy seems like his heart was ripped out when he lost the starting job.

Whatever.  Again we'll agree to disagree.  The point is JP did enough to win the job and wasn't handed it, which will go a long way in the eyes of his teammates.  Hopefully he'll continue to improve and his teammates will give it that extra effort.

756871[/snapback]

It's possible to have an "open competition" and simultaneously know and plan for and want to see who is going to win it. They aren't mutually exclusive. I think they were honest with Nall. I think they told him we're going to let you guys battle it out and whoever shows us the most is going to be our starting QB. And I think that's exactly what they did.

And I think they concurrently thought and planned for Losman to win it because he's the best QB they have. And he wouldn't be put in regular season games with real game planning and the other team doing all they can to screw him up, which was the only way IMO he would lose this open competition. He's a better QB, he just lacks experience. They want to throw the ball down the field, they want to utilize their speed, they want and like a QB who can run and scramble and move, they want to be able to strike in huge chunks. They don't want other teams to stack the line against Willis. Losman is the guy for all of that.

Of course, he may tank in the regular season and never make it in this league. But he wasn't going to lose this competition IMO against two guys with limited and limiting skills.

Of course, he may tank in the regular season and never make it in this league. But he wasn't going to lose this competition IMO against two guys with limited and limiting skills.

756886[/snapback]

It was said at the beginning of the year it would be a fair fight. It was. Losman won by a TKO. You haven't a shred of evidence that any thing else occured. It's total conjecture. And that can't be argued. It's also not logical and is just ranting. I'm sure lots of things happened in the minds at 1 Bills Dr and there were probably days going back and forth. But unless someone writes a book, that stuff is all behind closed doors. And you have to fabricate any "stories" you come up with. Marv could be banging the secretary. We can speculate anything.